• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tom looks pretty good

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by montecristo#4
This has nothing to do with me, although if I were in that picture I's show up about the same size as Will Smith.

My point is that it's a bit lame that an actor like Cruise can be a mega-celebrity and still have zero physical presence. What is he, like 5'5"? What ever happened to guys like John Wayne, Marlon Brando, Gary Cooper, Gregory Peck, Cary Grant etc., who had commanding physical presence on screen?

Something that would help would be if date ( i assume the women to his left) wore something other than high heals, so as not to be much taller than him, and with that said; open toed shoes, of what ever model, do not fair well with the dress.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by montecristo#4

My point is that it's a bit lame that an actor like Cruise can be a mega-celebrity and still have zero physical presence. What is he, like 5'5"? What ever happened to guys like John Wayne, Marlon Brando, Gary Cooper, Gregory Peck, Cary Grant etc., who had commanding physical presence on screen?

But then there were icons like James Cagney, Humphrey Bogart, Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly, Edward G Robinson, etc....all shorties. I remember seeing Sylvester Stallone, right after Rocky; maybe 5'8", 160 lbs.
plain.gif

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you really need to be a towering figure to have presence?

Al Pacino is quite small and he has got presence..
I do not think that presence can be measured in inches or even centimeters...

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paul Newman is about five foot seven. Clearly visible, onscreen.
Do you really need to be a towering figure to have presence?No. But there's no escaping the fact that clothes look and hang better on those who are tall and rather slender.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Presence and prestance are two different things....

It is true that taller people will have more chance of being considered by their peers as having a presence and elegance than their smaller countreparts but the world is not ruled by fixed axioms......

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tom Cruise used to be a very good actor.

Just watch Born on the Fourth of July or Rain Man.

sysdoc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Do you really need to be a towering figure to have presence? Al Pacino is quite small and he has got presence.. I do not think that presence can be measured in inches or even centimeters...
Think of Sarkozy besides Cruise. Can't help it, but my money would be on Sarkozy as far as physical presence goes and they are both shorties. Physical presence has a lot to do with posture and charisma. I do not think that Cruise has either. And please don't say that Cruise has a well shaped body. He has extremely droopy shoulders. Imagine Brad Pitt as Achilles and Cruise in his most beefed up condition. It's not even fair. Besides, I liked Analyze this. Had quite a few great laughs. Now go hit the pillow!
tounge.gif

raphael

Reaction score
Originally Posted by satorstyle
http://http://omg.yahoo.com/week-in-photos:-july-22-29/photos/399;_ylt=Algmy3q8yxR0ZfMQWWi5y.ywpxx.#id=0

T Cruise is looking pretty dapper IMO, not so much Beckham, and Will Smith is not even worth discussing.

No, those pants are horrible. Did he get them OTR? They need to be slimmer.

As usual, Beckham's handlers have dressed him for ridicule.

Will Smith - white sneakers with a shiny, ill-fitting suit? Sheesh.

This group picture proves money can't buy taste.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the world is not ruled by fixed axioms......
That's good news. Picture a runway show, in which the models are all short. Say, the size of Al Pacino. Or, of Elizabeth Taylor. We could get used to it but as to whether the clothes would be shown to best advantage, the answer is 'no.'

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ivan Kipling;621296 said:
the world is not ruled by fixed axioms......
True one could say it is ruled by gaussian curves.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We're subject to cultural imagery and also a certain diktat from the fashion industry.....

In the fifties ,your tall and lanky models would have been perceived as ugly and awkward...Look at the models from bygone years with strong chest and thin waist...The first one to break the mould was Twiggy transforming fashion for ever...

The same point you are putting across today would have most likely being defended by the fifties fashionistas to the effect we know...
Women were seen seen definitively feminine and the Addict chic promoted by Kate Moss and others would been seen as freaks of nature by fifties standards..

Fashion is constantly evolving and polymorph but you do have a point when you do underline the current trend in fashion...

We have had Sophie Dhl who briefly brang some flesh on the catwalk before becoming anorexic to responfd to the fashion beauty cannon...
Models are the perfect walking hangers...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads