• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top Coat Canvassing

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried searching around the forum looking for more information on this, but it seems that if it doesn't fall into the suit/jacket category, then it is not heavily discussed. Even I have to admit when shopping around for a nice casual top coat, it did not even occur to me until a random thread popped up briefly mentioning it. My basic question is, with a top coat, how big of a deal is it whether or not it is fused or canvassed (or I suppose half-canvassed)? The top coats I was looking at are more casual, e.g. the dark brown moleskin from BR and the charcoal herringbone one from J Crew. Admittedly not the best brands in SF opinion, but they both carry tall sizes and are 3/4 length. I know someone is going to hate on me for it, but I prefer the 3/4 length coats as opposed to the longer ones.

So in Short:

1. Is the canvassing on top coats that huge of a deal in regards to drape or is the fusing in of itself a reason not to get it? Also, does it mean the coats will inherently not last as long? I know (again) that SF hates on fusing, but as has been mentioned, most people don't encounter the dreaded "bubbling" (is that even an issue with top coats?).

2. If fully-canvassed top coats are really that much better, then perhaps someone can recommend me a brand (or brands) that make a nice dark brown moleskin top coat or wool charcoal top coat that won't break the bank (say less than $500). I know someone is going to suggest navy, but I often like to wear them with dark jeans and a sweater and I dislike the navy/navy scheme.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was kind of wondering whether nice coats are fully canvassed all the way down. My guess is that they're only canvassed as long as most fully canvassed sport coats with the rest fused. The material is usually too thick to easily tell. I have a Caruso made car coat that I could probably check.

In regards to J Crew and BR (Battle Rifle??), I'm guessing they're either fully fused or just canvassed lapels if anything.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I have asked this question before here and think that the consensus, not surprising, was that canvass is the way to go.

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BR = banana republic.

I know for a fact the J Crew coat is in fact fused and am assuming the BR one is as well. Is there an obvious brand I do not know of that would make a reasonably priced canvassed top coat? Brooks is the only one I can think of.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Find your size and measurements and look on ebay, yoox, etc.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was kind of wondering whether nice coats are fully canvassed all the way down. My guess is that they're only canvassed as long as most fully canvassed sport coats with the rest fused.

They may not be canvassed all the way to the hem, but the best coats will certainly not be fused either.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads