Too dressy?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Connemara, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Is this pair of AE's too "dressy" for wear with casual trousers (jeans too, likely) in the summer?

[​IMG]

2. Shoe-nut

Shoe-nut Senior member

I've done it before with my AE's similar to those but I would not call that style casual.

3. StevenRocks

StevenRocks Senior member

That shoe is not for jeans in a casual context.

4. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

That shoe is not for jeans in a casual context.

I disagree. I think those would look great with jeans. Not for every day, of course, but certainly on occasion.

5. aybojs

aybojs Senior member

I have those shoes (well, the Sanfords, which are the same as the Coltons but on a different last) and I have no problem wearing them casually, albeit not as an everyday thing.

6. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

I've worn similar shoes with jeans (and a sport coat) in the past. As with the others confessing to this, I don't do it often but I do like the look.

7. mrpologuy

mrpologuy Senior member

I say go for it. I woulld wear those with jeans. They are great looking shoes by the way!!!

8. barbatruk

barbatruk Member

Is this pair of AE's too "dressy" for wear with casual trousers (jeans too, likely) in the summer?

[​IMG]

These shoes can not be dressy as they are casual shoes

9. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I like them. Most people will consider them "dressy." I think you can get away with wearing these with jeans. You could also wear them with a suit, but most wouldn't advise it, as they're bluchers.

STP has them for $190. I think this is a discontinued AE style.

10. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I have the AE Lexington, which is very similar. I would vote against jeans, personally, but I'm not saying it couldn't be done. I would go for odd trousers and sportcoat.

11. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

The Delray appears to be more appropriate for jeans.

[​IMG]

12. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

These shoes can not be dressy as they are casual shoes
    yeah, and brown is for farmers or something...

!luc

13. aybojs

aybojs Senior member

You could also wear them with a suit, but most wouldn't advise it, as they're bluchers.

Almost nobody outside this forum pays attention to the difference between bluchers and balmorals, or even knows what the terms are.

As I said earlier, the charm of these shoes is their versatility. Anyone who says that they are inherently unwearable either in a dressy sense or in a casual sense (there seems to be both ends of the spectrum in this thread) is wrong.

14. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Almost nobody outside this forum pays attention to the difference between bluchers and balmorals, or even knows what the terms are.

As I said earlier, the charm of these shoes is their versatility. Anyone who says that they are inherently unwearable either in a dressy sense or in a casual sense (there seems to be both ends of the spectrum in this thread) is wrong.

Very well put, aybojs. In fact, many on this forum and over at Andy's would say that, while bals are dressier, bluchers are fine with suits.

15. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I don't know about what people outside the forum pay attention to, but then again, I don't know if they care much about any clothing details.

Also, I never said the Colton's were inherently unwearable in a dressy or casual sense. They look nice, and I'm watching the price on STP in case they drop, but I think that the charm of these shoes is also, in some ways, the problem. They're neither one thing or the other.