1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Too pretentious?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by slimjohnson, Mar 7, 2005.

1. slimjohnson

slimjohnson Member

In the members' opinion, would a two-button, double-vented suit with peak lapels to too showy? Should I go with notch lapels instead? It would be with flat-front pants, too. I'm thinking of getting a nice black suit made in either, I think I have this correct, Super 110s or 120s. Thanks for the input. Y'all rock.

2. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Distinguished Member

i think manton would be more bothered by the "black" than by the "2-Button, peak lapels, double vented". i'm not so sure i agree, but there you go.

then again, in black, i only have a black, pinstriped db. but then, i've had it for 2 1/2 years and wore it once. i find black suits to be less useful than you would think.

3. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I think that configuration looks good in grey, but black is a bit too much. Too many powerful elements going on there: an (assumedly) lower button stance, peaked lapels and the black color. I might consider a dark charcoal with that set-up, which otherwise sounds pretty good to me (although after seeing Beaman's work I have been infatuated with one-buttons). Having black in a suit is a very powerful factor so it belongs with simpler elements.

4. Mike C.

Mike C. Distinguished Member

Too showy for what? Too showy for shopping at Home Depot... yes.

Can people please provide context for questions being asked?

5. Alias

Alias Distinguished Member

Go charcoal. Please please please please please. A nice dark charcoal will look black, but you can still get away with wearing it during the day.

6. oldskool

oldskool Senior Member

7. amirrorcrackd

amirrorcrackd Senior Member

8. dietcookie

dietcookie Senior Member

Nothing wrong with being a little pretentious [​IMG] Off topic but I took my GF out to dinner to a nice restaurant for Vday. We used valet parking and when we came back the guy pulls up into a car that wasn't mine and I say, "Actually my car is the White BMW over there.." I felt pretty pretentious there, kinda awkward..

9. Phil

Phil Senior Member

I dont think that suit is pretentious at all. However, I am not very objective on the matter, since about 75% of my suits are set up this way (single breast, peak lapel, duel vents). Peak lapels, until this past fashion season, could pretty much only be found in MTM and bespoke, but now they are all over the place. Given some time though, they will fade back into obscurity.

The black color is a different question altogether. I find solid black suits a bit severe. If you are set on black, maybe you could get a black pinstripe, or a black/charcoal nailhead?

10. jester

jester Senior Member

Context, context, context. Mike C. is right. Is this your first suit after college and you're working for a bank? Do you have 15 other suits in your office at the ad agency and this would be your 16th? What's it for, and what else do you have?

11. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Yeah, give context. Not too showy for a fir 20 or 30 something going out on a Saturday night. Probably a little ridiculous on a slightly overweight 50 year old, even if he has the corner office. Unless he is Tom Ford. Tom, what are you doing on the forum. Welcome.

12. Kai

Kai Distinguished Member

No. It isn't pretentious. If it is a good looking suit, then go for it.

13. Hoya Saxa

Hoya Saxa Senior Member

Interesting choice. I believe that Joseph K., the protagonist in Franz Kafka's "The Trial" wore a similar suit. According to the text, he considered it to be his most formal, elegant piece of clothing.

Cheers,

Hoya