• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tony Stark suit from Iron Man 2

Guy-Montag

Reaction score
If you've seen Iron Man 2, you'll notice that the protagonist, Tony Stark (Iron Man) is fond of nice suits. One of them in particular seemed odd - it looks like a double-breasted suit, but it doesn't have any buttons on the front. It can be seen where he's giving a speech for the Stark expo opening at the beginning of the movie. Are there any suits that fasten like a double-breasted suit, but without buttons others can see? You can see it on the trailer at 0:59 -

CutandSew

Reaction score
Tom Ford did that one time during his Gucci days. Not sure about this more recent incarnation on Tony Stark though....

youngScholar

Reaction score
I thought that suit without the buttons looked a bit odd.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought it looked cool. Personally, I hate double-breasted jackets because the two columns of buttons ruin what is to me the perfect symmetry of a SB jacket, stemming from the central vertical line created by the buttons and taken up by the shirt placket in the space between the lapels. So a "buttonless" DB suit is a neat workaround.

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The suits weren't great IMO, all the trousers puddled terribly.

That aside, Tony Stark rocks.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoldenTribe
Personally, I hate double-breasted jackets because the two columns of buttons ruin what is to me the perfect symmetry of a SB jacket, stemming from the central vertical line created by the buttons and taken up by the shirt placket in the space between the lapels.

Thank you for bringing up shirt plackets.

- B

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by youngScholar
I thought that suit without the buttons looked a bit odd.

Agreed- while it had nothing to do with nothing, really- it wasn't a great fit. Loved the movie.

Guy-Montag

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CutandSew
Tom Ford did that one time during his Gucci days. Not sure about this more recent incarnation on Tony Stark though....

How did the Tom Ford jacket fasten? Snaps?

CutandSew

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Guy-Montag
How did the Tom Ford jacket fasten? Snaps?

I wish I knew. I saw them over 10 years ago in some magazines and he wore them to some events as well. I always thought it was some hidden button flap, or snaps.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought it looked cool. Personally, I hate double-breasted jackets because the two columns of buttons ruin what is to me the perfect symmetry of a SB jacket, stemming from the central vertical line created by the buttons and taken up by the shirt placket in the space between the lapels. So a "buttonless" DB suit is a neat workaround.
You don't get breast pockets put on your SB jackets, I see?

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
I originally started writing a subordinate clause about breast pockets and lapels (one has to go over the other, after all) specifically as a disclaimer against this kind of pedantry, but I decided it wasn't worth a borderline run-on sentence just to appease anyone who would actually take the time to point out something like that when my meaning was fairly clear.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
A placketless shirt would have taken that buttonless jacket to the next level. Stark's wardrobe consultant should be fired.

Made in California

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria

- B

Seconded!

laphroaig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos

Perfectly balanced out by a suitably sized ticket pocket.

I have now also started wearing a matching pocket square in my ticket pocket for that super symmetry look.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I originally started writing a subordinate clause about breast pockets and lapels (one has to go over the other, after all) specifically as a disclaimer against this kind of pedantry, but I decided it wasn't worth a borderline run-on sentence just to appease anyone who would actually take the time to point out something like that when my meaning was fairly clear.
When folk like you stop making ridiculous sweeping 'justifications' chock full of logical holes in an attempt to give a veneer of credibility to your subjective likes/dislikes, then we pedants will retire to our own devices.

Till then, I look forward to many, many happy returns.
cheers.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads