• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo, a sustainable leather goods company based out of Vancouver, BC, Canada, making premium, made-to-order, water-repellent leather jackets and gloves. .Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Tom james

WDNYC

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm wondering what everyone here thinks of Tom James suits? I needed a new suit, and as I'm relatively difficult to fit (broad shoulder to shoulder, thin back to chest, thin waist, etc) I wanted to go the custom route as opposed to another Brooks brothers suit with major alterations. I just received the suit and it fits me very well. Problem is I know nothing about clothing, which is why I'm asking about Tom James. Is it a respectable company? Did I get a good deal (around $1200)? If I'm getting a suit of J. Press or Brooks Brothers quality I don't mind paying more for the better fit, but can I find better quality for the price elsewhere? Thanks for any info - as I said I'm completely new to suit shopping and any advice would be appreciated.

banksmiranda

Reaction score
The quality of your experience could vary based on the salesperson serving you. Tom James' highest-end Ventura suits are made by Oxxford, and cost a pretty penny. Their lower-end suits are said to be pretty mediocre. Both Tom James and Oxxford are part of the same company, the Individualized Apparel group. http://www.individualizedapparel.com

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it depends on what you get. Check out this link to TJ's website where the various lines of Tom James are described. http://www.tomjames.com/custsuits/features.asp Many different lines.. You can click on each to get a detailed description. About a year ago, I bought two pairs of wool slacks, two shirts and two blazers from the TJ rep. who was plying my company's hallways. Slacks -- very expensive, but beautiful, silky fabrics. As good as Oxxford. Well constructed on interior as well, but not as well as Oxxford. One was about $200; the other about $275. Jackets - I got one RTW that has nice fabric but is nothing special in construction. I get tons of compliments on it though. The other was entirely custom and is beautiful. One of my favorites. Shirts - Basically, individualized shirt company shirts. TTX label, etc. Very nice fabrics though and good machine-made construction. But, you can do better. Overall, I would do TJ again if they were cheaper. The slacks, in particular, are superb. RTW is not worth it, IMO. Actually, since I discovered EBay and have found when the motherloads come in at my local Filene's (clothes from Bergdorf's and Barney's at about 90% off), I haven't further considered Tom James. The catch with TJ is convenience -- they come to your office or home. But you pay for it. They do have nice fabrics for the making, and you can certainly do worse. For about $800-1000 more though, you can get a custom tailor to make you a fully custom suit....

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Styleforum x S.E.H Kelly Balmacaan: Choose the Fabric

• standard 5 — light and dark brown

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • standard 7 — dark brown and charcoal

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • wide 1 — charcoal and blue-grey

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • wide 3 — barley and brown

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • wide 5 — charcoal and dark navy