1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

tool box quality

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Milpool, Mar 28, 2011.

1. cretaceous_cretin

cretaceous_cretin Senior member

Kennedy is really nice. That's what I use at work. Mine is going on 28 years old now and is still holding up well. The new ones the company buys look just like mine and the quality hasn't changed much in almost 30 years.

This one is almost identical to mine.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CDsQ8wIwAg#

http://www.kennedymfg.com/Kennedy/Products/

+1. Just about every hardware lab I have ever worked in had a Kennedy tool box in it.

2. Milpool

Milpool Senior member

A square and lots of shopping around led me to a decent metal mechanics chest for now. LOTS of shopping around.

I've determined that the display models in most every store are the chests that must have been half on the pallet or fell off the loading dock or got hit with a forklift (maybe all three).

3. dusty

dusty Senior member

I'm not that fond of Kennedy but Lista is great.

4. Ataylor

Ataylor Member

I simply cannot justify the cost of a snap-on tool box, although most of my tools are snap-on and I can feel the difference in quality, I don't notice a substantial lack of quality with my master craft box. I hold my tools in my hands and use them, the box just sits there aside from my occasionally taking a couple tools out or putting a couple back in. It may not stand the test of time, but that's something only time will tell. If I need to replace it eventually I'll likely replace it with a wooden one I make myself, thanks for the idea op.

5. 951socal

951socal Senior member

Used to have snap-on back when i was a tech (actually the few years when i was going to community college) those boxes are not worth nearly as much as they cost.

home depot sells these "husky" boxes for about $600 i've had that for almost 7 years now and it still looks new.

Tool boxes are bad if you're not working on stuff everyday and if you're like me

every draw is filled with sockets, impact sockets and screw drivers. and everything has that dumbass red and black handle snap-on has so i don't know whats what in hiuge piles

6. Rockwell

Rockwell Well-Known Member

I have been having troubles finding a good portable tool bag/ carrying box. I have tried bags, smaller boxes and stuff but they all seem to break or rip. I have resorted to putting a bunch of tools in the tool belt and then carrying a smaller bag with all the other odds and ends. Seems to work better than carrying a tool box/case.

7. otc

otc Senior member

Bumping this thread back to life.

I have a similar problem. I don't have a ton of tools by serious standards, but I have far more than any of my friends and I don't have any good way to store them. A bunch of general tools, plus special tools for bicycles and my motorcycle, and some couple small woodworking tools. Right now most of it lives in a tool bag which means lots of digging for crap. Sockets are in the case they came in, and everything else (hacksaw, saw, power drill, etc) just lives in a closet).

I live in a 1BR apartment so I don't have a shop or a workbench--I've got a bench vice bolted to a block of wood that I can clamp down in the kitchen, Bicycle work is done on a work stand, and I have to go out onto the street to work on the motorcycle.

Any suggestions? A small tool chest might be nice. A plastic toolbox might be an improvement over the tool bag if it had some good organization...but otherwise maybe not. Some mobility might be important, the bag is nice because I can just lug everything outside to my motorcycle, but usually I know in advance which tools I will actually need.