• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top 10 tailors in america

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And nothing can duplicate the perfect roll of a handsewn lapel.

I'll give you that. Full disclosure - I also like Kiton, Attolini et al - shirts *and* suits. I actually have a couple. I *do* think, however, that we are a little too apt to take the word of a tailor, who after all, is also a salesman, at face value.

And thank you for the compliments.

mr. magoo

Reaction score
What you are buying from a high-end tailor who charges you $3000 for a suit is bragging rights - "Where did you get that suit?"  "I had it custom made by a master tailor."  
Really. I tend to wear relatively high end stuff and that's what I often buy. Maybe it's just the circles in which I run, but I have to say I almost never get particular attention for it -- people simply don't ask me where I got a jacket or sweater or pair of trousers.

And truthfully, I don't buy for them to ask. I buy it because I like it; I find the craftsmanship and detail to be pleasurable. Frankly, the most compliments I get are for "flashy" items -- big boots, brightly striped shirts, etc. The truly good stuff, the stuff that I love, passes by unremarked upon and perhaps unnoticed.

marc39

Reaction score
Cherrytree---Is that incompetent "master tailor" (HA.) at Sal's shop, off Lexington Avenue in NYC, still making Jon Green's suits? Sal, who should really be a butcher given how he "butchers" a garment, made the most horribly fitting suits I ever had the misfortune of owning, that is until I threw them out. And, I had the misfortune of paying $2,500 each for those abortions. The worst tailor in the world without peer. In fact, Green was in Sal's shop a few times when I was there. Yea, right, Jon Green's suits must be real masterpieces if they're being made by Sal the butcher.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
no one has mentioned Nino Corvato On madison Ave.

I have known Nino for over 20 years. Back when he was Tony and was running the cutting room for Catania Clothing on lower Fifth ave. He is an excellent pattern maker and cutter. I no longer can afford his clothing. He runs a very tight ship. literally he has many tailors hard at work in his Tailor shop.

This goes back to the same argument. Nino does not sit at a bench sewing by himself. He directs others to do the work.

There was a tailor by the name of John Reyle in New York. He passed away at least 10-12 years ago. He could not sew. He did the measureing, styling, patternmaking, cutting and fitting. His tailors made a coat and a half a week each. The work was excellent. Of course John was a character. He had an amazing clientele list.

M father loves good clothes. I wish that I fit into his John lobb shoes and his Lanvin shirts. I truely wish that I could alter the suits he had made by Smalto and Feruch. My father is a Francophile. This board seems to have forgotten that country.

The workmanship in those suits is the finest I have ever seen.
Handwork that is just amazing. The fit is spectacular.

marc39

Reaction score
Nino Corvato is, indeed, one of the really good guys in the tailoring industry. Coincidentally, I was wearing one of Sal's suits (L & S Tailoring) when I had visited Nino a couple years ago, and Nino was amazed at just how ill-fitting Sal's suit was (This is the same Sal whose shop makes suits for Jon Green) Nino is the real deal and even teaches tailoring at I believe the Fashion Institute of Technology. I ended up not having suits made by Nino because the tailor I ended up with has a house style more to my preference. But, I'll never forget Nino, knowing how skittish I was having been burned by Sal, offering to make the first suit with no deposit, and if I didn't like the way things turned out, he would not charge me for the garment. Nino's a real gentleman, a real tailor, and has integrity.

marc39

Reaction score
For instance, the claim that a Raphael apprentice tailor makes suits for Jon Green clients is entirely false. The apprentice is a young Peruvian named Marcello who does excellent alterations work, but who has never made a suit, nor any component of a suit, for Jon Green. The young apprentice aspires to be a tailor, and Jon is currently helping Marcello by guiding him through the making of one blazer for Jon's personal use, a process that has taken a year and is still not complete. There are three master tailors who make Jon Green suits, and no one else.

Cherrytree, interesting you know such details of the work Marcello was doing for Jon Green. You obviously know Jon Green well and so you have an agenda to boast about him, or perhaps you're Jon Green himself--Hmmmmm. As for the three "master tailors" who you say do work for you, I mean for Jon Green, is Sal at L & S Tailors one of the so-called master tailors?

stebab

Reaction score
from Manuel Martinez. I've used many other "tailors" in the past, and Manuel is a gem. Classic British styling and timeless lines are his trademark.

Richieg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stebab
from Manuel Martinez. I've used many other "tailors" in the past, and Manuel is a gem. Classic British styling and timeless lines are his trademark.
What is his price range? Are his suits full bespoke, MTM, etc? Thanks

bearman229

Reaction score
Nino Corvato is a Mastor mans tailor. Unlike the "Tom Brown's" of trendy today, he respects the masculine suit. He doesn't hike up pants an akward 6 inches or make suit jackets uncomfortable snug. A man should should move his suit, not the other way around (hence, a straight jacket.) I worked for one of (top 3) richest men in NYC and he had ALL of his suits either made or tailed by Nino. He would have custom Prada suits re-tailored by him, much to the chargen of Prada, same for Borrelli. Nino knows how to compliment a mans body. Unlike women,where, the more adoration, the bette - Nino keeps it classic and Manly. If you can afford him and can get an appoitment - Invest in at least one basic suit by him ( get your measurements on file.) His Assistant John ( given, with his talent, that he hasn't branched out on his own at this point) is seriously close to Nino's calibur (although half his age) and will be an un-approachable Icon within the next 20 years.He will inevitably inherit Nino's client list and I predict will be 10 times more talented than his mentor. Get on his client list now.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Nino Corvato is a Mastor mans tailor. Unlike the "Tom Brown's" of trendy today, he respects the masculine suit. He doesn't hike up pants an akward 6 inches or make suit jackets uncomfortable snug. A man should should move his suit, not the other way around (hence, a straight jacket.) I worked for one of (top 3) richest men in NYC and he had ALL of his suits either made or tailed by Nino. He would have custom Prada suits re-tailored by him, much to the chargen of Prada, same for Borrelli. Nino knows how to compliment a mans body. Unlike women,where, the more adoration, the bette - Nino keeps it classic and Manly. If you can afford him and can get an appoitment - Invest in at least one basic suit by him ( get your measurements on file.) His Assistant John ( given, with his talent, that he hasn't branched out on his own at this point) is seriously close to Nino's calibur (although half his age) and will be an un-approachable Icon within the next 20 years.He will inevitably inherit Nino's client list and I predict will be 10 times more talented than his mentor. Get on his client list now.

Awesome necrobump on a 6 year old+ thread

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hello Asst. John! Nice to have you here.

Jackie Treehorn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Have we checked Asst. John's midi-chlorian count yet? It seems hasty to make such sweeping pronouncements about his future mastery, esp. that it will exceed his mentor's, without running a simple blood test.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads