Tom Ford Autumn/Winter 2011

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mac, Jun 21, 2011.

1. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

2. Learn-O-Rama

Learn-O-Rama Well-Known Member

Looks like an early 70s take on the 30s.

The Sting has won Best Picture of the Year, again!

3. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

4. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

what I expect from Ford is

Colors - rich shades like purple (plum), green (forest), mustard or even just interesting shades of basics like black, white, navy, gray
    Patterns - either bold checks, houndstooths, etc often playing with the size/scale
    Textures - soft and fuzzy or plush. things you just want to stroke or squeeze.
    Shape - Generally hard angles with padding and structure to emphasize like suits with hard V angles, outerwear with long sharp lines and strong cuts.

just a general 'overdone'-ness on every shape, angle, texture, and color but in a way that combines obnoxiousness with class. Meaning 'I'm so fucking rich I can wear whatever I want'.

etc.

5. mrbateman

mrbateman Well-Known Member

I like that he is bringing the SS '11 color blocking trend into the Fall but I generally think this collection leaves alot to be desired. Maybe he spent too much time working on the womenswear (which is amazing) this season. I am not a fan of the wider leg pants or the fact that many of his overcoats look like they are made for pimps. I also think the pique lapel is getting too big.

I own one Tom Ford suit and I wear it occasionally to social, semi-formal evening events but I think he has designed himself out of my taste range at this point and it is unlikely that I will find something I want to purchase from him in the future.

Also, how does everyone feel about the motorcycle tabs on lapels? I saw it on a few Zegna blazers recently too. Too trendy?

6. oldog/oldtrix

oldog/oldtrix Senior member

The cuts seem a lot more full, particularly in the trousers, than his previous collections. The overcoats all seem at least a size too large as well

Well, I never....

7. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

Any ideas how much that brown otter fur coat might cost? I want it to the point of feeling really quite sick.

8. David Reeves

David Reeves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

I like the use of white and caramel and have always liked cable knits. I think that trouser shape is bang on the very tapered look will be gone in a year. Wider shoulders is interesting looks quite Tommy Nutter, I think the coats should have been an inch longer.

9. Roman_empire

Roman_empire Well-Known Member

Colors, patterns and textures are really nice.
    Cut of the pants :-(
    Overcoats ok, but a tad too large and a bit too p.i.m.p.
    What is going on with the white socks, Michael Jackson revival?
    I also wouldn't wear french cuff shirts with knit sweaters.

10. WBaker

WBaker Senior member

Yeah that PoW trench coat is pretty insane. Giant suit shoulders are odd, but to be honest it works well with the whole over the top Tom Ford mystique.

11. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

Any ideas how much that brown otter fur coat might cost? I want it to the point of feeling really quite sick.
    I'm thinking around 30+. I want look 7 jacket badly... White moleskin with beaver lining and the Grey Fur parka (look 20) [​IMG]

12. David Reeves

David Reeves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

I'm thinking around 30+. I want look 7 jacket badly... White moleskin with beaver lining and the Grey Fur parka (look 20)

[​IMG]

I like this one too. White is my favorite color though.

13. Mac

Mac Senior member

Where did you get those photos musicguy? I can't find a website from the photo link.

14. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

Where did you get those photos musicguy? I can't find a website from the photo link.

Only one photo found... http://www.fashionising.com/clothing...W-11-5801.html

You can use snipping tool and upload to imageshack or something.

15. isterling

isterling New Member

Ok. So I own a Tom Ford suit, as well as a few other pieces... and generally I admit I am a TF fanboy, to where it is almost pathetic. However... I am not a fan of this collection. I get a bit of a burberry feel from some of it, and I find it sort of, well, lackluster. First thing that came to mind from this was: http://api.ning.com/files/hiLZfGggQj...JasonOrtiz.png New TF Private Blend release: Sex Panther.