1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Took the plunge: first AEs!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Imhoff, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Imhoff

Imhoff Senior member

Alright, I know there is a ton of threads about AE shoes. But finally got my first ever pair of AEs!

Been a long time lurker and been following those who give out great advice. As someone who wore less than quality shoes, this is a definite step up.

Thank you SFer's for your fashion/quality wisdom. I selected to go with Black Park Aves. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for the not great pic.

2. s0rce

s0rce Well-Known Member

They look great!

I have a pair of AE Evanstons my go to black shoe.

3. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

Congratulations.

Lace them like so:

[​IMG]

- b

4. Archivist

Archivist Senior member

5. Saltricks

Saltricks Senior member

So is bar lacing the standard for balmorals?

6. sygyzy

sygyzy Senior member

In the tutorial, the final laces come out in a way you can tie the shoe. In voxsartoria's picture, how would one tie anything? do you just leave it untied, tuck under the tongue?

7. entrero

entrero Senior member

In the tutorial, the final laces come out in a way you can tie the shoe. In voxsartoria's picture, how would one tie anything? do you just leave it untied, tuck under the tongue?

It's just for show. It's impossible to put in your feet without deforming the whole shoe. Works for sneakers though

8. Imhoff

Imhoff Senior member

Congratulations.

Lace them like so:

[​IMG]

- b

Thank you vox for your seal of approval. [​IMG]

+1

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/straightbarlacing.htm

And thank you Arch. I remember seeing that link a thread awhile ago. Saves me searching for it. Again, thank you.

9. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

Congratulations - a pair of Black PAs are an excellent way to start with AEs.

10. RangerP

RangerP Senior member

Congrats!

I also just got my first 2 pairs two weeks ago... Could not be happier with my purchases!

Thanks to the others for the link about the lacing.... definitely useful...

11. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Black PAs--always a sensible choice...although I rarely wear mine since I rarely wear suits, being a more casual sort of guy.

Anyway, congrats on your first pair of A-Es. They can become very addictive.

12. hobscrk777

hobscrk777 Senior member

Welcome to the club! The black Park Avenue was my first quality dress shoe, too.

13. kirbya

kirbya Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Welcome to the club! The black Park Avenue was my first quality dress shoe, too.

Mine too! Purchased a returned pair for a nice discount from Ron Rider while in college! They'll last a lifetime if well taken care of.

14. krish88

krish88 Active Member

That was my first good pair or shoes, just got them a few months ago and LOVE them! I've since purchased the brown PA's as well, just as amazing

15. bringusingoodale

bringusingoodale Senior member

You are on the right track. But some day you will learn to hate black shoes, and then and only then will you truly thank this Forum.[​IMG] [​IMG]

16. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

You are on the right track. But some day you will learn to hate black shoes, and then and only then will you truly thank this Forum.[​IMG] [​IMG]

This, seriously. My Park Aves are the only black shoes I've got and that only because I'm frequently in a tuxedo and nobody makes patent leather in my size. Seems like now every time I pick up a new pair of shoes they're brown or cordovan or oxblood...

Congratulations. Your footwear is better constructed and more tasteful than that of 95% of the men you'll encounter. Enjoy your shoes!

17. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

If you see a pair of AE's you like on their website, call the Shoe Bank at the AE factory in Port Washington, WI. Ask if they have any seconds in your size and buy them. They are usually deeply discounted (30% or more) and virtually indistinguishable from the firsts. I have six pairs of seconds and have yet to figure out the flaw that made them seconds. If you get on their email list, you can do even better on their discontinued lines. I got a pair of Bel Airs and another pair of saddle shoes for my dad last month. With two sets of trees, shipping and tax, it was about $260. Hella good deal.

18. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Senior member

Congratulations - a pair of Black PAs are an excellent way to start with AEs.

Totally agree. Good choice.

19. bleachboy

bleachboy Senior member

Congratulations, sir! Wear them in good health!