1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Top Chef Texas

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Didn't seem like there were that many interesting characters. Not sure how long I will stay tuned in.

2. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I don't get Bravo at my current place. I'll have to watch online or catch up next week when my friend invited people over to watch.

3. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

The executive chef going up against his sous chef might be an interesting storyline.

4. Manton

Perhaps, if I could stand to look at all those tats, piercings and bizarre heed shaving.

5. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

Didn't understand the gimmick of starting with larger pool and winnowing it down rapidly. The seasons only become fully enjoyable when there are about eight chefs left anyways.

6. Manton

+1 on 8 chefs. I tend to forget who the early-booted were for the most part, unless they were pretty girls.

7. Ambulance Chaser

Borrowed from The Ultimate Fighter. You don't know how good the competitors are, or how much they want to be there, until they prove it under pressure.

8. BlackToothedGrin

BlackToothedGrin Senior member

[​IMG]
    “My focus is on the quality of the ingredients, not the quantity”
    As long as it's a lot

1 person likes this.
  9. Manton

OK, she's not thin but she cooked a good dish. Never trust a skinny cook, as they say.

10. erictheobscure

Although watching that pasty-faced freak get booted off after five minutes of butchering was really, really satisfying.

1 person likes this.
  11. Ambulance Chaser

The guy from Santa Monica who compared himself to Blais and Voltaggio could be worth watching.

12. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Which Voltaggio?

13. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

I know one of the chefs but am on the road and haven't had a chance to watch yet (don't generally watch the show). Who got cut?

EDIT: Found the clips and results; she's on the bubble.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  14. sonick

sonick Senior member

The private chef angle and the cockiness reminded me of mgm...

15. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    i don't know ... caught up with it on dvr last night. the show has really evolved from early years where it was a mix of "who's that" professionals and fairly talented amateurs to this year where there appears to be really strong top-to-bottom talent. i know this is a progression ... there were really good cooks last year, too, but more dross, it seemed. Still, it remains to be seen whether that makes for entertaining television. could be more like one of those horrible "chefs tables" where some people think it's a privilege just to be in the kitchen.

16. sygyzy

sygyzy Senior member

I am not sure if my DirecTV DVR messed up or not but the first episode was just one hour long right? And they only got through 2 groups (out of 3)? Is it safe to assume that next week they'll do the final group and then leave some room for something else?

On a related note, I like following this site from Chicago called The Chicago Reader, mostly for their food and drinks section. They have a cool ongoing feature called "Key Ingredient" where Chicago chefs challenge each other to make a dish with a difficult ingredient (think rabbit lung). Once the chef completes the challenge, he/she gets to pick the next chef and ingredient. The most recent one is Beverly Kim. I really liked her so I googled her name and found out she's a contestant on Top Chef: Teaxs!

Chicago Reader: Beverly Kim

17. erictheobscure

But mgm = that smarmy college kid from Master Chef!

I find it curious that although the talent level has increased each season, the winners haven't been progressively more impressive. Although I suppose I've never actually eaten at any of the winner's restaurants with the exception of Harold.

18. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

I think college-aged is a more apt description.

19. ErnestoG.

ErnestoG. Senior member

kevin and hosea stand out in my mind as two very weak winners.

this weeks episode was interesting. did anyone notice the judges disagreeing about a decision? i thought it was great how they eliminated that guy after shitty butchering

20. sygyzy

sygyzy Senior member

The weakest Top Chef winners in my opinion were: Ilan, Harold, and Hosea.

Have any of the winners, other than Blais, Voltagio, and Izard done anything significant with their careers after the show? I know some of them have restaurants but since I hear pretty much nothing about them, i am guessing their joints are pretty mediocre?