• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Too dressy?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is this pair of AE's too "dressy" for wear with casual trousers (jeans too, likely) in the summer?

ae2

Shoe-nut

Reaction score
I've done it before with my AE's similar to those but I would not call that style casual.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StevenRocks
That shoe is not for jeans in a casual context.

I disagree. I think those would look great with jeans. Not for every day, of course, but certainly on occasion.

aybojs

Reaction score
I have those shoes (well, the Sanfords, which are the same as the Coltons but on a different last) and I have no problem wearing them casually, albeit not as an everyday thing.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've worn similar shoes with jeans (and a sport coat) in the past. As with the others confessing to this, I don't do it often but I do like the look.

mrpologuy

Reaction score
I say go for it. I woulld wear those with jeans. They are great looking shoes by the way!!!

barbatruk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Is this pair of AE's too "dressy" for wear with casual trousers (jeans too, likely) in the summer?

ae2

These shoes can not be dressy as they are casual shoes

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like them. Most people will consider them "dressy." I think you can get away with wearing these with jeans. You could also wear them with a suit, but most wouldn't advise it, as they're bluchers.

STP has them for $190. I think this is a discontinued AE style.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I have the AE Lexington, which is very similar. I would vote against jeans, personally, but I'm not saying it couldn't be done. I would go for odd trousers and sportcoat.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Delray appears to be more appropriate for jeans.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by barbatruk
These shoes can not be dressy as they are casual shoes
yeah, and brown is for farmers or something...

!luc

aybojs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
You could also wear them with a suit, but most wouldn't advise it, as they're bluchers.

Almost nobody outside this forum pays attention to the difference between bluchers and balmorals, or even knows what the terms are.

As I said earlier, the charm of these shoes is their versatility. Anyone who says that they are inherently unwearable either in a dressy sense or in a casual sense (there seems to be both ends of the spectrum in this thread) is wrong.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aybojs
Almost nobody outside this forum pays attention to the difference between bluchers and balmorals, or even knows what the terms are.

As I said earlier, the charm of these shoes is their versatility. Anyone who says that they are inherently unwearable either in a dressy sense or in a casual sense (there seems to be both ends of the spectrum in this thread) is wrong.

Very well put, aybojs. In fact, many on this forum and over at Andy's would say that, while bals are dressier, bluchers are fine with suits.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aybojs

I don't know about what people outside the forum pay attention to, but then again, I don't know if they care much about any clothing details.

Also, I never said the Colton's were inherently unwearable in a dressy or casual sense. They look nice, and I'm watching the price on STP in case they drop, but I think that the charm of these shoes is also, in some ways, the problem. They're neither one thing or the other.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads