• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Too gimmicky a cummerbund?

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anything that isn't black is too gimmicky a cummerbund.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark
Anything that isn't black is too gimmicky a cummerbund.

Disagree there. Even blacktieguide.com says that the waist covering, whether waistcoat or cummerbund, is the one place it's acceptable to add some color to a dinner suit. I'd like to find a nice dark burgundy or even purple, but can't seem to find one that doesn't look too bright.

WBaker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TimelesStyle
Disagree there. Even blacktieguide.com says that the waist covering, whether waistcoat or cummerbund, is the one place it's acceptable to add some color to a dinner suit. I'd like to find a nice dark burgundy or even purple, but can't seem to find one that doesn't look too bright.

Maybe id reconsider, but ive never seen this done well. Id still think black is pretty much the gold standard, and anything else is in a dangerous territory.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WBaker
Maybe id reconsider, but ive never seen this done well. Id still think black is pretty much the gold standard, and anything else is in a dangerous territory.

Fair enough. What I really, really want, if I'm going black, but can't seem to find at a reasonable price is a jacquard paisley one. Ben Silver does a vest in that pattern which looks great but is much more expensive than I want to spend. Also, with the high button stance of my DJ, I think a cummerbund is better suited than a waistcoat.

WBaker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
Yeah I could see this as being a much safer middle ground.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd be tempted to get one of those low-cut white waistcoats with the full back if I wanted something out of the ordinary with my black-tie gettup.

EDIT: Reading comprehension fail.. you explained why you're wearing a cummerbund.

EDIT2: Since you have a higher button stance you'll be showing more or less cummerbund than is typical (not sure how open it is on the bottom), so I'd keep it kinda muted. If you can't see it at all under the jacket, I'd take the recent Bond angle and omit it for the same reason you don't wear one with a DB.

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The first one is
eh.gif

The second one is
laugh.gif

The "Burgundy" one is red on my monitor, but a solid burgundy could work well.

Be careful jazzing up a tux - it's formal wear and not a fashion show.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
I'd be tempted to get one of those low-cut white waistcoats with the full back if I wanted something out of the ordinary with my black-tie gettup.

EDIT: Reading comprehension fail.. you explained why you're wearing a cummerbund.

EDIT2: Since you have a higher button stance you'll be showing more or less cummerbund than is typical (not sure how open it is on the bottom), so I'd keep it kinda muted. If you can't see it at all under the jacket, I'd take the recent Bond angle and omit it for the same reason you don't wear one with a DB.

Yea, I thought about a white waistcoat but the issue is I think it looks odd if just a tiny bit of vest sticks up above my jacket when buttoned. I think the jacket is based on Zegna's standard 2B cut and they just moved the button an inch lower, giving it a rather high stance for a single button.

To your other point, I definitely could go sans-covering. The trousers fit well enough that there won't be any sagging (could even get by w/o braces if I had to/wanted to), nor do I have any bulges in the waist area to conceal.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sort of a matter of personal taste here. If you look at a picture of a handsome fellow wearing an all black bowtie and cummerbund, do you think "wow, that looks sharp"? How about if that same combo is patterened or colored?

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Admittedly I have a Black Watch tie and cummerbund I use for "creative black tie" but colored and funky sets will always make you look like you are stuck in the 1980s.

cncrd

Reaction score
I looked at that, but it was just a bit too bright for my liking. What I'd want is a very dark wine color and probably a solid.

There are a couple on the Carrot & Gibbs site that are close to that wine color, but still maybe a bit light?

Also, if you can find them, there's an (I think Irish) manufacturer called Dion. I have a full back formal vest from them in a black paisley silk that I occasionallly wear with my formal clothes. The manufacturer is extremely difficult to track down, and I may even be wrong about the Ireland part, but I believe that's correct.

Anyway, at the time I bought my vest, I seem to recall that they offered cummerbunds and ties in the same sort of dark conservative fabrics- some paisleys, some textured solids. Might be worth a bit of research.

Sazerac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CousinDonuts
sort of a matter of personal taste here. If you look at a picture of a handsome fellow wearing an all black bowtie and cummerbund, do you think "wow, that looks sharp"? How about if that same combo is patterened or colored?

This is very, very true.

I can theoretically see a nicely patterned cummerbund or waistcoat working, but in practice I can't see many guys pulling it off. It's so terribly easy to come off like a turnip in a rental rig. Instead of letting your personality out with a cummerbund, why not let your personality come out with, you know, your personality.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads