Too early for cotton khaki suit?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mike C., Mar 17, 2005.

1. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

Is it too early for me to wear my cotton khaki suit? I think it is, however I'm sick of wearing all my winter stuff, I really can't stand it anymore; I know all you New Yorkers can sympathize. Thankfully I'm tempted to wear this suit and not my new seersucker one (gotta wait till the Kentucky Derby).

Anyway... is there a rule for cotton suits? For me spring officially starts after Easter.

2. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I would say Easter. You've just got about 10 days. You can hold out.

Are you going to the Derby?

3. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

Nope. But when I bought the seersucker suit, a friend of mine from the South gave me a stiff reading-of-the-rules when wearing seersucker. Kentucky Derby to Labor Day, period.

4. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Well, that's probably good advice. As a genuine Kentuckian I generally view Easter as the start of spring clothes wearing season, however I can see waiting until May to bring out the seersucker. Labor Day is hard and fast, though.

5. misterbowles

misterbowles Senior member

Speaking of seersucker, is it really true that one of the "rules" is that they must be worn with a button-down collar?

6. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

No, but it looks better. Casual suit, casual collar. It would look silly with a cutaway. A tab or a club might might OK.

7. Phil

Phil Senior member

a tennis collar with no collar stays would look nice with it.

8. jester

jester Senior member

I always use Memorial Day as the cutoff for summer suits. I could get weeks more action if I used the Derby as the day.

9. kabert

kabert Senior member

I think of seersucker as a "heat of summer" fabric, whereas tan or khaki is more flexible.

10. smartie_addict

smartie_addict Active Member

(misterbowles @ Mar. 17 2005,04:01) Speaking of seersucker, is it really true that one of the "rules" is that they must be worn with a button-down collar?
    No, but it looks better. Â Casual suit, casual collar. Â It would look silly with a cutaway. Â A tab or a club might might OK.
    so, if a "casual suit" would seersucker be appropriate for an outdoor summer wedding?

11. misterbowles

misterbowles Senior member

Not only appropriate, but IMHO, ideal. However, just make sure you ask what the wedding party is wearing at a summer wedding first - a friend of mine got married this past summer in Hunter, NY, and he and the groomsmen all wore seersucker. If I hadn't randomly asked what he would be wearing a week prior, I definitely would have showed up in my seersucker suit and been mistaken for one of them, instead of just being a happily inebriated guest in a nice linen suit...

12. Horace

Horace Senior member

I second that.

And I'm glad to hear that someone's wearing a cotton suit for Spring.
    Where'd you get it? Is it a 100% cotton job? Let it wrinkle.

13. Horace

Horace Senior member

(smartie_addict @ Mar. 18 2005,00:43) so, if a "casual suit" would seersucker be appropriate for an outdoor summer wedding?
    Not only appropriate, but IMHO, ideal. However, just make sure you ask what the wedding party is wearing at a summer wedding first - a friend of mine got married this past summer in Hunter, NY, and he and the groomsmen all wore seersucker. If I hadn't randomly asked what he would be wearing a week prior, I definitely would have showed up in my seersucker suit and been mistaken for one of them, instead of just being a happily inebriated guest in a nice linen suit...
    For some reason at all Spring/Summer weddings, when they 'aven't been formal, I've never been able to bring myself to wear anything but the most tropical of worsteds in navy blue. Too the detriiment of my body temp., no doubt, but still there it is. Always thought anything less was too informal.

14. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

Tan suits are great for spring/summer weddings - especially if they're in the afternoon.

Evening weddings, I agree - break out the blue sut.

Bradford

15. Horace

Horace Senior member

Bradford:

for some reason I'll only wear navy blue suits to weddings if they aren't blacktie. Even during the hell of summer on the Cape, morning or afternoon, this has always been the case. I don't know why. I should be wearing a lighter color but I've always thought that it's not formal enough.