• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Too many Jack Spade bags. Need help making sense of it all.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My JS bag fell apart (all the velcro came off, zippers broke, etc.) after less than a year of use. I'll never buy another.

chiamdream

Reaction score
Echoing the Filson comments posted here. Some of the Jack Spade stuff is decent, and if you can find it on sale, not a terrible deal, but if you're leaning towards Filson, I think it's definitely the way to go. When I was researching this bag, I couldn't for the life of me find a picture of the inside, so in the interest of paying it forward, here's my 257:
3785666591_6409a1aa50_o.jpg
15" Mac Book Pro. There's a little section that fits it perfectly. The zippers are serious, and the teeth can definitely scratch up the machine if you care about that sort of thing. With the discount from Crane's, you can't go wrong.

mulder

Reaction score
Thanks for all the information everyone! I think I might have been swayed towards the Filson. The 257 is looking more and more like the top contender. I didn't even realize it, but I had a Filson catalog sitting under a stack of mail at home.
smile.gif
Good sign. I did add Saddleback Leather to my list, but in terms of my current budget, the Filson is more in line with that. But I'm still weighing my choices. I want this to be the right decision. @chiamdream, thanks so much for posting a picture. That helps a lot! I was already think those zippers would be problematic for scratching, but I'm going to have the laptop in a full sleeve, so I think that should negate any scratching.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
people need to get off filson's dick. yes, they make nice bags, but the consequence of their materials is that they are heavy and bulky looking. its annoying that literally every bag thread devolves into OMG BUY A FILSON 257!!!!

mulder

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
people need to get off filson's dick. yes, they make nice bags, but the consequence of their materials is that they are heavy and bulky looking. its annoying that literally every bag thread devolves into OMG BUY A FILSON 257!!!!

Do you have another bag suggestion? I'm all ears. I'm not dedicated to the Filson 257. It is just getting high praise and it seems like a great bag. I assumed all the Filson kudos was for a reason. Granted, I also know what happens to people who assume. But seeing as how I came to the forums for suggestions, the more the better.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
there are many, many, many options

IMO I think that you should wait until gilt has another ralph lauren accessories or lamberston treux sale and snatch up a much nicer bag than a filson at a comparable price.

I like filson (and own a bag from them), but at the same time I recognize the brands limitations.

you can probably find some want les essentials de la vie rather cheap too

if you like the jack spade aesthetic, but want something higher quality, DEFINITELY look into porter

foxnwolf

Reaction score
i can't believe i can still make $80 off ebay selling my jack spade bag...
i was just going to give it to goodwill..

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger

+1, if you're into heavy sturdy bags go for it, but to me the decency of a bag is not just about how thick and durable it is, I value design and aesthetic quite highly, moreso than durability. Also lets be realistic, a jack spade bag is more than adequate in durability for someone in the 'burbs/city, if even a tad much.

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just use a Timbuk2 Commuter bag made from olive green/grey ballistic nylon. 9 years, 5 bike wrecks, still going strong. Made in the USA, $45 on eBay, looks like something a 20 year old would wear, don't really care.
wink.gif
Filsons have always looked busy to me. Too many zippers, stitch points, etc, on the exterior (actually, I think it's the top handles that blow the aesthetic for me... I'm a shoulder strap guy, cross-body style. Then again, I also ride bikes and motorcycles and don't like backpacks, so that leaves me with...)... Plus, they're look old-fashioned. While that is an acceptable aesthetic to some (I'm a sucker for vintage chambray and western shirts, not to mention ecstatic about the work boot revival), there's something about the Filson look that bothers me. I much prefer, say, a vintage leather mail bag over the 257.

mulder

Reaction score
Argh, now I don't know what decision to make. LOL! I found a new Jack Spade Drill Nylon for about $150. It's very tempting, especially considering they go for $400 at Zappos. Decisons, decisions. Edited to add: I decided to not go for it. It was an Ebay sale. The more I thought about it, the more I like the look of the waxwear over the drill. It's a tough decision, but it's down to these three: - Jack Spade Waxwear Computer Field Bag - Filson 257 - Ernest Alexander Voldis Grey Waxwear Bag

thebruce

Reaction score
What's the verdict? Which one did you go with? How is it working out?

rawdice

Reaction score
As a big Jack fans we have managed to get UK distribution rights here at rawdice and have chosen a selection we think works well across casual to smart, we'll expand the range soon, I am biased, but have to say quality is superb, and what I personally have always liked is that the bags age so well. My personal 5 year old Jack messenger just looks better year on year... what was smart is now casual!

Anyway check it out... and even better 10% off for a short while...

www.rawdice.co.uk

we are also stocking some cool wallets from Jack too..

www.rawdice.co.uk/accessories

Enjoy

Hehlol

Reaction score
Ernest Alexander's messengers are a compromise betwen Filson and Jack Spade and probably better made than both.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads