• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Took the plunge with RLBL. Critque?

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RLBL is meant to accentuate one's natural V shape or give the illusion of such on a skinny guy. I think what the OP really needs is to have the torso taken in so there is less bunching around the chest and ribs. The distended shoulders look much better if the rest of the suit is very trim and follows the natural silhouette of the body. It is also a much easier alteration.

LennonMcCartney

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TimelesStyle
RLBL is meant to accentuate one's natural V shape or give the illusion of such on a skinny guy. I think what the OP really needs is to have the torso taken in so there is less bunching around the chest and ribs. The distended shoulders look much better if the rest of the suit is very trim and follows the natural silhouette of the body. It is also a much easier alteration.
I think the jacket bunched b/c I had my arm around someone as I took the photograph. Loathing - 36R is really tight on me as well. I'll try it again though to see. robinsongreen68 - definitely going to hit the gym more. Blackhood - word. I'm in medical school in a different state, and so now I am a displaced Chicagoan. Next time I return I'll swing by a few stores (Brooks, RL, etc) and take some fit photos, and gleen some more advice from all of you.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wouldn't try to make BL conform to traditional fit guidelines, or try to make your body conform to it. Though BL is an SF darling for being a slim, quality suit that's regularly available on the cheap, it is first and foremost a fashion look. The shoulders are deliberately cut wide and the chest is cut tight. The more athletic you are, the better the shoulders may fit but the more the chest is likely to pull. It's meant to be a distinct cut, and, while I don't personally care for that look, I can't see the point of buying it just to try to strip the distinctiveness out of it.

There may be a few dudes for whom BL offers an ideal traditional fit, but it's not really aiming for that. If you like what BL offers, buy it. If you don't, I'd suggest looking elsewhere.

LennonMcCartney

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I Though BL is an SF darling for being a slim, quality suit that's regularly available on the cheap, it is first and foremost a fashion look.

You know I went for BL b/c it is a styleforum darling. I was happy with it before I posted, and I still like the suit, but it's good to know what can be improved. I guess it's all part of finding one's personal style and what looks best.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
Jesus, that man is a stick figure. Is that picture out of aspect ratio?
Photoshopped.
Originally Posted by acridsheep
I think OP's first suit looks better, though not perfect.
+1. A year ago, this "X" buttoning point creasing would have been flagellated on SF. Also, the jacket is "long as ****"
SFRLBL2.jpg

ArsenalDan

Reaction score
Are we saying that RLBL is NOT meant for those with a large drop?

I am basically a 39R [38 in large-running cuts, 40 in smaller-running], and my waist is 31.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NAMOR
looks good but get the watch strap adjusted
colgate.gif

that was the only thing i could look at

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ArsenalDan
Are we saying that RLBL is NOT meant for those with a large drop? I am basically a 39R [38 in large-running cuts, 40 in smaller-running], and my waist is 31.
Not that so much as it's not meant to look like a conservative, properly fitting suit by traditional standards. The big shoulders and small chest are meant to define the look. Same as I would not try to turn a Hickey Freeman into a skinny, trendy suit, I would not try to make BL look like what it's not.

LennonMcCartney

Reaction score
I have a very large drop. 38 shoulder, 28 waist. Does Ralph Lauren make anything that is a conservative, properly fitting suit? Made in Italy Polo is too baggy, Purple Label is cost prohibitive, and well, you've seen the results with Black label. There are no variations in black label?

It's interesting how the jacket is either "long as f___" or "too short".Different people have different opinions. I will measure myself and the jacket and see how they match up. The top button comes to my navel, which according to Flusser, it should, so I guess the button stance is correct?

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LennonMcCartney
I have a very large drop. 38 shoulder, 28 waist. Does Ralph Lauren make anything that is a conservative, properly fitting suit? Made in Italy Polo is too baggy, Purple Label is cost prohibitive, and well, you've seen the results with Black label. There are no variations in black label?

It's interesting how the jacket is either "long as f___" or "too short".Different people have different opinions. I will measure myself and the jacket and see how they match up. The top button comes to my navel, which according to Flusser, it should, so I guess the button stance is correct?

I know that Dior does a Drop 10, but you're going to face the same cost and styling problems. You might be a great candidate for MTM, if you can stomach the price.

vida

Reaction score
Shorten the sleeves so that you are showing about a 1/2 inch of cuff (the Zegna Milano pic is an example of perfect sleeves). Also, shorten the pants a bit or adjust them so that they will sit squarely on your waist. Stand up straight.
The Black Label suits are ment to be razor sharp while accentuating the natural V of your torso. Don't try to change it or you will mess up the look.
Personally I like the stronger shoulder as I think it is more elegant.

LennonMcCartney

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. The aesthetic I am looking for is something with a somewhat structured shoulder, low button stance and some waist suppression. I suppose RLBL went too far with the structured shoulder. In your opinion working stiff, what would be the correct aesthetic for my build? I was thinking something like this: Or an asthetic like these Thom Sweeney suits but a lower button stance, and less waist suppression.
tumblr_ljugbem8wT1qdjb4uo1_500.jpg
usctrojans31 is that MTM from RL? Vida, I asked them to shorten the sleeves at the store. They did, but they said the dress shirts I had were too short and that was why no cuff showed. I will square the pants.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads