• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TOO MUCH PROTEiN???

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Originally Posted by knucks
When I was on my cut 2 years ago I was consuming 320g or so. I weighed 150lbs.

Did not lose any noticeable muscle mass.

Do you really need to be cutting if you only have 150 lbs of LBM? Are you 5'3"?

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
Muscle is something like 6 kcal/hr, fat is 2 kcal/hr.

If you put on 10 lbs of muscle (a lot), that will only increase your metabolic rate by 60 kcal a day... hardly anything.

I'm no rocket surgeon, but these numbers seem off.

If the original declaration is in pounds, then an additional 10 lbs. of muscle would increase metabolic rate by 60 kcal per hour, which is 1440 kcal per day, which is hardly hardly anything. Ain't no way I'm maintaining 10 extra pounds on 3/4 cup of Cheerios every day.

adversity04

Reaction score
Haha wow I was about to walk away the first time he replied but I guess people here do care and know what they're talking about.
Some of us do
wink.gif

flyjordan

Reaction score
So now to shift the direction of this post, I just got off of a diet, where i dropped about 13 lbs in 2 weeks while still lifting. I am now reintroducing complex carbs and sugars into my system. How should my eating be set-up?

For example yesterday it looked like this:
8 am: Protein Shake
10 am: 2 hard boiled eggs & toast
1 pm: cobb salad with chicken
3 pm: veggies, hummus, protein bar
7 pm: post-work out shake
8 pm: chicken and ribs, bread, potato, salad
11 pm: protein shake

My goal here is to gain some of my weight back, but gain it back in lean muscle, not just gain back what i lost, which was mostly water and fat.......

Am I missing anything? Eating too often? Not enough complex carbs?

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ken
I'm no rocket surgeon, but these numbers seem off.

If the original declaration is in pounds, then an additional 10 lbs. of muscle would increase metabolic rate by 60 kcal per hour, which is 1440 kcal per day, which is hardly hardly anything. Ain't no way I'm maintaining 10 extra pounds on 3/4 cup of Cheerios every day.

It should kcal/lbs.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ken
I'm no rocket surgeon, but these numbers seem off. If the original declaration is in pounds, then an additional 10 lbs. of muscle would increase metabolic rate by 60 kcal per hour, which is 1440 kcal per day, which is hardly hardly anything. Ain't no way I'm maintaining 10 extra pounds on 3/4 cup of Cheerios every day.
Haha sorry my mistake in calculation- it isn't per hour, it's just kcal/lb or something- the base numbers I cited are correct, but it's not per hour. If you want I can look up the study later and see exactly what it is, probably per day or something.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by flyjordan
So now to shift the direction of this post, I just got off of a diet, where i dropped about 13 lbs in 2 weeks while still lifting. I am now reintroducing complex carbs and sugars into my system. How should my eating be set-up?

My goal here is to gain some of my weight back, but gain it back in lean muscle, not just gain back what i lost, which was mostly water and fat.......

Am I missing anything? Eating too often? Not enough complex carbs?

13 lb in 2 weeks is going to be essentially all water. Assuming your caloric burn is 4k a day, you would have to eat 0 calories a day for 2 weeks to lose 13 lb in 2 weeks. Was the diet you were on CR or low-carb?

In terms of the diet you posted, I would eliminate carbs after 7 PM.

flyjordan

Reaction score
It was the south beach diet. I did it to support my girl. Basically rabbit food and protein for the past 2 weeks. thats it.

I am confident that it is mostly water, but I can still gain a lot. I used to be a college football player, and I have a big frame. I never have worried about my health or weight, until now. I am getting back into lifting, after about 2 years off, and want to do as much as possible.....

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was the south beach diet. I did it to support my girl. Basically rabbit food and protein for the past 2 weeks. thats it.

I am confident that it is mostly water, but I can still gain a lot. I used to be a college football player, and I have a big frame. I never have worried about my health or weight, until now. I am getting back into lifting, after about 2 years off, and want to do as much as possible.....

If your worried about your health make sure you lay off the ribs, especially if your sample day was meant to be representative of a typical day.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Haha sorry my mistake in calculation- it isn't per hour, it's just kcal/lb or something- the base numbers I cited are correct, but it's not per hour. If you want I can look up the study later and see exactly what it is, probably per day or something.

Well, then, I don't buy it. I'm about 170 right now; I don't see maintaining 180 just by adding a few extra spoonfuls of cottage cheese.

Like drizz said, 13 lbs is a lot. If you want to gain it back, I'd move the solid meal to 8 am and add about 4 more eggs along with some oatmeal and fruit. Your first meal should be the biggest solid meal of the day. In general, you'll need more food than that to gain that much weight, and you should probably replace some of the supplement (the bar and shakes) with whole foods. Eat meals containing protein+carbs or protein+fat to stay lean.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

What is your height and weight currently?

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ken
Do you really need to be cutting if you only have 150 lbs of LBM? Are you 5'3"?

yes =P, some short people do need to cut
At 5 ft 6, I'm around 153 mark but I don't have a six pack
I figure by the time I hit 140, I'll have a six pack ( might be too much loss but i'll stop whenever I get my six pack)

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ken
Well, then, I don't buy it. I'm about 170 right now; I don't see maintaining 180 just by adding a few extra spoonfuls of cottage cheese.

It's significantly more complicated than that, but if you want to maintain your muscle/fat at a decent ratio, you're going to have to be working out at least twice a week, and eating more to make up for the kcal expenditures of working out to start.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads