• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Sherlock

Reaction score
I know you're supposed to leave the top button unbuttoned on a shirt unless you're wearing a tie, and I've always followed this rule EXCEPT on polo/golf shirts. I often wear these types of shirts to work (office environment) and I think that with the top button unbuttoned they look too casual for an office environment but with the top button buttoned they look just right.

Example: http://imagecache.asos.com/inv/V/77/...k/image1xl.jpg

Anyways recently someone told me that I was committing a fashion faux-pas by buttoning up the top button on my polo shirt, and that a polo shirt has to follow the same rule as any other shirt, ie if there's no tie then the top button is left open. What do you guys think?

Ianiceman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get properly sized lacoste shirts. You can unbutton the top button and the placket will stay almost closed without looking sloppy or revealing throat hair, undershirt or any other monstrosities.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's either really nerdy or really hip.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
It's either really nerdy or really hip.

Geek or Chic, and if you think you're one, then you're definitely the other.

rdaws

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sherlock
I know you're supposed to leave the top button unbuttoned on a shirt unless you're wearing a tie, and I've always followed this rule EXCEPT on polo/golf shirts. I often wear these types of shirts to work (office environment) and I think that with the top button unbuttoned they look too casual for an office environment but with the top button buttoned they look just right.

Example: http://imagecache.asos.com/inv/V/77/...k/image1xl.jpg

Anyways recently someone told me that I was committing a fashion faux-pas by buttoning up the top button on my polo shirt, and that a polo shirt has to follow the same rule as any other shirt, ie if there's no tie then the top button is left open. What do you guys think?

A polo shirt with the top button buttoned looks ridiculous. Unless you're going for the "Forrest Gump" look.

If you think it's too informal for an office environment - and I agree, it is - then don't wear one to the office. Buttoning it all the way up doesn't fix that problem, just makes one look like a casual dork.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People will think you are a " 'tard " if you button up all the buttons. Unless you are a grade A hipster incorporating other dreadful faux, ironic gimmicks into your look, then don't do it.

Read this: http://www.slate.com/id/2237378/

Sherlock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
Get properly sized lacoste shirts. You can unbutton the top button and the placket will stay almost closed without looking sloppy or revealing throat hair, undershirt or any other monstrosities.
What is a lacoste shirt, is that a high-end brand of polo shirts?

mlongano

Reaction score
Tiger Woods and other professional golfers wear their polo shirts with the top button buttoned.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitly going into hipster dork country.

mlongano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
And you are citing *them* as the pinnacle of style?

Not really, many professional golfers are horrible dressers...but after watching so much golf with buttoned up top buttons, I guess I've gotten used to it.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.