• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Took this bag to a bar, coworkers dissed it

whistler

Reaction score
I went out to a bar recently with some coworkers, wearing the outfit below, including the bag. My coworkers (male and female) were unanimous in claiming that the bag was "too feminine" and should be disposed of. I tried to defend it, claiming that it was a work bag that had just transitioned into the bar. What do you think? Are my coworkers fashion neanderthals, or do they have a good point?
SF1-1.jpg
SF5-2.jpg

Aperipan

Reaction score
your buddies photograph for the sartorialist?
smile.gif

I think you look very presentable, although I'd add some extra fabric to the suit around the waist, shorten the pants a big, and go for a tanner look on the leather accessories. Maybe they are all drunk?
lol8[1].gif

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, really, do you? You can wear any bag you want, as long as you know how to rock it.

lpresq

Reaction score
I actually like the bag; however, why did you take it to the bar? Surely, you didn't need your files to grab a drink. You're likely being perceived as "trying too hard," and your friends are giving you crap for it.

rob

Reaction score
Did your co-workers say anything about the puddle pants?

rob

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's fine, but probably would just not take it to the bar.

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its fine - especially when walking to your office. For a evening with friends at the bar, I can't comprehend why you'd need it, but I'm sure you had your reasons.

Its not feminine. I suspect they're reacting to the loop handles, which the uneducated interpret as purse straps.

BTW - don't bother to explain yourself to clod's who feel entitled to ridicule you for your fashion choices.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup, it's the handles -- thus, from the side anyway, in a dark bar, it could be mistaken for a classic ladies leather handbag.

Kempt

Reaction score
Not my cup of tea, and yes, in the realm of man bags that puts out a somewhat effeminate vibe, although I've seen far worse.

Reckoner

Reaction score
manbags are gay
i never wear manbags, and whenever i do have a bag, it's a gym bag with all my weight training grear and stuff.
there is a fine line between being well dressed, and being a "man" with all its masculinity vs. being gay.

Franky In T.O.

Reaction score
You're sharply dressed and this bag just doesn't go with your outfit. Personally, the only bags I like are over the shoulder messenger bags (wear the strap across your chest, not dangling off your shoulder) that have a simple, but styling and sturdy look.

Keen eyes have already noted the straps... it looks like you're carrying a purse, not a bag. However, I've seen far worse. You're not crazy for purchasing it, but it needs an upgrade.

dk123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reckoner
manbags are gay
i never wear manbags, and whenever i do have a bag, it's a gym bag with all my weight training grear and stuff.
there is a fine line between being well dressed, and being a "man" with all its masculinity vs. being gay.

wtf?
laugh.gif
plain.gif

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always thought blowing guys made you guy, but now that Ive learned this...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads