• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tom Ford

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
May I suggest that you guys also keep in mind the fact that many of the style features on a Ford are knocks of the Tommy Nutter-Edward Sexton styles of the 1970s. Edward Sexton says as much about the Ford look. The narrow-high waisted cut with high-concave shoulders and wide bellied lapels are all give the game away.

You can go directly to the original source of the style - Edward Sexton himself:

http://www.edwardsexton.co.uk/

Also Sexton pupils such as Davide Taub, head cutter at Maurice Sedwell, continue the tradition of this style:

http://davidetaub.blogspot.com/

In many cases, your local tailors may have considerable difficulty in making this type of high-concave shoulders, which are notoriously hard to get right.

Last edited:

Quarks

Reaction score
If you like Tom Ford's styling, it is the way to go. Hands down.
I remembered trying TF suit for the first time. It felt almost weightless on my shoulder, the way it moulds & transforms your body into a V-shaped silhouette, armed with broad athletic shoulders, high but comfortable arm-holes, wide-but-not-over-the-top peaked lapels. From the side, the way it drapes over the arch of your upper back to your curvature of your spine and peaks ever so slightly, wrapping itself around the rounded curvature of the gluteus. It not only looks impressive, but felt like it. And very much so. To the point that it is hard to wrap your head around it that it is ready-to-wear.

Having tried many suits around & being extremely picky at almost every detail, I must say I was floored by how it fits so damn well. The barchetta breast pockets, working surgeon's cuffs are some of the features that appealed to me.
Having tried it on once, it makes it so difficult to walk away from such a beautiful construction, a work of art. How can that be? RTW? It has somewhat turned into an obsession to own one. And once owned one, you want another, in another colour, another type of fabric, another cut, perhaps even a 3-piece. And from there, you yearn for even a double-breasted.

Bespoke yes. I guess my above description can accurately illustrate the experience of a bespoke suit. You can painstakingly choose how you want your suit to look like. Very personalised, but yet, the end product could still be how the tailor thinks you look best in his eyes.
It is still not a TF suit.

Price. TF is a luxury line. Luxury products are overinflated. Century 21 price - good on ya. Full price? If you can afford and dont give a flying f_ck. Go for it. TF apparently claims that it is catered to a specific group of clients but yet present itself with a mass appeal. (Sounds familar?) One may not fit snuggly into a TF suit but still secretly yearn to own something Tom Ford. A tie maybe? Or one of his Private Blends.

Yes, I highly recommend TF. If price is of no object, go for it.
I know I would, all over again.

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I didn't mention Rubinacci as a substitute for Tom Ford's style, but rather a superior replacement. TF suits are heavily padded, have extra wide peak lapels, large pocket flaps and 5 buttons on the sleeves, definitely not something timeless. I think spending 7K on something that will go in and out of style is a complete waste of money. If you could get something of much better quality and fit from a bespoke tailor at a lower cost, I don't see any point of paying full retail for TF. If however you are finding TF at C21 at a great price, that is a completely different discussion altogether, but the OP appears to be going to the boutique on madison and not the department store. As for bespoke tailor's being a "copyist", you can get a TF look from rubinacci since their house style peak lapels are wide and bellied, but you will not get the padded shoulders.
CASE IN POINT

im sorry where are you getting padded shoulders from? i own 2 of his suits (base A) and a sport coat (base B) and neither have "heavily padded" shoulders

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

im sorry where are you getting padded shoulders from? i own 2 of his suits (base A) and a sport coat (base B) and neither have "heavily padded" shoulders

Actually, I've noticed the shoulder do stick out a bit; but that's a roping, not padding issue, correct?

And Base B is crazy fitted.

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can't you just go Zegna couture? They manufacture the suits to Tom Ford's specs, so you should have some leeway.

Btw about where TF suits are manufactured, i was in there last wed and ordered a MTO suit and i asked how come some were made in Switzerland and others in Italy, apparently they use zegna's factory which is on the border of both of those countries and this applies to their shirts as well which ever side of the border its made thats where the tag is gonna say its from, so im pretty sure its not the same place where zegna couture is made because i think those are made in Naples?

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

May I suggest that you guys also keep in mind the fact that many of the style features on a Ford are knocks of the Tommy Nutter-Edward Sexton styles of the 1970s. Edward Sexton says as much about the Ford look. The narrow-high waisted cut with high-concave shoulders and wide bellied lapels are all give the game away.
You can go directly to the original source of the style - Edward Sexton himself:

This is like telling someone who is shopping for an iPhone that they should really buy an IBM phone because they came up with the smartphone 15 years before Apple did.

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Actually, I've noticed the shoulder do stick out a bit; but that's a roping, not padding issue, correct?
And Base B is crazy fitted.

Sorry i was mistaken, i have two base A, 1 base C, and one base D. Im not sure is base B is the crazy fitted one, but my Base A and D are more fitted than my Base C. I wear a 48r jacket and the TF guy says i have a 30 inch waist but i still need to have the jacket waist taken in on a 48r so there is a bit of leeway there.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thanks! So that means they are not made in the same factory as Zegna couture right? Cuz the place TF is made started with and L i think,

They are made in the same factory as the Couture line, which is in Padova.

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just to show the OP that with bespoke you could get FU lapels should you choose to, not that I endorse the idea, but almost anythings possible with bespoke

Lol have you ever gotten bespoke? To convince a tailor to give you TF details is going to be such a damn headache. And execution will 99% be wrong.

Slickman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lol have you ever gotten bespoke? To convince a tailor to give you TF details is going to be such a damn headache. And execution will 99% be wrong.

Yes I have actually, I'm not saying you have to convince them to do anything, I'm just saying its possible. Personally I'm trying to sway the OP to go with something more classic, but if he wants TF, he wants TF.

Let me rephrase, his suits are not soft tailored

Last edited:

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry i was mistaken, i have two base A, 1 base C, and one base D. Im not sure is base B is the crazy fitted one, but my Base A and D are more fitted than my Base C. I wear a 48r jacket and the TF guy says i have a 30 inch waist but i still need to have the jacket waist taken in on a 48r so there is a bit of leeway there.

Here are the measurements from a 38R Base B that pocketcircle had for sale a while ago.

The chest measures closer to a 36R, and the leg opening is pretty narrow.

Jacket
Chest: 19 inches
Shoulder: 17.5 inches
Waist: 17.5 inches
Sleeve length: 25 inches
Jacket length: 30.5 inches

Trousers (unhmmed)
Waist: 16 inches
Front rise: 10 iinches
Inseam: 37.5 inches
Leg opening: 7.8 inches

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads