• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tom Ford on Ebay UK customs question

Dw3610wm

Reaction score
ellaw guys, quick question:

My Friend thrifted a 80% cashmere and 20% silk Tom Ford jacket for an awesome $500, it is used but in BNWOT condition, he bought it from the UK and the seller was in NY; he already payed almost 30GBP shipping, would customs be anal about this and ask him to pay duty tax/VAT? Even though it has no tags on it?

Seller (on the page of the auction) has written only this regarding VAT;

Estimated VAT
Seller charges VAT for items dispatched to: NY (8.835%).

Nothing about UK, or UK customs.

Please lemme know guys I am sure there a couple of professional thrifters out there who can help!!

Best,

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably yes.

Some packages slip through, but generally they're getting hotter on parcels from the states.

Don't forget there's also the carrier admin fee at this end (RoyalMail is £8).

Last Pocket Square I bought from the states got caught and as it was 4p over the £18 value threshold it cost me an additional £10 odd.

Could be an expensive bill.

Dw3610wm

Reaction score
crap but how will they know the value of it? I doubt customs people know Tom Ford; its shipped by UPS. Very strange as I bought around $60 worth of stuff shipped and nothing happened with customs they just delivered it to our hall of residence (were both students)... so lets see any more input is more than welcome!!

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dw3610wm
crap but how will they know the value of it? I doubt customs people know Tom Ford; its shipped by UPS. Very strange as I bought around $60 worth of stuff shipped and nothing happened with customs they just delivered it to our hall of residence (were both students)... so lets see any more input is more than welcome!!

If customs pick it up, it will charged on the value the seller has put on the customs declaration form attached to the parcel.

Dw3610wm

Reaction score
'BNWOT condition' was the phrase I used, any input though on possible screwing by way of customs? I hope this would not be the case!! How will they know who Tom Ford is and what price range he is in? Would it just be 10% of the 500 dollars he payed?

Dw3610wm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
If customs pick it up, it will charged on the value the seller has put on the customs declaration form attached to the parcel.

Sorry I posted before reading this, damn and would he give the full retail value? If thats the case my friend is completely fucked forgivemyfrench. I don't think he will mind paying 10 percent of 500$, but $5000 on the other hand... this is ridiculous that the seller didn't say anything (and a very reputable one, that), thank you so much for the input so far, please keep it coming very distressed atm!

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, customs go by marked value, not by what they think the item is worth based on actual knowledge of the brand. This is why I get sellers to make the value low for me.

I've bought from a seller recently who won't mark value lower than $100, and customs then charges VAT as if the $100 value is one hundred pounds sterling. I'm looking at the invoice now: at the old VAT rate, I paid £16.60 plus 13.50 clearance fee (that's express mail - priority is £8 as MoK said) for a total of £30.10 on an item that could've been only £65. So you could be paying a lot.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Assuming the seller has declared the value as $500, then you're looking at £8-£15 carrier fee, around £50 duty (12% I think) and then another £75ish VAT - so probably around £135. Obviously if the seller has put the value down as $5000 you can multiply it by ten...

It's not the sellers job to advise on import duty etc. that's the buyers responsibility.

Dw3610wm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by winston
Yes, customs go by marked value, not by what they think the item is worth based on actual knowledge of the brand. This is why I get sellers to make the value low for me.

I've bought from a seller recently who won't mark value lower than $100, and customs then charges VAT as if the $100 value is one hundred pounds sterling. I'm looking at the invoice now: at the old VAT rate, I paid £16.60 plus 13.50 clearance fee (that's express mail - priority is £8 as MoK said) for a total of £30.10 on an item that could've been only £65. So you could be paying a lot.

Assuming the seller has declared the value as $500, then you're looking at £8-£15 carrier fee, around £50 duty (12% I think) and then another £75ish VAT - so probably around £135. Obviously if the seller has put the value down as $5000 you can multiply it by ten...

It's not the sellers job to advise on import duty etc. that's the buyers responsibility.

Thank you very much for this guys, its very strange as I have shipped something worth $100 from the USA with no hitch, thats why I told him it would be fine shipping from U.S, damn I feel real stupid now... Surely though the seller should have mentioned something regarding this? If its a substantial amount of money like 135 pounds? He is a very reputable seller who makes a living doing this, so I can't understand the lack of information he would supply on this. Could it be possible that the seller has added these costs in his BUY IT NOW price (the option my friend took, he didn't wait for the auction to finish) and the Shipping charges?

Thank you for your input guys, really appreciate it! Looking forward to your replies..

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by winston

I wouldn't count on that. It's a crap shoot. If they look at it and decide it's worth more you risk having to convince it isn't. OTOH if it's used have the seller mark it has rags
wink.gif
Then it's priced by weight.

UPS is the devil's evil brother.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much for this guys, its very strange as I have shipped something worth $100 from the USA with no hitch, thats why I told him it would be fine shipping from U.S, damn I feel real stupid now... Surely though the seller should have mentioned something regarding this? If its a substantial amount of money like 135 pounds? He is a very reputable seller who makes a living doing this, so I can't understand the lack of information he would supply on this. Could it be possible that the seller has added these costs in his BUY IT NOW price (the option my friend took, he didn't wait for the auction to finish) and the Shipping charges?

Thank you for your input guys, really appreciate it! Looking forward to your replies..

The fees are nothing to do with the seller - they're between the importer (your friend) and HM Customs & Revenue.

Sometimes the Post Office/handler doesn't spot the parcel and it will go through without charges, other times (increasingly frequently) the parcel will be stopped. Purchases under £18 are exempt as are most gifts under £40 but above that fees apply. There's plenty of detail on the HM Revenue & Customs web pages:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/post/buying.htm

Dw3610wm

Reaction score
Thank you very much Nicola, I do see your point.. My point is that if its used, the price is completely subjective so I hope the seller (he has already shipped this a week or so a go) subject it to a very low price

The fees are nothing to do with the seller - they're between the importer (your friend) and HM Customs & Revenue.

Sometimes the Post Office/handler doesn't spot the parcel and it will go through without charges, other times (increasingly frequently) the parcel will be stopped. Purchases under £18 are exempt as are most gifts under £40 but above that fees apply. There's plenty of detail on the HM Revenue & Customs web pages:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/post/buying.htm

thanks for the link; it shows that only goods above £120 will have to be paid duty for, would a HMRC worker really value a blazer at more than £120 (provided that the seller has marked its value low)? As I am not sure they are the most knowledgeable in ultralux brands... I hope not anyway... If my friend does get screwed can we bounce the package back to the seller and get a refund (he does accept returns)? Thank you so much guys, please keep the input coming! My distress is easing haha

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much Nicola, I do see your point.. My point is that if its used, the price is completely subjective so I hope the seller (he has already shipped this a week or so a go) subject it to a very low price

thanks for the link; it shows that only goods above £120 will have to be paid duty for, would a HMRC worker really value a blazer at more than £120 (provided that the seller has marked its value low)? As I am not sure they are the most knowledgeable in ultralux brands... I hope not anyway... If my friend does get screwed can we bounce the package back to the seller and get a refund (he does accept returns)? Thank you so much guys, please keep the input coming! My distress is easing haha

I'm not sure where you're reading the 120. Its definitely 18 - as I said I got stung on 18 pound and 4 pence. He'll be lucky if it doesn't cost him bit. If he gets charged more than the 130 ish due on a $500 purchase he may be able to dispute it with evidence of the purchase price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads