Top 3 Go To Brands/Items currently in your wardrobe

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rye GB, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Rye GB

Rye GB Angry Englishman

I was shopping around town yesterday in LA (American Rag, South Willard, Opening Ceremony, Urban etc) and with the current economic worries and the fact I'm striving to be more sensible with my purchases I didn't buy anything. Simple fact is my clothing purchases now lean more towards longevity of the item versus buying into a transient fad. I was interested to hear what items people currently have in their wardrobe that they wear heavily and replace more often than other items or brands. My three are: AA V-Necks. Size small is long enough in the body that I don't need to size up and get the medium with a wider shoulder and longer armhole, a better fit than the more expensive James Perse tee's I've bought in the past. Plus I get the wholesaler discount which is a winner!. Colors Black, Charcoal and White. Acne. Max Cash. Perfect fit for me. Not as skinny as Cheap Monday and a little more dynamic than my APC Cure/New Standards. I like the character of the denim and how it's faded over time. In the 2 years I've owned these jeans nothing's come close to replacing it as my go to jean. Converse. Yes uninspired, I know. White chucks just go with "everything. Sure there are better options "Common Projects for one, but I don't feel the need to spend $250+ on a white sneaker right now. Keds are too narrow in the toe, Spring Courts to round and clunky, perhaps Superga might be my next choice at $88. There were recent rumblings concerning Hali's dirty homeless man sneaks, for me the more beat down, the more character attained in the shoe that can't be replicated. AA/ACNE/CONVERSE

2. constant struggle

constant struggle Senior member

AA Tees: Have them in many different colors, real good fit on me in the medium, cheap, disposable...
    APC New Cures: This is my go to jean since i've got it, any time i get another pair, they hardly get worn in comparison... have these in indigo and grey...
    Vans Authentics: have two pairs of these, can't go wrong, constantly wearing them... once it hits colder temps though, these are replaced for something that isn't canvas...

So there you have it
    AA/APC/VANS

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Mine are going to be pretty uninspired as well, I'm afraid.

1) Wings+Horns thermal henleys. For the price (around $120), they really can't be beat. Although not inexpensive, they are probably the most durable pieces I have. The overlock stitch means that they are very sturdy at the seams (where shirts tend to fall apart) and the Wings+Horns materials are sturdy as workwear, but more comfortable) And they keep their shape remarkably well. The designs change somewhat from season to season, but they are nearly always at least decent.

2) 5EP jeans. I have an extra pair of the 5EpxSF stashed away from myself, and I have a pair of 5EPxSF and a pair of the LDB in my rotation, taking up the lion's share of time. The denim is more complex, and thus versatile, than that of any other jeans I own (they don't look great with reds, but everything else goes)

3) Chucks. I varying patterns and materials. Cheap, look good with pretty much anything. And the more banged up they get, the better, until they disintegrate.

4. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

Agnes B: One of these days you idiots will come around. Best-fitting apparel for the money. Details are APC-level but I feel like they take more chances with their patterns. RRL: I like well-made western-inspired workwear pieces. MJK: Let's face it: I'm a whore. However, I actually really like and genuinely wear the pieces. Sure, the fellas were laughing at me about the undies back in March. Who is laughing now.

5. itskub

itskub Senior member

I have like 15 basic pieces from Patrizia Pepe that can be found in Daffy's. $20-30 for a tshirt may seem pricey, but its as if all the pieces are made for my lanky body type 6'3", 39" chest, so I end up 'stocking up' when I come across this brand. Not to mention I overheard one of the employees saying PP pieces retail for like 100-200+ euros for the shirts or jeans.

6. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

Pants/Top/Shoes? Currently,
    1. Acne Mic Raw. I have two pairs. They fit exactly the way I want them to and I have yet to see a raw colour I like more for all purposes. Considering I spent under 300 for both pairs, they've been excellent value. I do wear my other raw jeans pretty frequently as well, but not as often as these.

2. W+H Shawl Collar Tiger Fleece in brown. When it's cold and crappy out, it's go-to simply because it looks good, is incredibly comfortable, is extremely well made and works well with almost all of my jeans. I don't wear it THAT much, I suppose, but I do wear it more than any other shirt or sweater I own.

3. Crockett & Jones Brecon boots in dark brown country calf, storm welted. Bought from the B&S a little while ago, I wear these things everywhere, regardless of weather (storm welt ftw). They're probably my most comfortable shoes, and they look good with everything.

However, I suppose if I were to go with brands rather than one shoe, I'd have to say AE, just out of sheer volume, I own quite a few pairs. Of them, my cordovan McAllisters get the most wear.

7. GY!BE

GY!BE Senior member

AA
    Nudies
    vans?
    I'm constantly experimenting with new shose though actually ive been wearing some cheapy topman plimsolls that i thought would be shredded up by now but they are holding in there

8. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

APC faded black grey cures/april 77 khakis- I rarely wear anything but these 2 nowadays. As for the cures, they're a bit baggy in the waist/thigh but they're super soft and go well with more vibrant colors as well as black/white. The khakis are a nice slim/skinny fit without looking overly tight and they're still comfortable and easy to move in. Work well with a lot of tops that i have.

I don't really have any go to tops or shoes. Just to say that i much prefer UO housebrand BDG black cotton tshirts to AA. The fit is a bit more drapey-slim than AA's tight-slim on me. They feel slightly softer to me too and the 2 vnecks i have have the perfect neckline for me as far as depth and width.

I have 3-4 go to tops and probably 2-3 go to shoes that i don't really distinguish between them in wear. I don't own any chucks/vans actually but was thinking of picking up a pair of white allstars or authentics as opposed to spring courts one of these days to beat up.

rye- quit making me covet max cashes [​IMG]

9. JOA

JOA Senior member

Interesting topic. My answers are influenced by the fact that I dress in the Trad/Preppy/Ivy style, but I prefer modern cuts. So...

1. Brooks Brothers Black Fleece Oxfords...Great cut/fabric. Readily available. Not too expensive (particularly during 25% off sales). Built to last.

2. APC New Standard...Okay, they're my only "good" denim, but like the Oxfords mentioned above they are made from good fabric, easy to get, and have the right cut/"look" for me.

3. Sperry A/O Topsiders in Original Brown...My go-to shoes from March through September. Mine look even better after two straight summers of sand and saltwater stains. So comfortable.

10. apocalypse later

apocalypse later Senior member

For those who love AA so much: Do your tees have a lot of extra fabric in the back? I'm 6'2, 165 lbs, and a medium tee fits like a tent on me. It's slim from the front, but from the side and the back it looks ridiculous with no taper. And yes, it's a regular 3001 tee. I know some have recommended the Summer shirt, but with so many raving about AA I figured their standard tee would fit well with a fairly normal (RRDS/APCNS/Skull 5507) jeans.

11. blank

blank Senior member

It's summer. It's hot.

1. Quoddy Trail boat shoes
    2. Save Khaki slim-fit pants
    3. RRL and Somet denim
    4. RL Custom Fit polos
    5. Save Khaki button-ups and tees

12. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

1. Fred Perry italian knit polos and buttondowns. The buttondowns are far superior to Ben Sherman, in fabric and cut. The Italian knit polos are 1000x better than regular polos, in more unique prints, colors, patterns. Also they're hard to find so it's got that snob appeal.

2. Nudie Thin Finn grey coated....easily my fave jeans. Much better than regular Finns in that the fabric has a stiffness to it I like and doesnt cling against my knees down to calf as much. The wax coating gave the fabric just the right amount of firmness. I like these so much I'm sure I'll get the black coated at some point soon

3. Paul Smith shoes/boots. Got it all, comfort and style.

+1 on agnes b. An ex of mine turned me on to them back in 1994 and I havent looked back. I usually buy something every season and those pieces end up being solid staples I wear a lot. One of the few brands where I've actually worn thru the item from so much usage.

13. GY!BE

GY!BE Senior member

apocalypse: is the "tenty" look when you tried the shirts on, or do you own the shirt

14. atuhsad

atuhsad Senior member

My current go tos are as follows:

Nom de guerre Suvin Jeans - great fit and wash. I am a 32 waist, but have larger thighs from soccer / running / squats, so it is sometimes difficult for me to find a slim jean which isn't too tight (a lot of issues i have with some people is that some people wear "tight" as opposed to "slim" and i don't think that tight is flattering on too many people, if any at all). Also, the wash is really cool and very streaky. They are on sale at Barney's and at the NDG store for about what you would pay for a pair of APC's

BoO shirts - never really purchased them in the past, but with the stimulus check and them hitting the sales rack (Barney's, the News Sample Sale), i just grabbed a bunch for work and casual wear. I am really sold on the fit. sounds cliche, but they really fit beautifully and will most definately invest in more shirts in the future.

Converse - you can't go wrong and get better by the day. best of all, of course, they are very inexpensive

15. Tooch4321

Tooch4321 Senior member

1. Solid color Continental Bamboo Tees
    2. APC NS
    3. White Canvas or Leather JPs (I just can't bring myself to drop $250 on CPs)