• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Too good to be true?  part ii

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....ck=true I couldn't hyperlink the auction due to problems with my mouse. But please take a look at it via cut and paste. I figured for the price, if it's fake who cares -- and the guy offered Paypal protection. This guy isn't a watch seller -- he sells mainly used auto parts. I took a gamble that this guy just didn't know what he had. So, what does everybody think? Is this real, a sure fake, or a "maybe real"? Even if it's fake, it looks cool. I can't wait to receive it.

MikeF

Reaction score
Sure fake. I'm sure all will concur on this.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MikeF,

What are the tip-offs, besides the price. Just curious as to what you are looking for.

My thinking -- if it's real, I got the greatest deal ever. If it's a fake, I can either keep it or complain via the Paypal protection policy that was offered to me. Either way, it didn't cost me much to take a gamble. And if it's a good quality fake, well that's not so bad either.

TomW

Reaction score
The band is a new replacement, the case appears genuine - though it's hard to say for sure from the pictures (too low res to resize and still read/idenify font, etc). I would be willing to bet that the movement has been replaced with a quartz movement of asian origin if indeed the case is genuine.

I'm hoping the case and movement are both legit and you got one heck of a buy... Keep us posted.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll let you know as soon as I receive it. He is apparently a very quick shipper, so I should get the watch by Thursday at the latest. If it's a fake, it's pretty good. You'd think that they would just put a regular leather band or a bracelet band on it, rather than the leather band with the metal clasp. So, if it's a fake, they went to a good deal of trouble to make it look real.

When I get it, I'll pop off the back if I suspect it is real so I can check the movement. If it is transparently fake, then of course I'll know not to bother.

MikeF

Reaction score
It's fake because watches like that are plentiful on Canal Street in New York, in Patpong in Bangkok, in the night markets in Hong Kong, et cetera. The band and clasp looks precisely like what is included with those sorts of watches. I would bet money that not a single component of the watch you bought is real, including the case.

Consider also the auction description - brand new, but sold without papers or box, and "as is". I suspect "as is" is code for "it's fake" and represents the seller's attempt to insulate himself from complaints.

armscye

Reaction score
There is a reason why the watch guys at Timezone call Ebay "E-prey". I myself have NEVER known of a fully satisfactory, "no surprises" watch transaction on Ebay. You're just asking for trouble.

I'll do a separate thread on watch fakes based on my 15 years of experience. The first rule, however, is that if you have 1% doubt as to the authenticity of a Rolex, Cartier, Breitling, Patek, or Vacheron. it's almost certainly fake. Those are the brands most faked and best faked.

rws

Reaction score
It does look like a counterfeit, and (from the low-resolution pictures) not a convincing one at that.

A genuine Patek is (or was when I received mine, twenty years ago) marked on the underside of the strap, on the buckle, on the dial, on the movement, and inside the back of the case. The words, "Patek Philippe", if they appear at all in the markings, are comparatively smaller than shown here.

Additionally, the "gold" case is merely gilt; I know of no gilt Patek cases. The subsidiary dial is neither sunk nor otherwise set off from the principal dial by means which I've known Patek to employ.

One could go on, but you catch the drift. If the watch works, you've something to wear to tell you the time. Just don't let others see what it pretends to be. (Of course, you might be able to send it back.)

bslo

Reaction score
You should ask the seller how much he thinks you should insure the watch for during shipping
tounge.gif
$10,000? $25,000?

William Massena

Reaction score
Your watch is a classic cheap fake.  While I can excuse the fake Rolex because of  pure pretentiousness, the problem with fake Patek like these among pompous snobs like me,  is that it will not only ruin your look and reputation, but also insult our intelligence. William PS: Sorry Offshore Observer, could not resist Â
smile.gif

alaaro

Reaction score
About buying watches on eBay...I bought a Tag Link Series watch on eBay a while ago and it was a great deal. Paid $600 for a watch that is normally 2 or more times that. Flawless watch, with all the papers/box/etc.

I think you just have to use the same caveat when buying anything on eBay. Research the seller and their history, and ask a million questions before you bid. The majority of sellers are good people and are not out to screw you over. You just have to be able to recognize the bad seeds.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should have bought the million dollar watch instead.

Like I said, I felt that if there was a 1 in 100 chance that it was real -- say, perhaps, the guy found it in an alley or something or at a yard sale of some dead guy -- then it was a good gamble. If there wouldn't have been buyer protection from Paypal, I wouldn't have purchased it. If it's a fake, trust me that I'll be able to scare the Bejesus out of the guy to just give me my money back (this is the benefit to being a lawyer). If it's a fake -- which OF COURSE it almost certainly is. I'm not stupid. -- I won't be nice to the guy. In the end, its not worth $75 to him to risk (1) being kicked off Ebay, (2) getting the worst kind of negative feedback, or (3) having the police called.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look at this ridiculous auction: EBay auction
Cmon...What could be wrong with that? I mean he DOES have a 100% feedback. So surprised that there are no bids or buy it now options on that one... Also interesting to have a ref number of 5038 on a watch that they only made 500 of. JJF

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 38.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 29 18.5%

Forum statistics

Threads