• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Took the plunge with RLBL. Critque?

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by comrade
Suit is a great improvement over previous. Find a good, no, great tailor, to reduce the
shoulders. You're in Chicago. I left there 20+years ago. .I had a superb tailor for alterations.
I am afraid he's no longer around. Go to the most exclusive mens' shop or department and
ask who their "outside tailor" is, the guy or girl they use for special alterations. This person
should work on the shoulders. As for Phineas Cole, it's costume: intended for a certain fey
demographic.

Too bad Despos doesn't have the time to take off from his bespoke business. He'd probably be the most capable.

LennonMcCartney

Reaction score
How much would a bespoke suit from Chris D. run me? This was 1,500. I am guessing between 2-3k.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is better, but not great. A lot of people go to RLBL because they hear such great things, especially on this forum, but it is a terribly difficult fit that most people miss on. The shoulders on most RLBL are typically structured in a way that if you have sloping shoulders, you're screwed. For your next suit, I would probably look outside of RLBL.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
The Paul Stewart you posted looks terrible. It looks like a women's jacket.

Your RLBL looks okay, but it's too big in the shoulders. My RLBL is slightly big in the shoulders too, though not as much as yours. I think the cut is intended for someone who has more developed shoulders than both of us.

+1 to jrd617. Nice simple explanation.

I don't think it is about developed shoulders, but rather square shoulders. I have insanely small shoulders and an insanely small frame for my 6'4" body, but the shoulders of RLBL fit me perfectly. In fact, the entire 40L fits me perfectly.

Conversely, the brands with the completely natural shoulder fall off of me and I look like a Golden Girl.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by usctrojans31
It is better, but not great. A lot of people go to RLBL because they hear such great things, especially on this forum, but it is a terribly difficult fit that most people miss on. The shoulders on most RLBL are typically structured in a way that if you have sloping shoulders, you're screwed.
No, the shoulders are just plain wide. A lot less to do with shoulder slope. I have "squared" shoulders.

LennonMcCartney

Reaction score
I will say this: the shoulder on the jacket are at my natural shoulder. When I push down on the shoulder of my jacket, it hits my actual shoulder. But it does look odd.

pitboss12

Reaction score
Now that you've got the issues with the jacket straight, remember to take a couple of links out of the watch band.
biggrin.gif

LennonMcCartney

Reaction score
Absolutely. It's a fossil though. My shoes are Alend Edmonds off ebay, at least I did that right. Would Zenga be something more appropriate for me?
49117292VG_13_f.jpg
Button stance still too high? The jacket looks short. Does anyone have any CC Corneliani images?

the_jro

Reaction score
I was at Saks today and tried on several suits including Zegna's Milano (which I adore), but it does have a very soft shoulder. I also tried the HF Brampton. It has a gorgeous Loro Piana fabric and I thought the cut was comparable to the Milano. It has maybe a little less waist suppression and a center vent, but it does have more of a structured shoulder if that's what you're looking for. (I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary about the button stance, but I admit I wasn't paying very close attention to it.)

B0111305023.detail.a.jpg

http://www.hickeyfreeman.com/mens-ta...rampton-model/

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lennon, stop asking about brands. This is your major sticking point. Each brand will have 4 or 5 different shapes, and you'll end up buying loads of suits trying to find the right one.

Go in to some shops (any brand you mentioned) and try them on. Look for a smooth shoulder line. Look for a nice length, look for a good trouser width.

Ignore the brand name for anything that isn't a reassurance of quality. No Brand will fit you, but a Suit will.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just think you bought one size too big. I'm 6' 0" on a pretty slim bone frame, but I have a 10" drop (from gyming) and the 38Rs are still a bit big on me at the back of the shoulders and in the waist. The 36Rs are tight as hell on me, but I think they'd fit you a lot better (from the info. you've given).

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i don't think you really screwed up, it looks pretty nice IMO. definitely an improvement. perhaps just do some military presses/pushups? (this will surely help with all your future suit fits).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads