Tommy Nutter...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dstarz, Mar 30, 2012.

1. dstarz

dstarz Member

Recently had the wonderful good luck to (FINALLY!) find a bespoke Tommy Nutter in my size (44L) on ebay from England. It is a grey three-piece, with high lapels on the vest, and very wide pants. I understand this affectation is from the Brits liking their pants to flow a bit when ascending stairs! The suit required a bit of nip and tuck, but, after my tailor finished it off, I wore it and was stopped no less than SIX times to ask where I had bought it, etc.! It is dated 1991, so it's certainly among the last suits Tommy actually had his hands on. A wonderful addition to my closet to be sure!

In reading about Tommy and Nutter's, it is apparent that Edward Sexton played a HUGE role in the Savile Row shop of the 60's/70's. Sexton is the tailor, but does anyone know how much tailoring Tommy actually DID? I know he was the designer, but not the cutter, correct?

Also, a heads-up to anyone who cares: I am reading Richard Anderson's wonderful book on Savile Row, his memoir entitled "Bespoke: Savile Row Ripped and Smoothed". It is a lot of fun, with some very good insider stories about said Row!

Recently I have also rekindled my passion for Italian clothing, (mostly after the great GQ article about Brunello Cucinelli), and have just received my first Massimo Bizzocchi shirt and tie, and expecting my very first Kiton suit from an ebay purchase any minute now! WHAT did we do without ebay? Will keep you posted!!!!

2. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

I had seen a Tom Nutter designed piece in C&M, it is so nicely done that makes Tom Ford in shame

To be honest with you, his extreme style is better than the slim lapels in my eyes.

p.s await for you fit pic

3. dstarz

dstarz Member

Coming soon!!!

4. GBR

GBR Senior member

Whilst pictures would be interesting I am not too sure of the attraction of such an out dated style of garment. Presumably you do not expect to wear it in public in this format?

Nutter/Sexton were of their time, however good the workmanship may or may not have been they are not of these times. Some elderly classicly styled suits can have extended lives but fashion forward garments are regrettably short lived.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012

5. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

I agree that fashion forward is short lived. So much so that I'm thinking you might actually be a little 'behind' the curve. I'm thinking that Nutter and the whole wide legged, wide lapeled 70's vibe may, just maybe, be the next big trend. Since men's clothing has gone as far as it can possible go towards the slim there is only one possible direction it can from here, no?

6. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Senior member

+1 Would love to see the Nutter suit.

I'm not sure I would characterize Nutter's work as being of a particular time. He designed suits in the '60s (ie Lennon on the Abbey Road Cover), '70s (Jagger for his wedding, Twiggy's travel tweeds), '80s (Nicholson in Batman), and apparently even into the '90s. All of these eras stylistically were quite different. I'm not sure his style was "of" any of those eras really. He had a great style that was certainly unique.

Anyway, to call his work "outdated" might not be the worst thing when referring to the '80s or '90s.

7. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

I love Nutter's style, just not the ultra wide trouser but the iconic jacketing :)

8. Testudo_Aubreii

Testudo_Aubreii Senior member

You may be right. That was what happened in the '70s. The '60s took lean, clean, and low shoulders as far as it could go. The '70s then raised the shoulder, widened the lapels, flared the coat skirts, and flared the pants below the knee. A good analysis of the 1970s sillhouette here.

Of course, another way to go would be 1980s drape/droop.

I wonder if we'll see a shift in fabric and pattern choices comparable to that from the 60s and 70s. The 60s focused on smooth, heavy, and solid: the 70s on textured, heavy, and patterned. Today, it seems like the focus is smooth, lightweight, and pretty accepting of pattern.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012

9. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Who knows? I do hope we see a return of FU plaids, tweeds, and windowpanes.

10. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

MBreinin is missed.

11. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

I'd like to see a pic. I like his style. I wore a wide lapel loud glen plaid jacket tonight :slayer:.

12. GBR

GBR Senior member

Maybe, there is rarely anything 'new' in fashion, merely something revived. One day Nutter/Sexton fashion nay suffer this but not yet. Anyone can store all manner of garments from any period on the basis that they might come back but buying them in hope and with no foundation is potentially a waste. Wearing such garments in the meantime not really viable

13. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]

14. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

^^ Egads, did you wear that monstrosity in public?
    What a perfect candidate for "What you think you look like vs. what you really look like"

15. SpooPoker

Thats not me, thats your competitor in the MBreinin vs. Reevolving fit battle....