• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tom Ford shoes, what's the story?

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even their style is great, I honestly don't think there leather quality isn't vis a vis John Lobb / Edward Green / Corthay

PLus I don't know how to get a resole from them which is also puts me off

Ivon

Reaction score
It's sale time at Rosen again, had another look at the shoes, still super narrow waist and bulbous toe, offbeat post modern, throw it all against the wall and hope it sticks styling, but at those prices, you'd can get MTO EGs and have money left over for fancy socks on top. Leather isn't as nice as top end Northampton and I'm sure you cannot recraft the shoe with the same sole, but it's your feet and your money if you buy them. They kinda look like Frankenstein Church's or 202 EGs to me. They are wearable in an odd way, but waaay overpriced for what you get.

I ended up buying a Zegna SC at Rosen this sale and was chatting with the SA about the lines they carry now and back in the day when Rosen had an Anglo-American feel to the store. He mentioned that NOBODY buys Armani anymore, Zegna seems to lost some of it's cachet, Isaia suits were really getting attention now and remarked that TF fans were in his opinion, "pushy, narcisstictic assh*oles who treat you like a slave". Brioni buyers he liked, "mature, easy going and ready to buy". Best remark was about Cuchinelli buyers, "tacky, 50 year old wife swappers". Naturally this wasn't in earshot of anybody else, I just knew this guy for a long time and he's usually quite cordial.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of Harry's SAs can be pretty cool; was it one of the 3rd floor guys?

Ivon

Reaction score
Just say he's been around a long time, know his stuff and I believe he's in the President's Club (whatever Rosen calls it) of top sellers. Don't want to get him into any trouble for being bitingly candid. I had to laugh when I heard that, thinking about it, it's damn near the impression of the customers I have for these brands as well. Besides these brands are seriously pricey, not something a 22 year old can afford, unless he's a pro athlete or trust fund baby. I just stick to my plebe brands and leave that stuff for the big fish. The older guys are the best, they have seen everything and if the communication is there, they offer valuable advice, I also used younger SAs, notably women for accessories because they can offer an insight that is different from my usual preferences to see new possibilites.

Now I have images of pushy Type A announcing their arrival and demanding to be seen and served in the boutiques of these douchey brands...

Ivon

Reaction score
othertravel,

I just looked over your B/S stuff, do you work at Rosen? If you do, I'm pretty sure you have a good idea who this may be...

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, I don't work at Rosen, but I do frequent it often.

I've had good and bad experiences at HR. I've heard Tom Ford does extremely well at that location.

Ivon

Reaction score
I tend to pop in at the start of seasons/sale time, occasionally if I need something on the fly. After a while, you more or less have everything and you only need to replace. I see what's different for the current season, but I find myself more dissatied with their goods. I'm sure TF does well there because it has cachet as an "it" brand right now.

Time will tell if the brand still does well when it inevidently moves beyond the luxury retro/70s aesthetic it has now. You have great stuff, too bad I'm not the right size.

Ivon

Reaction score
inevitably*

Damn auto spell feature on my iPhone

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I asked if any of the TF stuff ends up in the outlet, and the answer is no. The outlet guys said they received a TF coat hanger once, but that's pretty much it. Their sell through rate must be 95%+.

Ivon

Reaction score
You might ask the same question on their $7000 Kiton suits, when I bought the Zegna SC, I tried on a Brioni suit on sale, $3100 from $5000, there were only two 52 left, VERY nice suit, a true power suit, but I passed on it. I should ask one day about those unloved Kiton suits and if the price is right....

You are right about almost no TF stuff at sale time, I see the odd dress shirt, collars are a dead giveaway. But if I miss out, it's just like the Leafs, there's always next year. I think I've spent too much time hijacking my own thread, can anyone in the know comment on the price/quality vs EG or Lobb, setting aesthetics aside for a moment?

emc894

Reaction score

I asked if any of the TF stuff ends up in the outlet, and the answer is no. The outlet guys said they received a TF coat hanger once, but that's pretty much it. Their sell through rate must be 95%+.

Supposedly Louis Vitton burns some unsold merch so it won't diminish the brand. If they are doing it, its likely TF is as well.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You might ask the same question on their $7000 Kiton suits, when I bought the Zegna SC, I tried on a Brioni suit on sale, $3100 from $5000, there were only two 52 left, VERY nice suit, a true power suit, but I passed on it. I should ask one day about those unloved Kiton suits and if the price is right....
You are right about almost no TF stuff at sale time, I see the odd dress shirt, collars are a dead giveaway. But if I miss out, it's just like the Leafs, there's always next year. I think I've spent too much time hijacking my own thread, can anyone in the know comment on the price/quality vs EG or Lobb, setting aesthetics aside for a moment?

Alot of the Brioni goes to the outlet. In fact, they're selling their Brioni suits for 50% off the outlet price (comes out to $1150 + tax, which is a great deal for a NWT Brioni).

And going back to the original topic, who makes TF shoes?

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Alot of the Brioni goes to the outlet. In fact, they're selling their Brioni suits for 50% off the outlet price (comes out to $1150 + tax, which is a great deal for a NWT Brioni).

Damn, Im having a memory lapse. It starts with a G....

Last edited:

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Some people says its a joint venture between Zegna and Ferragamo "Zefer" or whatever. The sales people in the TF store say its done by workshops in naples. The sales people at bergdorf say its done by a neopolitan shoe company can't really remember the name "maxvera napoli" or something along those lines. IMO i have a feeling they are made by a bunch of different people, because some of the models have similar soles to that maxvera or whatever its called which is also carried at bergdorf goodman, and some look kinda similar to that high end ferragamo/zegna collaboration that trazzmesa (sp?)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads