• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

too much entertainment

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a few years ago i was in a restaurant, and there was this really annoying music playing, and then i walked into a clothing store, and there was different, even more annoying music playing. and i realized that no matter where i went, there was always music playing. i thought to myself, "do we really need to be entertained while eating? while shopping?"

do the store owners think that if there is a moment's silcence, we'll rush out of the store/restaurant? and so for a couple of years it bugged me that there was music playing everywhere whenever i left the house.

then i saw a car drive by with tv screens behind the front headrests. and i saw commercials for dvd players in minivans because, God forbid, your children should look out the window. then of course they started turning cell phones into televisions, then came the ipod, then i noticed that they installed small flatscreen tvs in all the elevators i ride. then they installed tvs on the bus. last week i stopped to buy gas and found there is now a tv screen that automatically switched from random ads to video entertainmnet once you insert your card into the pump.

yesterday i went to the dentist, and while the lady cleaned my teeth, above me, there was a high-def flatscreen so i could watch extreme skiing.

Rome

Mr. Chocolates Godiva
Reaction score
In order to remain at optimal docile and consumption levels I recommend you let the entertainment do the thinking for you. Unsponsored thinking contains side effects that may be hazardous to your health.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
then i saw a car drive by with tv screens behind the front headrests. and i saw commercials for dvd players in minivans because, God forbid, your children should look out the window.

If you have ever been on a long road trip with children, you would have a different view of dvd players in cars. I think that maybe the only reason I (and my kids) have survived some trips is that they were too busy watching movies to fight with each other and wonder aloud "are we there yet?"

savage

Reaction score
Have you been into any stores that don't have music playing? It tends to feel like somehtign missing. Usually galleries don;t have anythign going on and it's so quiet its' like a library and everyone talks in hushed voices. As one who works in a shop all day, music is quite nice to pass the time.

In restaurants there is usally background music, but if the place is busy you can't even hear it.

fatty

Reaction score
i don't like loud music in restaurants because it's hard to talk. Soft background music is acceptable. Coffee shops can get away with nothing but the clinking of mugs and the expresso machine. Remember kids, dance music in restaurants is bad.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kai
If you have ever been on a long road trip with children, you would have a different view of dvd players in cars. I think that maybe the only reason I (and my kids) have survived some trips is that they were too busy watching movies to fight with each other and wonder aloud "are we there yet?"
who hasn't been on a long road trip with kids? and who hasn't been a kid on a long road trip? it's called human interaction, and it's a good thing.

think back to the road trips you took as a child, and i'll bet you have some memories of being bored out of your mind and fidgeting in your seat. you will also have some good memories of asking questions, playing with your brothers or sisters, and having those special moments between you and whatever you were looking at out the window. don't deny your kids those same memories and don't turn them into a.d.d. americans addicted to artificial stimulation.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kai
Good point. But I can also see matador's point. I have noticed a disturbing trend where we seem to need to watch movies and TV everywhere. In the goddamn WASHROOM of a sports restaurant I go to here, there's a TV. It's positioned exactly so every guy standing up in a urinal or stall can watch the game if one's going on and not miss a beat. I think it's ludicrous. I'd rather my customers watch where they're aiming their hose than the game, myself.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I agree with Matador. I've had this rant with my fiancee way too many times. Esp with the cellphone entertainment, it's like people can't be alone with their own thoughts for more than 2 minutes before getting so distracted they need a technological pacifier. And now with Amp'd mobile, you can download movies and tv shows on a "pay as you watch" program...who the F wants to watch movies on a screen about 2" wide???

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I agree with Matador. I've had this rant with my fiancee way too many times. Esp with the cellphone entertainment, it's like people can't be alone with their own thoughts for more than 2 minutes before getting so distracted they need a technological pacifier. And now with Amp'd mobile, you can download movies and tv shows on a "pay as you watch" program...who the F wants to watch movies on a screen about 2" wide???

+1,000,000

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm with Matador too. Sometimes, I wish I didn't own a TV. And I utterly refuse to keep a television in the bedroom.

Another example is the countless number of ipods I see on a daily basis. Everyone's a detacher these days. C'mon people, that's the world out there that you're missing out on. Sights, sounds, interaction, for good or bad, it's life. Live in it.

Another thing I need to get off my chest: Running outside without listening to music is MUCH better than grinding out a workout with the ipod blaring.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
More stores should subscribe to DJ mixes. Factory People often has dance parties at their store with DJs. But other than those times they have the employees play CDs. I told them that they should have DJ mixes only as they are professionals and certainly more qualified than the retail employees.

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
target doesn't play music, and the day that i noticed it, it seemed so eerie and quiet in there that i had to ask one of the employees if they normally played music or not.

i agree it's getting really out of control... and i prefer my own soundtrack to life as opposed to other people making one for me.

Rome

Mr. Chocolates Godiva
Reaction score
...as typed by people on an internet board.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rome
...as typed by people on an internet board.
yes, i recognize the irony, but it's all a matter of balance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads