• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tom Ford marketing revealed

set you free

Reaction score
Tom Ford has developed a revolutionary, innovative marketing technique to sell his goods.

He gives his clothing to good looking celebrities and makes sure the clothing is properly tailored so that the celebrities look good when photographed. This tricks not-so-good-looking rich people into thinking that if they buy clothes from Tom Ford, they will look as good as the celebrities. But it is false.

In a newspaper article he mentioned that he learned this trick from his clubbing days. Club managers would let in good looking young women for free, and the women would lure the rich bankers who would spend lots of money on overpriced bottles and table service. Tom grasped this significance of this device and applied it to clothing sales.

Tom Ford is a genius, and now you know how he does it.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holy awesome revelations Batman!
bounce2.gif

Dang, it's so simple it boggles the mind!

And here I thought that Tom Ford must be a Martian, him being so smart and all

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was disappointed that the Tom Ford scandal and the Deep Throat-like way the OP broke the news to the Tom Ford SA did not make the front page of today's New York Post.

hadamulletonce

Reaction score
I think he learned this from working in the fashion industry for the last 20 years, or just picking up a copy of Esquire or GQ.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm glad you posted this, because I was just thinking: What we really need around here is another TF thread.

adambparker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Gents,

This Tom Ford fellow sounds intriguing. I assume he's a promising young newcomer? Please do tell me more.

Yours,
JH Holliday

I hear there are forum members out there who have actually purchased a TF suit (it may even have been altered for them) with great success.

Try searching "Tom Ford" and report back.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by adambparker
I hear there are forum members out there who have actually purchased a TF suit (it may even have been altered for them) with great success.

Try searching "Tom Ford" and report back.

Don't bother looking...it's just an urban legend.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

set you free

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
does this thom ford do similar styles to tom browne? haha

No, Tom Ford and Thom Browne are nothing alike.

Tom Ford's strategy is based on convincing rich people that if they buy Tom Ford products they will look as good as the good looking people who are given Tom Ford products.
Thom Brown's strategy is based on convincing people that if they buy Thom Browne products, they will look no more ridiculous than the good looking models made to look ridiculous in Thom Browne clothing, so strangers will assume that they to, despite their ridiculous appearance, are really good looking underneath their Thom Browne clothes.

DoTheGrownup

Reaction score
I thought Tom Ford's marketing strategy was to hire women, have them shave their private places, and then cover said private places with his products.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads