• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tom Ford self-tie bow tie n00b question...

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a quick question about a Tom Ford bow tie....it's my first bow tie and I decided to go for a real deal self-tie one. However, I'm a little confused because there's a metal clasp in the back where you can just hook it up to wear it without actually tying anything. It's supposed to be self-tie so I found this a little strange....can I just cut the thread in the back that's holding the pre-made tie knot together so that I can tie this thing for real? Maybe this is a stupid question, but I wanted to check with some experts before I start slashing up the back of the tie. Thanks!

Petko

Reaction score
To my knowledge, all Tom Ford bowties are like this:
DLhP9.jpg
They all come pre-tied and you simply adjust the length to your neck size and clip-on. A real self-tie bowtie looks like this:
K2ts3.jpg
It also has an adjustable length, but it's simply so you don't have all this excess bow after you do the knot.

celeste_pista

Reaction score
the shape of the bow tie requires it to be tied in a certain spot, thus teh clasp is needed to adjust the slack to different size necks. adjust clasp to your neck size, and then tie it like you do your shoelaces. you'll figure it out.

caveat: i don't own any TF bow ties, so if their system is different from everyone else I defer to a big tymer expert.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Petko

Reaction score
Tom Ford bowties come pretied, but can be self-tied if really desired. It's just that they don't come in one piece (like the previously pictured Hermes). As a consequence, the hook and loop can sometimes wiggle itself undone whilst tying, especially in a morning's rush. IMO, coming in two pieces, it's simply easier to be kept pre-tied as something you can just clip when ready to wear. More pics:
Is4LI.jpg
Ch9W9.jpg

Petko

Reaction score
I guess my point is that Tom Ford bowties can either be self-tied or hooked up and worn - it's up to whoever is wearing it (although I'm fairly certain it was designed for the latter).

Icehawk

Reaction score
Self-tie usually come with an adjuster (see the Hermes pic) unless you custom order the length - I have one like that and it requires you to tie it just right since there isn't any wiggle room with the band - the adjuster lets a self-tie still fit a wide variety of neck sizes.

I'd leave the TF alone if you like the knot since it is probably permanently creased at the folds at this point.

mic

Reaction score
Most self-tie bowties do indeed allow for some adjustment, as they are, as someone noted, best tied at a "sweet spot". The ones I have collected either have buttons or one of those sliding bracket doohickies (sort of like a d-ring).

If there were multiple loops for the hook to fit, allowing the wearer to choose the overall length of the tie, then I would feel confident that this was the purpose of the hook and loop. However, that seems not to be the case, unless I misunderstood the OP.

I suspect that because so few people can actually tie a bow tie reliably, the option of having a fastening in the back is an attractive selling point. The purist can tie it himself, but a novice can have the SA tie it a the store, then go away with a functional bow-tie that can be re-attached. In fact, my first tie was tied by the SA and worn to a wedding in this manner. I got drunk and untied it, and it was 5 years before I finally learned how to tie the thing myself. But it was worth it.

OP, if in doubt, I suggest you contact the party that you purchased it from. You should also be able to walk into a quality menswear store and ask for help.

PS - from your tone, it sounds like this TF might not be the bow tie to be expirimenting with. You might want to find a $15 tie from Men's Wearhouse or even a $2 tie from Goodwill to learn how to tie a knot with. Feel free to send the TF to me and I'll keep it safe and warm for you.

Exalt

Reaction score
I have a velvet Tom Ford bow tie and I did not like the pre-tied knot so I cut the thread, which allowed me to tie it myself. It was difficult (most likely due to the thick fabric more than anything), but definitely possible. I also removed the wrinkles before tying. Basically, after you have cut the "connecting" thread, you treat it like any other bow tie and tie it while it is hooked (hard to explain without pictures).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads