• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Too uncool for leather jacket?

Seoul Soul

Reaction score
I'm struggling with the question whether I could pull off wearing a leather jacket.

I'm 23, look younger than my age, and my usual style was "preppy" -- oxford shirts, cardigans, chinos, coats, chelsea boots. I've been called well-dressed and I'm confident in the clothes I wear now. However, I felt something was missing in my wardrobe: masculinity, attitude, "edge".

I thought this was incompatible with my current style, but ever since I saw a friend wearing a leather jacket over a dress shirt and looking amazing, . The problem is: he certainly looks like a "cool" guy, with a "bad boy" edge (tall, always smiling, dark stubble, generally handsome). I certainly don't.

These are the problems I see in myself wearing a leather jacket:
- My overall frame is normal, but not impressive by any means. I'm exactly 6 foot tall, my shoulders are of average (certainly not below) width as well.
- When you get into the details, it gets bad: long thin arms, thin neck, thin legs. I look bad in short sleeves and shorts.
- My face. Not only is it youthful, I also wear glasses. I've often been told I look like "someone intelligent". To paraphrase: like a nerd.

I excluded "wild/bad boy/biker/rocker/punk" jackets from the start and looked for a tamer, "smarter" model you could imagine a family father wearing to office. I've stumbled over and almost instantly ordered this one (picture attached): https://www.tigerofsweden.com/se/outerwear/jeppe-jacket-T64713001.html

In Europe, it normally cost 650 euro ($780), however, they had exactly one in my size left on discount: for as little as 258 euro ($300). I've made previous experiences with the cuts and quality of the Tiger of Sweden brand: their stuff fits and lasts. You don't get a chance like this every day. The jacket will arrive tomorrow. Even if I don't feel like wearing it, I'll probably keep it, since I could likely sell it for a higher price than I got it,
or wait until "I feel ready" in a more advanced age.

What I'm asking you for isn't some abstract self-help ("just be yourself!"/"if you like it, wear it"), but a factual, critical discussion on the topic of whether a leather jacket suits everyone, and, in particular, weather this leather jacket could suit a guy like myself -- or I should look for a more masculine style in other directions.
leatherjacket.jpg

Pete E

Reaction score
Firstly, that's not a leather jacket, but rather a suede one and I think that's a very important distinction...
Secondly both true leather and suede jackets come in such a huge variety, I would say that there are jackets that will suit everyone..
Thirdly, don't think of this jacket as a stand alone item that you are going to simply wear over your present shirts; rather think of it as just one component of a new "look" or "vib" you are trying to project. In other words, you will probably have to fine tune the other garments you intend to wear to get the best results.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might have better luck over at the Streetwear section.

Pete E

Reaction score
I would add that I would not have bought that colour jacket either but would have rather stuck with more traditional tans or browns which are more versatile, style wise...

Seoul Soul

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies so far.

Firstly, that's not a leather jacket, but rather a suede one and I think that's a very important distinction...
Yup, you're right. But what does this mean concretely? Does suede look more tame, perhaps? That's the impression I get from photos.
... rather think of it as just one component of a new "look" or "vib" you are trying to project. In other words, you will probably have to fine tune the other garments you intend to wear to get the best results.
So the obvious question that follows: what goes with it?
I would add that I would not have bought that colour jacket either but would have rather stuck with more traditional tans or browns which are more versatile, style wise...
Huh? I thought that black is *the* traditional color for leather jackets and also the most versatile one.

You might have better luck over at the Streetwear section.
Probably you're right. Any moderator can feel free to move this thread into this section, I'm not capable of that.

JJ Katz

Reaction score
Don't be so lame. "Bad boy vibe"?? :)

I'm a lot older than you are, but I've never subscribed to the notion that a person is or isn't 'cool enough' or able/unable to 'pull off' a specific commonplace garment. We're not talking spats or a tricorn hat or a tie-dye codpiece...

Leather jackets (of some sort) are one of the most common items of clothing around... If you like it, go for it. However, if you have found in the recent past that you buy stuff you never wear, due to the issues above, then maybe you should save your money.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads