• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Too damn many Steves around here

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, help me change my name. [edit] Yeah, seriously. I did make the thread as a joke, but to be more serious, it's something I've been thinking about for a few years know, with rather little to show for it. Of course, asking anyone, let alone strangers on an internet forum is not terribly useful for this sort of thing, but strangers do have a unique perspective. So I'm curious what, if any, suggestions you may have. My name is Steven. I agree with Elliott Smith's sentiments, "And also, like, there’s no good versions of it, ya know like there’s, Steven … Steven is like sort of too … hard to say, and kind of like, bookish. Steve is like … like jockish, sorta. Big handsome Steve, big shirtless Steve, ya know, like football playin’ blond haired Steve. Ya know? I didn’t like it." I am not a Steven. Never have felt it's my name, and I never have felt any real attachment to it whatsoever. My last name is a hyphenated disaster, a linguistic ball and chain that has caused me no end of problems. I have no real attachment to either side of my family, nor either of my two ethnicities. One friend suggested David, but Judeo-Christian connotations seem particularly unfitting. Another suggested Caiden (Caide is pretty managable as a shortened form), but it sits precariously on a knife's edge of yuppiedom, and it's becoming more common— and nothing is any good if other people like it. I submit as unequivocal proof:
nothing-shirt.gif
evandernothing.jpg
I have a good idea of what I want as a middle name, but feel free to toss up suggestions. Picking a last name has been hell. Culturally, they're family names, and I've got rather little of that and no real connection to it, which makes it quite awkward. I suppose it's the kind of place one would be tempted to shove a literary reference, but I've found none suitable, and not much else has seemed to fit. So, I need a new name. Preferably within one month. Provided by complete strangers. Go!

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What, for real? Admittedly you have/had alot of posts but we don't really know who you are, so that's a tough call.

I have a rather common first name, a somewhat common middle name, and a bloody uncommon last name; yet my name is my own because I make it for myself. Isn't any name really like that? Unless you want to be Stormei or something...

~ Huntsman

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
What, for real? Admittedly you have/had alot of posts but we don't really know who you are, so that's a tough call.
Ansered above.

Lamo

Reaction score
i'd pay you if you'd change your name to hortense or cornelius.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A,

when I was in my early twenties I changed my name to something that was pretty cool at the time. it was a very ethnic name (not my ethnicity), with a great sound to it. I used it for 15 years, and then when my son was born my wife asked me to change my name back to the origional. think before changing.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about it for four or five years, now— and with depressingly sparse results.

StevenRocks

Reaction score
Arethusa, don't change your name. Steven is a great name. I'm a Steven (though most call me Steve) and even though it's pretty common, it seems to work pretty well for a variety of people.

Earthmover

Reaction score
Eddie "the snake" Stevens.

Problem solved!

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Earthmover
Eddie "the snake" Stevens.

Problem solved!

Yeah, whatever you choose, get yourself a cool nickname in quotes in the middle.

Also, avoid middle names, as all serial killers have a middle name.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads