Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Tom Ford

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by southjersey, Aug 27, 2011.

1. southjersey

southjersey Member

I started a post about having to go to a wedding and asked for some thoughts on what I should wear..I've decided to go to Tom Ford to have the suit made unless anyone has a better suggestion...I thought Daniel Craig's suit were very nice in the last Bond movie and we are built along the same lines although I'm not as muscular as him so I thought I could have a suit with the same cut I am going to post the process from start to finish on the styleforum my plan is to be the best dressed person at the wedding any input into what style the suit should be? Also what is the most beautiful combination for the color of the suit and the shirt/tie combination..thanks for any and all ideas.

2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

If you like aggressive styling, go with Tom Ford.

For colors, black and white.

3. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

If I get this right, you are going to a wedding? If it were your own wedding, splash the cash as seen fit and necessary. Someone elses wedding, I see little point in spending astronomical amounts on some MTM thang from a high end brand.

Anyway, dont want to be a dick by detracting away from your desire to rock that joint, so will echo Spoo's sentiment - TF's aggressive styling would certainly contribute to you being the most contemporary styled person at the wedding. Alternative to TF would be Dior for me - Dior having the advantage of being half as expensive as Tom Ford, but no less stylish.

But any good fitting suit with a good pair of shoes would make you stand out amongst the crowd. If you are built like Daniel Craig, and are blessed with good looks, just a small nubbin of sartorial sense would make you go a long way.

4. southjersey

southjersey Member

Thanks for your reply...I will look into Dior as well.

5. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Senior member

Can't you just go Zegna couture? They manufacture the suits to Tom Ford's specs, so you should have some leeway.

6. cioni2k

cioni2k Senior member

Don't neglect a nice pair of shoes. A $4000-5000 MTM Tom Ford suit will look terrible with a $100 pair of shoes.

7. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I would also look into a MTM Isaia for comparison. Neiman Marcus can help you with both.

8. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

Although slightly ridiculous for another person's wedding, this could be awesome. Tom Ford is really the only "fashion" brand that I like, let alone think is awesome. I'd be a little careful of his newest collection since his lapels and shoulders went a little crazy. But if you keep the shoulders in check and the lapels round, peaked, but not ridiculous, it will be awesome. :slayer:

In fact, my avatar is a Tom Ford suit.

9. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

Pretty sure that even though they make his suits the pattern belongs to tom ford. Plus when paying for a Zegna couture it will end up around the same give or take.

10. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

This. Zegna couture is not going to give you batwing peaks.

11. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Senior member

Thanks guys. I have no experience with any type of Zegna as they all are enormously big for me in the shoulders.

12. nyarkies

nyarkies Senior member

I'm not familiar with Zegna's fit as well but wouldn't Tom Ford be bigger (or wider) on the shoulders given how it is styled?

13. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

Not really. Compared to the zegna that i have my tom ford suits fall closer on your natural shoulder line and have alot less padding that regular zegna despite the look it gives off, they are actually really soft in the shoulder. If this is gonna be an all round suit then i would suggest going with steed or another bespoke tailor. But imo if you have the money you really should have at least one piece from tom ford. Like i said in a different thread i used to use Brioni/Kiton/attolini/steed/NSM but now when i am required to wear a suit i tend to reach for a hand me down tom ford suit that my friend gave me more often than not, in fact i think ive worn that thing into the ground but i still use it even though i have bespoke suits thats ive used like 2 times lol.

14. miran

miran Senior member

I'm a suit size US 46 (Euro 56)....I live in Canada....Does Tom Ford carry anything larger than Euro 52? I can't seem to find it...or is the online selection for Tom Ford suits and coats limited?

15. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

They definitely have larger.