1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Too Dressy for Business?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by cmorebusiness, May 16, 2010.

1. southbound35

southbound35 Senior member

personally i would ease my way into it. I'm not sure there's any solid logic behind that though, i just prefer not to make a scene as the new guy.

+1.

As someone earlier in the thread mentioned, it's definitely not a Texas-specific thing (I live in Fort Worth and worked in Dallas for years); it's a specific corporate culture (or even an office-specific culture) thing.

For the first day, I'd wear something very "middle of the road", maybe charcoal pants and a conservatively patterned dress shirt. It's probably dressier than the unpressed chinos and golf shirts you're likely to see on 90% of the guys at your employment level, but not to the point that you're "that new guy wearing the sportcoat". Within a day, you'll have a good idea what the general range of dress is around there. Then you can situate yourself on the uppler end (but not the extreme) and focus on fit, color, pattern, quality, etc..

I worked at an office a few years ago where everyone dressed fairly well (by Dallas standards, dress shirts and dress pants) during the week, but wore jeans on Fridays. Since I had come from a suit and tie job before, I felt (and still do feel) more comfortable wearing chinos on casual Friday. But, I was politely pulled aside one day and told "Everyone wears jeans on Friday (emphasis on everyone).". In my current position (finance for a local branch of a multinational company), I'm one of maybe 3 (of roughly 50 men total) who wears wool dress pants on a regular basis.

In summary, every office is different. Find out what the proper dress code range seems to be, then do you your best to follow it, but utilize quality, color, pattern, and fit to make it your own.

2. intent

intent Senior member

I don't think it's a good idea to openly disobey a dress code, even if it's only a suggested one. You need to pick your battles; this isn't one of them.

You could always just wear a SC and take off your jacket when you get in. You'll still be a well-dressed man if you have fitting shirts and trousers.

3. LynahFaithful

LynahFaithful Senior member

I don't think it's a good idea to openly disobey a dress code, even if it's only a suggested one. You need to pick your battles; this isn't one of them.

You could always just wear a SC and take off your jacket when you get in. You'll still be a well-dressed man if you have fitting shirts and trousers.

+1 but wear good shoes and keep them cleaned and polished. This way you'll get your shoe wardrobe established for your climb up the ladder.

4. LaoHu

LaoHu Senior member

+1

5. ah22

ah22 New Member

i think a suit is acceptable.

6. ZON_JR

ZON_JR Senior member

We on SF (and other like-minded people) represent the last bastion of those who care about the importance of dressing well and the enjoyment that comes with it, not only to ourselves but to others as well. It is our painful task in life to sometimes teach and encourage others to keep it alive. Who doesn't like the sight of a well dressed man or woman?
    You bring up human nature. Let's go one step further and bring up nature entirely.
    Where one assumes the role of the prey, another will assume the role of the predator.
    Dress as a slave and you will be treated like one.
    Dress for success and have an agreeable, approachable personality, and you'll be fine.
    A license is required to drive a car and perhaps a license should be required to wear decent clothing; or learn how to handle the confrontations with some humour and playful assertion.

To be fair, were I to work for a good firm that offers a decent wage and benefits but asks that I take off my tie, I will gladly do so since it is a job worth keeping and a small price to pay.
    Were that the case, I will wear the tie to and from work, but not while at work.
    It may be one way to comprimise and still enjoy the nicer clothes.
    A company (with mature management) worth working for however, is more concerned about performance. How one presents him/herself in at work is part of that performance.

[​IMG]

7. booze_shoes

booze_shoes Member

I'll also say it's not a Texas thing. I work at a small office in Atlanta and the boss wears a suit and most everybody else in the office wears a polo shirt and a suit only on certain occasions (a client visit). Sometimes when I wear a sport coat I still get comments on how "professional" I look. This is also true because I'm younger than everybody else in the office.

8. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

9. ZON_JR

ZON_JR Senior member

The best advice to anyone living in Texas in any situation is to get the hell out...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...tes-us-history

I don't know why everyone is so upset about this. It's being taught in schools--it's not like anyone is actually going to learn it.

10. Sebastian Melmoth

Sebastian Melmoth Well-Known Member

I agree with this suggestion. If you are confident and friendly, you can push the envelope a bit, but, given the dress code, a suit is probably too much.

As for the suggestion that you ease into it, I would actually say that, whatever you decide to go with, do it from day one. People will just think that's how you are. If you start changing how you dress after a couple months, it will stand out more and people will think there is some other reason for it.

11. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

[​IMG]

Hey my first one of these ^ ZON, what does this symbol [​IMG] mean?
    I need someone to explain it to me, it says facepalm but i dont know what facepalm is.
    Tears of joy?

12. fitzer

fitzer Member

I guess I will be the first to say it...

Dress for the job you want, not the job you have.

That being said, don't go overboard. Slacks and a dress shirt give you the appearance of being an assistant. Get a blue blazer and take it off when you get to work if it is out of place, but always have it on coming and going. People will notice - in a good way.

13. Bentley

Bentley Senior member

I'd start out with whatever the culture seems to be in your office for employees at your level. I like the suggestion, though, of wearing a blazer to and from the office but taking it off while there.

14. OttoSkadelig

OttoSkadelig Senior member

Hey my first one of these ^ ZON, what does this symbol [​IMG] mean?
    I need someone to explain it to me, it says facepalm but i dont know what facepalm is.
    Tears of joy?

[​IMG]

15. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

So if the consensus is to be aware of your environment, etc. etc. and ease into the work place, would you say it be better to wear what I have and let them get used to it OR start with the standard wardrobe and then ease my way into it?
    Whatever you like will be fine. Alot of guys wear a suit and tie for the first few days anyways just because they're not sure what to do and no one begrudges them for it. Feel free to experiment with difference stuff at your own pace, you can judge how people look at you and respond to you.