Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Tom Ford shoes, what's the story?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ivon, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Geezer

Geezer Senior member

I'm sure they do. It's a coherent look, produced by someone who respects what's gone before and values craftsmanship.

2. Ivon

Ivon Senior member

I need to dropped off a pair of recently acquired G&Gs for heel protectors, my shoe repair guy is right behind the flagship Rosen store where they sell the TF. I was a bit cranky about the selection at Rosen that day, so I'll have another look at TF shoes. I noted the construction, but what set me off was the balance of the shoe, it had the most narrow waist I've ever seen, leading to that bulbous toe.

Over the years, I've gone through phases and have worn some out there looks. If you know Toronto stores, I shopped at Marc Laurent when it was on the north side of Bloor when Harry Bendayen owned it,I bought Japanese designers at Mari and Yushi back in the day as well. Guess I'm getting conservative in my old age, for work, I'm pretty four square, but I still channel my inner rock star tastes when I go out.

3. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

The overall sense of fun, play and pageantry in Tom Ford's line directly contradicts my own life of relentless poverty, pain and suffering. I can't afford it, though I am sincerely happy for those who can

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012

4. poincare0

poincare0 Well-Known Member

When you get down to it there is only one problem with TF shoes and that is the price

If priced 30% lower they would make sense but as it is they dont. On the other hand there seem to be plenty of generous souls in the US willing to partake with almost $900 for Barker Blacks -so I guess anything goes for some people

lol at this jeff13007 character that thinks TFs are the only cap toes that can be worn with jeans. As always it is all a matter of subjective taste but if one just repeats that mantra there is not much to say in this forum- so i will go out on a limb and say he is totally wrong

5. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

If you read a bit more carefully i said I wear my TF captoes in a casual setting, I never said anything about not being able to wear other captoes with jeans. If you have other captoes you like wearing with you jeans then good for you- so i will go out on a limb and say read more carefully before you try bashing people.

6. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

You don't like the styling of Tom Ford's jacket? Please leave. :tounge:

By the way, I tried on a Tom Ford sport coat today in a 38R... everything was perfect: the fit, the style, the feeling. Everything except for the price.

The wide lapels are great, especially among the sea of skinny lapel, short jackets everywhere.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012

7. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I agree.

and :lurk: at the tiff rising in the ocean.

8. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

Resurrecting this...I tried on those shoes in the earlier posts today and loved the look. I didn't mind the heel height and you barely notice it when wearing them, really.

One thing that made me take a step back (besides the price) was the Blake construction. The sales rep at NM wasn't sure if they were Blake or Goodyear (covered up with an additional layer). Are they, in fact, Blake constructed?

(i have a slight bias toward Goodyear being a Paraboot adherent.)

9. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

99% sure they are blake.

10. ivyleaguer

ivyleaguer Active Member

just picked up the black wingtips instead of the brown captoe at TF Rodeo drive. I was divided between the two but decided the black would be more versatile in my wardrobe. the brown wingtips are another story as they are 3200 USD plus taxes and a 10 week made to measure date. Must be the male shoe equivalent of a Hermes Birkin bag. I will pick up the brown captoe later in the year. Hopefully the Dubai store is carrying them. [

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012

11. ivyleaguer

ivyleaguer Active Member

I just picked up the black wingtips instead of the brown capstone at TF Rodeo drive. I was divided between the two but decided the black would be more versatile in my wardrobe. the brown wingtips are another story as they are 3200 USD plus taxes and a 10 week made to measure date. Must be the male shoe equivalent of a Hermes Birkin bag. I will pick up the brown capstone later in the year. Hopefully the Dubai store is carrying them.

[​IMG]

12. Zeppelin

Zeppelin Senior member

Hm, lately I've had the opportunity to get a hands-on (feet-on?) experience of his shoes. While he talks in the OWN documentary about the proportions of the shoes and how he hates if certain things are 'off', to me the shoes are out of proportion in general. Most of them seemed very bulky and I'm not a fan of the chiseled toe (ok subjective), it makes the bigger sizes look even bigger. Oh, and the heel height... might work for The Sarto [​IMG]

13. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor

Both are stunning.

14. blahman

blahman Senior member

Who are those made for? Sideshow Bob?

15. David Reeves

David Reeves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Very Bowie those shoes