• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tom Ford Suits, are they worth 5Gs?

ALFAMALE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pardon me if this appears obvious to some or if a similar TF topic has been covered, but I'm curious to hear more opinions. Ive heard that Tom Ford acquires all the fabrics for his suits from the Zegna mills. So if I found a tailor that uses Zegna fabric, and could make a similar suit for a grand. Apart from it having a Tom Ford label to impress, would the suit be practically the same thing? I mean other than the label, is there anything different?
nest.gif

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A good tailor is virtually always going to be preferable to ready-to-wear.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why buy one when you can have two at twice the price?

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You won't find a tailor who can make something similar for a grand.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat

Please provide evidence to back up this statement

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd
You won't find a tailor who can make something similar for a grand.

Jeff, that was a GREAT blogpost. Could you care to elaborate on the comment though, especially now that it would appear through your autopsy, that one CAN do a TF cut.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks Rob. Anyone who can even approach that level of expertise, construction and finishing will be charging a LOT more than a grand.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Originally Posted by Manton
Edwin: made me some suits years ago that I don't really like any more.
And Edwin is a good tailor.

Steven H-sewing is really second rate
And Steven H is a good tailor

The MA&SEBTâ„¢ makes pleats that are too shallow
And MA&SEBTâ„¢ is a good tailor.

I brought the jacket back to A&S yesterday to ask them to fix the sleeves. They denied there was a problem. I suppose I could have flat-out insisted that they take it but they gave me the distinct impression that nothing would be done. Hell, they might even have refused to take it for all I know.
So I took it back with me, hacked off at having been give the old-school SR brush-off.

And A&S is a good tailor

Nicoloso makes, by consensus, the most hand-sewn suit in New York. I agree. Yet in my case, the damned thing just doesn't fit. I would have given it away, but it wouldn't fit anyone; trust me on this. If anyone wants an explanation, I will provide it.
And Nicolosi is a good tailor

Originally Posted by tteplitzmd
My Nicolosi suit is similarly unwearable. .

Originally Posted by tteplitzmd
The crowning blow is not even being asked by the tailor if you like the suit. He doesnt care whether you do or not. He did however try to shake me down for NY sales tax despite the goods being shipped out of state. I did decline that challenge. A miserable man, in decline, better suited to be a pensioner. Caveat emptor. You will be another notch on his learning curve which flat lined years ago.

Originally Posted by Panzeraxe II
A old college buddy of mine, however, also used Raphael for a suit and the thing looks very average - I have no idea what happened.
And Raphael is a good tailor.

Originally Posted by Zegnamtl
with the little Bespoke I have tried, left a sour taste truth be told....
Mark S posted about a man he knows who gets three out of four bespoke perfect, the fourth being a dud, he accepts this ratio. It drives the cost WAY up and places it above the highest end RTW.

Originally Posted by edmorel
Bland styling, not getting the final product to look like what you like are obvious and understood risks of bespoke.

Originally Posted by iammatt
I think that you would be shocked at how much ill fitting bespoke there really is out there.

Originally Posted by lakewolf
So those 2 bespoke suits have the chest measurement right but I don't like them, they don't look right on me. my RTW suits fit me much better OTR.
Even once I took 2 suits in EUR 50 to a tailor that does bespoke to make a full fitting. the results are not wearable...

Anyway, every tailor has a disgruntled client here or there, and every tailor produces kills. Yes, there is a risk with bespoke: you can't try on the garment before you buy it.

Yes, there is a risk with bespoke: you can't try on the garment before you buy it.

BUT

But when it works, there is nothing like it.

Originally Posted by Panzeraxe II
But when bespoke is done right, and often it is, it is immeasurably better than anything you can get RTW/MTM.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ALFAMALE
Ive heard that Tom Ford acquires all the fabrics for his suits from the Zegna mills. So if I found a tailor that uses Zegna fabric,

Hopefully the tailors can comment on this.

How much of the higher quality latest Zegna cloth is sold to third parties? The local shops that stock Zegna books tend to have the common stuff. I'm not sure if I've seen any Trofeo,Hertige or the really light stuff 13mm?

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ I dont think sourcing Zegna fabric is an issue. All the books you mention are available in India and I assume would be elsewhere as well. Select the cloth and a cut length is shipped from Italy.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
^^ I dont think sourcing Zegna fabric is an issue. All the books you mention are available in India and I assume would be elsewhere as well. Select the cloth and a cut length is shipped from Italy.

Is the latest stuff available? I get the impression some of the latest stuff isn't exactly made in volume.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del

I can't say for certain, but one would think that the cloth would be developed exclusively for the line. I CAN say that I haven't seen the cloth used in his suits in any of their books, but that doesn't mean they are not available.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was not commenting about the cloth used in TF's suits in particular but rather the Zegna books Trofeo, Heritage and 13 mm etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads