• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tonsillitis OUCH

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey fellas,

I'm not the type to complain, but holy crap this sucks. I've been sick for about a week now. What started out as a cold has turned into a really nasty tonsillitis. For the past three days my tonsils have hurt so bad, I don't know what to do. I've taken extra strength excedrin to try to alleviate he pain but it doesn't really work. I'm sitting here on the floor over my warm mist humidifier. It's the only respite I can get.

I've tried throat coat, ice cream, lozenges, yogurt, wamr water + salt gargle and bland soup. Soup seems to give the best break, but it doesn't last.

Anyone have suggestions? I've never had tonsillitis before and thought usually only kids get it.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I used to get it every month or so in Beijing. Carry around a big water bottle. Keep it filled with hot water and lemon juice. Drink the whole thing 6+ times a day. For reals.

herzzreh

Reaction score
Used to have this **** all the time... until I had them yanked when I was 5.

thecentennial

Reaction score
Antibiotics are VERY effective against tonsilitis, will clear up in 2-3 days. Go to the Dr.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigt
Antibiotics are VERY effective against tonsilitis, will clear up in 2-3 days. Go to the Dr.

From what I've read on the internet, it's not true... and would only apply if it is a bacterial infection, which it most likely isn't since I had a cold before.

thecentennial

Reaction score
Go to the Dr. He will let you know if it's viral or bacterial tonsilitis. If bacterial, antibiotics. If viral, man up ;-)

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigt
Go to the Dr. He will let you know if it's viral or bacterial tonsilitis. If bacterial, antibiotics. If viral, man up ;-)
Thanks for nothing captain obvious. The throat coat tea works well. It's pretty much lemon tea with honey. Thanks for the advice Eason. Like I said, pain normally doesn't bother me, but holy **** does this hurt. Got about 3 hours of sleep, even after taking maximum doses of pain killers.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're certain it isn't Mono? Same symptoms.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
You're certain it isn't Mono? Same symptoms.

Gosh I hope not. But I don't think so... as I have no fever or body aches.

thecentennial

Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
Thanks for nothing captain obvious.

The throat coat tea works well. It's pretty much lemon tea with honey. Thanks for the advice Eason. Like I said, pain normally doesn't bother me, but holy **** does this hurt. Got about 3 hours of sleep, even after taking maximum doses of pain killers.

Glad I could help, but seriously, without a diagnosis you won't be able to identify a targeted course of action.

The Captain.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would gargle with Listerine regularly, and apply Brave Solder Healing Ointment to them with a q-tip. The site and package say nothing about it, but this product actually numbs the area, so you have some relief that way. Tonsillitis aside, it's a great product. I use it for cuts and bug bites too. You have to order it online though. It's also on Amazon. Honestly if you cant wait for shipping I would seriously just get orajel and apply that before you eat and before sleep until it blows over. As long as you can numb it for those times, it wont be too bad. https://www.bravesoldier.com/antisep...g-ointment.php I'd never have my tonsils removed. I would make fun of other kids in school who had that done, so I would lose face.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
I would gargle with Listerine regularly, and apply Brave Solder Healing Ointment to them with a q-tip. The site and package say nothing about it, but this product actually numbs the area, so you have some relief that way.

Tonsillitis aside, it's a great product. I use it for cuts and bug bites too. You have to order it online though. It's also on Amazon.

Honestly if you cant wait for shipping I would seriously just get orajel and apply that before you eat and before sleep until it blows over. As long as you can numb it for those times, it wont be too bad.

https://www.bravesoldier.com/antisep...g-ointment.php

I'd never have my tonsils removed. I would make fun of other kids in school who had that done, so I would lose face.

Great advice... I just tried putting chloraseptic on with a q-tip and it really alleviates the pain. Thanks a lot Reggs.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also just switched from Excedrin to 600mg of Ibuprofen. That made a huge difference, thankfully.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
might be strep. go see a dr.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads