• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tom Ford Shirts (Fit and authenticity)

Panos

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am planing to buy some TF shirts online from ebay or SF and I need a couple of advices.
I already own two of them, bought from Madison Av. boutique.

Fit:
So, the first question is if the TF shirts have different fits/lines. Those that I have, fit to me perfectly but I can't determine if there are slim fit, which they should be as I am a really slim guy. The only thing that I can see, is that are Made in Switzerland in size 38/15.

Tags:
The second one is regarding the authenticity. I've seen many different shirts on ebay, some of them are Made in Italy and some of them are Made in Switzerland. From what I've read here, this is normal as the factory is in the border line between Italy and Switzerland (correct?).

What I can't understad is the different kind of sizing tags that I've seen.

Here are some examples:

1. Here is one shirt which is advertised as 15/38 made in Italy. The sizing tag only says:"Made in Italy 48".
  2. Here is a different shirt from the same seller, again made in Italy. The sizing tag in this case says: "Made in Italy --- 44. 17&1/2".
  3. Here is another one (different seller) which is advertised as 15.5. The seller says that the shirt is Made in Italy and the tag is here.
  4. Mine shirts which are 100% original, their tags say: "Made in Switzerland ---- 38 / 15. Exactly like this one, which is again from the seller.

Why the first one says 48 instead of 38?
Am I right to assume that the first and the third are fake? Having as a guide the Made in Switzerland ones that I bought from Madison Av. Only the second and the fourth should be original.

Last edited:

JChance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Italian sizing is 10 up from US sizing, so IT 48 is the equivalent of US 38. If the shirt you have fit you perfectly, why not take some measurements and compare it to the ones of the seller, especially the 4th one listed that has the same tag as yours?

Panos

Reaction score
The UK/US sizes on shirts represents the collar size, in my case this is 15 and the equivalent EU size is 38. That's why on the first case it doesn't really makes sense the 48.

My problem is not about the size, the problem is that those tags write different things. I was expecting to see in every tag "Made in Switzerland" or "Italy" and then its size. Like on the first, second and 4th shirt.

All those shirts that I've listed are not on the same size. I am just comparing the tags in order to understand if any of those are fake. Some of them must be, it doesn't really makes sense to have so many different kind of sizing tags. I could understand if there was a difference between the Italian and the Swiss but not three different kinds of sizing tags in the Italian.

So far I have found three different tags for the Italian.

The first one, Made in Italy 15/48. What bothers me here is that states 48 instead of 38.
The second one 17/ 44(1/2). That one looks original to me.
The third one which states just 39. What bothers me here is that doesn't state the manufacture country and the US size.

If you are asking me, I would say that the second one is the only original from the Italians. Is there anyone here with an Italian shirt which was bought from a TF boutique in order to see how it should be?

Last edited:

hikari013

Reaction score
FWIW, I have a shirt that is exactly like #3. All it says is '39'. It was bought in Europe, so it doesn't have the US sizing information on it.

As for the fit, the European market shirts are usually darted for a slimmer fit. I don't know about the american market ones. Best to compare measurements.

I don't know what the deal is with the first shirt and its size 48, but the only definitely fake Tom Ford shirts I've seen were these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150794963689#ht_500wt_1287
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150790490751#ht_500wt_1287

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
personally, i wouldnt buy TF online. I wear very slim shirts....even have slim fit shirts taken in....but i bought a TF shirt in my size and it was WAY too tight to wear. Before i can buy another id have to try it on in person. YMMV

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are a few safe sellers for TF shirts. I'd recommend pocketcircle.

Stylishmartita

Reaction score
Is this shirt advertised as a 38/15??? Italian firms generally use 38/15 for the shirts collar. You could also find only "48" which is the equivalent of the US "38" for t-shirts and clothing, but the tag "15/48" doesn't make any sense...

vpather

Reaction score
Why do some sellers red out the label and cut the tags and what does this actually mean?

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

Why do some sellers red out the label and cut the tags and what does this actually mean?

so they cant be returned to the retail store.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads