• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toothpaste Vs. Tie?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I searched and was surprised that this question has never come up. How does one get toothpaste off of one's tie when one has gotten his lovely new Paul Stuart wool/silk blend tie splattered
baldy[1].gif
? I tried lightly using water in the past but it left a bad water mark. Brushing has gotten some of it. Any other options?

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because of this, I always take my tie off when getting anywhere near a tube of toothpaste. I'm curious though as to if it is possible. Maybe send it off to tiecrafters, but you are in Japan.
frown.gif

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What the hell were you thinking when you brushed your teeth with your tie on? I wash my teeth before I put ANY clothes on. I too have been the victim of toothpaste.
musicboohoo[1].gif

Try a dry cleaner, but take a tie you don't like much, and see how good of a job they do.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tiecrafters is probably the best solution. From what I hear, they are simply the best at removing necktie stains.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If you care about it, send it to Tiecrafters.

If you want to try yourself, I've removed some stuff from ties with a wet washcloth.

Another option that some people have said works is to soak the entire tie (obviously, clean it while wet), and then let it dry out. It may change the color a bit, but it will supposedly be an even change. Never tried it, but it's worth a shot as a last resort.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Tiecrafters is probably the best solution. From what I hear, they are simply the best at removing necktie stains.

Today's case was not so bad but I did the same thing to a lovely Drake's 50oz a few months back
musicboohoo[1].gif

The magic question is...what do Tiecrafter's do to remove stains?

And yes...I realize I do need to change my morning habit. As it is I shower, get my suit on, breakfast, then brush teeth, then a mad dash to catch my train; all the while with a 4-year-old talking my ear off (in two languages).

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Tiecrafters does, I would guess, what any cleaner could do to a piece of silk to get something off it. I've never had toothpaste permanently stain anything, so the chances are probably good.

The difference is that they take the tie apart and clean only the silk, then put it back together, so it doesn't ruin the tie.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j

The difference is that they take the tie apart and clean only the silk, then put it back together, so it doesn't ruin the tie.

Makes sense. You are truly wiser than your years, J.

Now, if you could just figure out how to get a 6-pack, hire a decent customer service rep or buy cheap Vass shoes then you would be a true genius.

Roy Biggins

Reaction score
I would try spot washing, or soaking the entire tie in Woolite.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roy Biggins
Agree on the soak. But your tie may be history, in any case.

Earthmover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roy Biggins

I wouldn't soak it in woolite. Why not just try water first? That's how most toothpaste stains come off.

What I would do is soak in lukewarm water, leave there for about 1 to 5 minutes, brush the stain with a used soft-toothbrush (yes, it's amusing, but it's the most readilly available nonabrasive brush for silk), then see if it goes away for good. Of course, drip dry, then either take it to a drycleaner or steam (and steam only) the hell out of it to get the wrinkles out.

If you are crunched for time, most drycleaners can handle the toothpaste stain with just their steam gun, and instruct them to not press it, but steam only.

Oh, and I really really hope you don't use whitening toothpaste, because... well, I think you know.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads