Too old for sneakers?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mr bunbury, Jul 12, 2011.

1. mr bunbury

mr bunbury Senior member

I dunno if you're too old for sneakers but you're definitely too young for loafers, yuck!

Great - a double bind!

2. Harbin

Harbin Senior member

looking like a big kid at your age could also mean swag...to a certain extent

3. Dr Huh?

Dr Huh? Senior member

If you don't like wearing sneakers, just don't wear them. You don't have to like sneakers.

4. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

I'm 31 too. Probably in a similar boat as a professional in a fairly casual industry. On weekends I'm all about sneakers, but keep it simple with MMM GATs or Dior GATs (simple in terms of no logo or anything weird).

I have a problem with dressier shoes though, because they become uber dressy fast. I'm not sure I can help you there.

Oh yeah, sneaker sneakers, like Nike or New Balance, don't wear them unless you're exercising. It is horrible for men of our age.

5. transient

transient Senior member

The pic I posted isn't the best examples because that guy is obviously trying to make a statement. But really, it's true that you can wear something like CPs to your casket and it'll look appropriate. But I also understand dressing for your environment as well, which sounds like your dilemma TBH. If that's the case then don't wear sneakers. I know a lot of 30 somethings could easily pull off the young and exuberant vibe you can get by wearing sneakers... So no, you're not too old.

6. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Senior member

[​IMG] Don't go for teen brands like Vans or something.

...what?

7. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Great - a double bind!

Even 102 y/o on their deathbeds are too young for loafers.

Sneakers on the other hand....

8. CharlieAngel

Even 102 y/o on their deathbeds are too young for loafers.

Sneakers on the other hand....

I disagree in general. Those particular ugly fucking shitty loafers he posted should be burned and destroyed, but loafers can be a pretty nifty shoe. Paul Smith had some killer loafers a few seasons ago and there's plenty of, dare I say it, nice loafers out there that I would love to have in my closet to admire (see: Berluti, etc), but I'll be in jeans, t-shirts, sneakers and hoodies I imagine well into my 50s. If that makes me a "big kid" in your book, so be it.

9. Astronaut888

Astronaut888 Senior member

As a sympathizer w/ the original poster - I also feel strange in sneakers. Totally a personal thing.

Just can't find ones that don't make me feel like a kid - of course, I am only 5'6", so that certainly adds to it.

What are "cps".........? - forgive my ignorance.

10. MrGoodBytes

MrGoodBytes Senior member

31 and in shape but the last pair of gym shoes I bought was when I was 14. the only stuff that I have that is anything resembling sneakerish is really only used for working in the garage.

11. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

Get more sedate sneakers, then. I don't see how a pair of standard Common Projects can ever feel kid-like.

12. CharlieAngel

What are "cps".........? - forgive my ignorance.

Common Projects

13. mr bunbury

mr bunbury Senior member

CharlieAngel, I apologize if I gave the impression that I'm judgmental about older people in sneakers. I see lots of older guys who look awesome in sneakers -- I'm especially jealous of, for example, the badass older Japanese guy in Visvim look. It just doesn't work for me. I think the problem is that I'm too linebacker-like for sneakers to look like anything other than athletic wear, which in turn makes non-athletic 'minimalist' sneakers like Common Projects look silly. If you look good in sneakers more power to you!

I posted those Leather Soul loafers just because they have a sort of comfort / walking shoe thing going on. I think they're kind of ugly too. What a conundrum! I think it may be that MMM GATs are the holy grail here.....

14. linds_15

linds_15 Senior member

i agree with most of the posts here, minimalist sneakers will be just fine, im only in my 20s but i couldnt see myself wearing the air maxs or jordans ive been collecting, but something like cps can be just perfect

15. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

JP work IMO with denim. Rod Laver too. Just be careful what you select so that you don't go late 80's retro like this guy......[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]