• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tools of the Trade...Today's NY Post

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
If I'm a young single guy in NY, with all the options available, and someone invites me to this place, I introduce them to the business end of a louisville slugger.

Not everyone goes out every night to try and get laid.

persid

Reaction score
Guy is a douche. Patrick Bateman would eat his spleen.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Has nothing to do with getting laid, but if I want to talk to a person (who GASP MIGHT BE A WOMAN), I should be able to, no? What a silly 'rule'.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC

Of course not. But I'm mature and intelligent enough that if I am out not looking to get laid, I don't need a rule to tell me not to speak to the ladies. My self esteem is also such that I don't need to go to a place where I need to be "in the know" in order to get in. Anyway, to each his own. I'm more of a Blarney Stone guy myself so I wouldn't fit in.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yeayea
"While I was mid-boogie, the bar owner Sasha came over and pulled me aside. “Gentleman will not introduce themselves to ladies!” he scolded. “Gentleman will not introduce themselves to ladies!! It’s the rules!!” he repeated, excitedly."

Gee, sounds like a great time!

Sasha's a childhood friend of mine. Milk & Honey is a great bar in its own way. it's not for everyone. But that's how Sasha wants it. As he has put it to me, it a place for people who share his idea of how to drink. If you don't (share it), you're of course free to patronize other establishments. If it were the only bar in town, the rules would be pretty harsh. I wouldn't want it to be the only bar I frequented, but it's still nice for a certain kind of evening.

Anyway, I'll let you all get back to it, but I'd appreciate the favor of a little decorum wrt my friend.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Typical banker tastes - pedestrian, chock full of talking-point knowledge, and mind-numbingly unimaginative. The guy could not have dropped more obvious and crass names in five minutes.

Outed as an enemy of conservative business dress. Tread carefully, my friend.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Of course not. But I'm mature and intelligent enough that if I am out not looking to get laid, I don't need a rule to tell me not to speak to the ladies. My self esteem is also such that I don't need to go to a place where I need to be "in the know" in order to get in. Anyway, to each his own. I'm more of a Blarney Stone guy myself so I wouldn't fit in.

Not that I'm saying this rule is a good idea or anything, but it's possible that the rule was created more for the benefit of the ladies at the place than for the men. I mean, I know that a lot of women get sick of a bunch of creeps coming up to them and talking to them when they're just out trying to get a drink with their friends. It's possible that this place was created to fill a niche where women can go and not have to worry about random guys coming up to them and bothering them. In fact, I know a lot of women who complain that guys won't even leave them alone at a bar after they've told the guy 'no' several times.

You may not know it man, but you might be that creep.
alien.gif

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Odoreater has it right (not about ed being that creep...). Sasha wanted a bar that was a.) not a pick-up joint; b.) not a velvet-rope scene for beautiful people, but a discreet place for people wanted to have a civilized drink in a style from another era. He wears suspenders and pants with fish-mouth rear waist and generally seems to wish he was in another era himself. That said, if you think his rules are dumb, he and you will both be happier if you patronize another establishment. I don't see the point in arguing over it.

I do think, however, that with all the pining about declining standards of dress and behavior around here, there are plenty of people who might find they liked it at Milk & Honey.

StockwellDay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade

I do think, however, that with all the pining about declining standards of dress and behavior around here, there are plenty of people who might find they liked it at Milk & Honey.

...if only they could get the super secret number.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Seems to have expensive tastes on what looks like a pretty modest salary and bonus. Wonder how he does it.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StockwellDay

peepwall[1].gif

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Seems to have expensive tastes on what looks like a pretty modest salary and bonus. Wonder how he does it.

Are you serious? You think that $190,000 for a 24 year old is a "modest salary and bonus"? That's like 6 times the national average for an entire household. What world do you live in where $190k is modest for a 24 year old single guy?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StockwellDay

worship.gif

I'm sure Sasha is a wonderful guy but there are many, many places in the city that are not pick up joints and with the secret number business he is really no different, and you can make a case that it's worse, than the velvet rope places. Anyway, different strokes.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TIMES magazine has a 2 page article about Tom Fords store Thom Browne's BB designs, Zegna MTM etc. The whole article is about high end custom clothing for men and talks about Brioni/Kiton etc. and how men at top end of the clothing market are tired of Mass Luxury and Mass Exclusivity of many brands.

That is third article of such kind that i have read in a month.
Gentlemen! I think you have been outed. I predict a steady mass popularization of custom/tailored clothing and its inevitable demise by the hand of investment-brokers-type.

Do not panic!
All your bespoke shoes will double in value in coming years. Cash on them before the market melt down.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads