1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Top Chef All Stars

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Manton, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

That said, all's fair in love, war, and reality TV competitions. If Blais didn't want anyone to copy his recipes, he shouldn't have shared them so freely.

2. raginberriodoom

raginberriodoom Senior member

Two wrong eliminations in a row...when's Tiffany getting out???

Richard is my favorite, and hopefully he's going to win it all!

3. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

what???

paula dean was praising her for keeping the heads on the shrimp. marcel's one suggestion was to take he heads off and use it in the liquid

they knocked her cuz it was too sweet (marcel didn't dilute the honey glaze like she normally would) and the shrimp was overcooked (cooked by marcel).

i want mike or tiffany to go home

I just watched the episode and......you're right. Unfortunately, when I was watching for the first time I was also on my laptop reading a very important website called styleforum.net and misheard.

4. Philip1978

Philip1978 Senior member

+1. i think the judges have been off their game this season.

Don't forget things are cut a certain way. So it may seem that they are getting wrong, when they are not.

5. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    i finally caught up on the dvr. i thought dale should have gone. making a bad dish is one thing (all 3 of them did that), but making a bad dish that has bad fundamentals is another. uncooked potatoes will send you home every time. and you could tell on the show, he was just in the weeds and lost it. everyone i've talked to about the show says you can't understand how much pressure in such a short period of time affects you.
    that's why i think blais and antonia have a good shot this year ... both seem to have really cool heads and put out consistently good (if not great) food.
    isabella certainly pulled off a dick move. the whole dish was predicated on a pun and a presentation (chicken "oyster" in an oyster shell) and both of those he stole. there wasn't much to the dish other than that. he can joke about it if it makes him feel better, but that's a real reality show move ... something most of the others have avoided.

6. DC101

DC101 Well-Known Member

glad to see dale gone can't wait for that ass "mikey" to be next. blaise probably the best chef left but i wouldn't rule out karla

7. sonick

sonick Senior member

Angelo and Dale were my two favourites at the beginning of the season. With them out, I am on the Blaise and Antonia wagon.

8. aizan

aizan Senior member

karla often cracks under pressure.

9. Philip1978

Philip1978 Senior member

10. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

As long as Professor Richard doesn't set his magical food lab on fire in a test tube explosion, he'll win. He's one of the two or three most creative people to ever be on the show. The other people left are mostly there because they've used good judgment about what was within their ability to execute. They're just not on his level.

11. SField

SField Senior member

As long as Professor Richard doesn't set his magical food lab on fire in a test tube explosion, he'll win. He's one of the two or three most creative people to ever be on the show. The other people left are mostly there because they've used good judgment about what was within their ability to execute. They're just not on his level.

His training and technique are on a very, very high level. I have not eaten or worked with all the contestants, but I know that maybe Hung is on a similar technical level, as were some of the people on the season with the Voltaggio brothers. He's certainly one of the best to have been on the show and is probably the one that should win.

However, if given full license, Carla might might do well too because she's demonstrated excellent flavor profiles and perfect execution. She's not as good at being creative on the fly but given the opportunity to cook her way she's extremely good at what she does.

12. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

I think Harold that won season 1 is up there with the best of them.

I'm curious if you think Marcel can see that he is not on the same level as Blais, or he's just not introspective enough?

13. StephenHero

I don't remember Harold all that well. It's been a long time, but I seem to picture him as the seasoned kitchen veteran. I don't really remember him blowing people away with creativity, but he seemed like a technically sound chef who was extremely well organized and knowledgeable about which flavors work and which don't. The talent on the first season was probably a bit lower than the later seasons from what I've read. I think Michael V. was probably the most talented and creative of all of them. But Richard's black ice cream was one of the few things on the show that made me go "Shit. This guy's good."

14. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

i think one of the things that is becoming clear this season, and which sfield alluded to in his post, is that there is a difference between being technically creative and cooking good food. this is not to suggest that technically creative chefs can't cook good food, but only that technical creativity is not a substitute for having a firm handle on flavor. in the end, what matters most is whether something tastes good (carla and antonia), not whether it took double back-flips to get there (blais, marcel, etc.).

15. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

i think one of the things that is becoming clear this season, and which sfield alluded to in his post, is that there is a difference between being technically creative and cooking good food. this is not to suggest that technically creative chefs can't cook good food, but only that technical creativity is not a substitute for having a firm handle on flavor. in the end, what matters most is whether something tastes good (carla and antonia), not whether it took double back-flips to get there (blais, marcel, etc.).
    True - but if the food is essentially good first, the back flips can enable you to differentiate yourself by making good food that nobody else there could make. I liken it to my comparison of Moto vs. Alinea. Kantu is playing with chemicals and some food comes out. Achatz is making something that tastes good, and then playing with it to make sure you know you are eating something you probably couldn't get somewhere else.

16. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

True - but if the food is essentially good first, the back flips can enable you to differentiate yourself by making good food that nobody else there could make.

I liken it to my comparison of Moto vs. Alinea. Kantu is playing with chemicals and some food comes out. Achatz is making something that tastes good, and then playing with it to make sure you know you are eating something you probably couldn't get somewhere else.

undoubtedly, and an apt comparison.

17. esquire.

esquire. Senior member

didn't realize it until reading grant achatz' book, but blais was an early comer in the french laundry kitchen.

Never saw it before cause Blaise is a lot more into molecular gastronomy than Keller, but now that I think about it, I can see Keller's influence with all those puns and witticisms in Blaise's dish. There's a perfectionism but also a playfulness in Keller's dishes that always seemed a bit incongruous with his deadly serious nature that he seemed to project in his interviews.

As long as Professor Richard doesn't set his magical food lab on fire in a test tube explosion, he'll win.

Even though Blaise relies a bit too much on the same liquid nitrogen tricks, I think Blaise is more than that. If you took away those gadgets and gimmicks, Blaise can still bang out a winning dish as we saw with that Target challenge whereas I don't think the same could be said for Marcel.

18. StephenHero

Marcel should be the chef de cuisine for the International Space Station. They're probably the only people eager to eat meals of veal foam out of a spray cannister.

19. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

Never saw it before cause Blaise is a lot more into molecular gastronomy than Keller, but now that I think about it, I can see Keller's influence with all those puns and witticisms in Blaise's dish. There's a perfectionism but also a playfulness in Keller's dishes that always seemed a bit incongruous with his deadly serious nature that he seemed to project in his interviews.

thomas has always had a very dry sense of humor, but it has emerged more in the last 3-4 years, i think. he is one case of success actually improving a person.

20. Philip1978

Philip1978 Senior member

Marcel should be the chef de cuisine for the International Space Station. They're probably the only people eager to eat meals of veal foam out of a spray cannister.

[​IMG]