• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Too pretentious?

slimjohnson

Reaction score
In the members' opinion, would a two-button, double-vented suit with peak lapels to too showy? Should I go with notch lapels instead? It would be with flat-front pants, too. I'm thinking of getting a nice black suit made in either, I think I have this correct, Super 110s or 120s. Thanks for the input. Y'all rock.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think manton would be more bothered by the "black" than by the "2-Button, peak lapels, double vented". i'm not so sure i agree, but there you go.

then again, in black, i only have a black, pinstriped db. but then, i've had it for 2 1/2 years and wore it once. i find black suits to be less useful than you would think.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I think that configuration looks good in grey, but black is a bit too much. Too many powerful elements going on there: an (assumedly) lower button stance, peaked lapels and the black color. I might consider a dark charcoal with that set-up, which otherwise sounds pretty good to me (although after seeing Beaman's work I have been infatuated with one-buttons). Having black in a suit is a very powerful factor so it belongs with simpler elements.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the members' opinion, would a two-button, double-vented suit with peak lapels to too showy? Should I go with notch lapels instead? It would be with flat-front pants, too. I'm thinking of getting a nice black suit made in either, I think I have this correct, Super 110s or 120s. Thanks for the input. Y'all rock.
Too showy for what? Too showy for shopping at Home Depot... yes.

Can people please provide context for questions being asked?

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go charcoal. Please please please please please. A nice dark charcoal will look black, but you can still get away with wearing it during the day.

dietcookie

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with being a little pretentious
wink.gif
Off topic but I took my GF out to dinner to a nice restaurant for Vday. We used valet parking and when we came back the guy pulls up into a car that wasn't mine and I say, "Actually my car is the White BMW over there.." I felt pretty pretentious there, kinda awkward..

Phil

Reaction score
I dont think that suit is pretentious at all. However, I am not very objective on the matter, since about 75% of my suits are set up this way (single breast, peak lapel, duel vents). Peak lapels, until this past fashion season, could pretty much only be found in MTM and bespoke, but now they are all over the place. Given some time though, they will fade back into obscurity.

The black color is a different question altogether. I find solid black suits a bit severe. If you are set on black, maybe you could get a black pinstripe, or a black/charcoal nailhead?

jester

Reaction score
Context, context, context. Mike C. is right. Is this your first suit after college and you're working for a bank? Do you have 15 other suits in your office at the ad agency and this would be your 16th? What's it for, and what else do you have?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too showy for what? Too showy for shopping at Home Depot... yes.

Can people please provide context for questions being asked?

Yeah, give context. Not too showy for a fir 20 or 30 something going out on a Saturday night. Probably a little ridiculous on a slightly overweight 50 year old, even if he has the corner office. Unless he is Tom Ford. Tom, what are you doing on the forum. Welcome.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No. It isn't pretentious. If it is a good looking suit, then go for it.

Hoya Saxa

Reaction score
In the members' opinion, would a two-button, double-vented suit with peak lapels to too showy?  Should I go with notch lapels instead?  It would be with flat-front pants, too.  I'm thinking of getting a nice black suit made in either, I think I have this correct, Super 110s or 120s.  Thanks for the input.  Y'all rock.
Interesting choice. I believe that Joseph K., the protagonist in Franz Kafka's "The Trial" wore a similar suit. According to the text, he considered it to be his most formal, elegant piece of clothing.

Cheers,

Hoya

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads