Tom Wolfe's new book will cover clothes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by chorse123, May 12, 2005.

1. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

2. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Senior member

With the reference to "post-homeless" clothing, perhaps this thread should be moved to Streetwear? [​IMG]

3. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

Funny that he says he "used to own quite a lot of white suits" but he apparently doesn't consider 24 to be quite a lot.

4. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

....a return to his roots.

I loved his late 60s stuff, esp, the essay called Honks and Wonks [approximately] that noted strange contrast between peacocky but poor black people in New Haven just across town from rich Yalies who were dressing like Okies.

He was a big influence on me in high school in the 80s, when I was first trying to observe and think and write about men's clothing.

In the 60s Wolfe was investigating something; now, 40 years on, his ideas are more fixed.

Will be interesting to see the mix of investigation and pronunciamento.

5. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

"Honks and Wonks" is about accents. The article you're thinking of is called "Funky Chic."

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

First off, Manton is correct, as usual. Second, investigative journalism that leads to the obvious conclusion is pretty useless. Journalism is not science, where arriving at an obvious conclusion may be not trivial.

Rich, privileged, sheltered people want to be regarded as also hard and street savvy. I-bankers dress how they perceive "hipsters" to dress because they want to be perceived as part of (or at least having an association with) that class, but don't want to or are not able to give up the luxuries they've grown accustomed to. Now, can I write a book on the topic as well? Oh no, wait. I'm not as much of a blowhard, and have said all I need to say about the topic. Too bad. I could have used the money.

7. Horace

Horace Senior member

(mack11211 @ May 12 2005,08:37) ....a return to his roots. I loved his late 60s stuff, esp, the essay called Honks and Wonks [approximately] that noted strange contrast between peacocky but poor black people in New Haven just across town from rich Yalies who were dressing like Okies. He was a big influence on me in high school in the 80s, when I was first trying to observe and think and write about men's clothing. In the 60s Wolfe was investigating something; now, 40 years on, his ideas are more fixed. Will be interesting to see the mix of investigation and pronunciamento.
    First off, Manton is correct, as usual. Â Second, investigative journalism that leads to the obvious conclusion is pretty useless. Â Journalism is not science, where arriving at an obvious conclusion may be not trivial. Â Rich, privileged, sheltered people want to be regarded as also hard and street savvy. Â I-bankers dress how they perceive "hipsters" to dress because they want to be perceived as part of (or at least having an association with) that class, but don't want to or are not able to give up the luxuries they've grown accustomed to. Â Now, can I write a book on the topic as well? Â Oh no, wait. Â I'm not as much of a blowhard, and have said all I need to say about the topic. Â Too bad. Â I could have used the money.
    Brilliant.

8. Walter

Walter Senior member

Unfortunately his next book will probably be released in 2015

9. Horace

Horace Senior member

One other thing: I think it's difficult to consider Wolfe well-dressed. He's too much a spectacle and a fop. I think the work on his clothing screams expensive in a way that someone with taste wouldn't allow.