Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Top Chef Texas

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Nov 3, 2011.

1. sygyzy

sygyzy Senior member

I am not sure if my DirecTV DVR messed up or not but the first episode was just one hour long right? And they only got through 2 groups (out of 3)? Is it safe to assume that next week they'll do the final group and then leave some room for something else?

On a related note, I like following this site from Chicago called The Chicago Reader, mostly for their food and drinks section. They have a cool ongoing feature called "Key Ingredient" where Chicago chefs challenge each other to make a dish with a difficult ingredient (think rabbit lung). Once the chef completes the challenge, he/she gets to pick the next chef and ingredient. The most recent one is Beverly Kim. I really liked her so I googled her name and found out she's a contestant on Top Chef: Teaxs!

Chicago Reader: Beverly Kim

2. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

But mgm = that smarmy college kid from Master Chef!

I find it curious that although the talent level has increased each season, the winners haven't been progressively more impressive. Although I suppose I've never actually eaten at any of the winner's restaurants with the exception of Harold.

3. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

I think college-aged is a more apt description.

4. ErnestoG.

ErnestoG. Senior member

kevin and hosea stand out in my mind as two very weak winners.

this weeks episode was interesting. did anyone notice the judges disagreeing about a decision? i thought it was great how they eliminated that guy after shitty butchering

5. sygyzy

sygyzy Senior member

The weakest Top Chef winners in my opinion were: Ilan, Harold, and Hosea.

Have any of the winners, other than Blais, Voltagio, and Izard done anything significant with their careers after the show? I know some of them have restaurants but since I hear pretty much nothing about them, i am guessing their joints are pretty mediocre?

6. erictheobscure

I wouldn't categorize Harold Dieterle's Perilla as mediocre--I think it's a pretty good little West Village place. Haven't been to Kin Shop, but it generated a good bit of buzz when it opened.

Ilan and Hosea are worthless.

Oh, and isn't Hung opening up a place somewhere?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011

7. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    ilan's place in la is ... interesting. good nights and bad. always very weird.
    i'm not exactly sure what "success" means in these terms. write-ups? or the old-fashioned thing of running a good, solid, profitable restaurant and pleasing your customers.

8. erictheobscure

I'd somehow forgotten that Ilan runs a place in L.A. I'll take back my "worthless" assessment and reserve judgment for now.

Just checked out the menu for The Gorbals. I wish he had ended up cooking at a straight up Spanish food. It's been a long time since I lived in L.A., but there weren't too many notable Spanish/tapas places when I was there. Cobras & Matadors was the hotspot (does that date me?), but I never actually tried it.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011

9. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Seems to me like Hosea is in a class by himself as weakest winner. Hung was awesome.

10. sygyzy

sygyzy Senior member

I would expect to have heard from or about Hung by now. I feel like next to Voltagio, he was the strongest chef. That guy was a real joy to watch. Cocky, yes, but can't doubt his talent. I wish he would just open something up already.

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Your cooking looks very good.

12. insideman

insideman Senior member

I wrote a post before, but Hung just opened a huge seafood-based place in meatpacking called Catch, and its pretty awesome for a just opened place.

13. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

I recently saw Fabio on a Domino's Pizza commercial.

Yeah, it's always hard to pick out the interesting characters during the first episode or so. At first impression, I like the seafood guy from South Carolina (?). The sous chef sort of reminds me of Marcel. He could be surprising.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011

14. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Chicago represented very well. Granted, two of them are douchebags from moto, but still good stuff.

15. erictheobscure

Yeah, he's whoring himself out to shill "artisan" pizzas. I still can't help liking him though.