• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tom Ford A-, B- and C-cut

Rokkenbole

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I´m rather new here on this forum and this is one of my first posts (so bear with me if I do it all wrong...) Fantastic forum btw!

The thing I wanted to ask you people out there was if any of you knew of the different Tom Ford suit cuttings? I´ve been to TF in Zürich and in the shop-in-shop at Harrod´s and both places the salesmen told me that Tom Ford has three different silhouettes on his suits. They each had their name which I´ve forgotten, but they were also referred to as the A cut, the B cut and the C cut. Does anybody know what I´m talking about here and if so; what differenciates the different cuts? I remember trying on them all, but preferred one of them. Can´t remember if it was A, B or C. And no, I wasn´t drunk, just a little intoxicated by the whole atmosphere in the TF store. I been addicted to TF since 1997.

Regards-

Tom Ford Love

Reaction score
I have not heard of this but I am intrigued.

DPD

Reaction score
I've been told that there are two Tom Ford blocks / cuts; and can say that I've purchased from both in the past.

I have a TF sportscoat that is labelled 40R, but is (I'm told) marked as being a larger block. It fits like a 42 across the chest, though the shoulders fall like a 40. The sleeves are cut like a 40R, while the hem / skirt sits more like a 40L.

At the same time I have a TF sportscoat which is labelled 40R and fits precisely like that; this was from the smaller block the boutique told me.

KenRose

Reaction score
They actually have 4 cuts; Base A, Base B, Base C and Base D. The only jackets I've seen in the Base D was those smoking jackets and dressing gowns. Most suits are in Base A (fullest cut) and Base B (more fitted). I've seen a few suits in a Base C, but I'm a fat guy so I didn't even bother trying them on. I think his more flamboyant blazers might be Base C as well.

Rokkenbole

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
You must be having a field day in B&S this week then, huh?

Hehe, yes I am
smile.gif

Rokkenbole

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KenRose
They actually have 4 cuts; Base A, Base B, Base C and Base D. The only jackets I've seen in the Base D was those smoking jackets and dressing gowns. Most suits are in Base A (fullest cut) and Base B (more fitted). I've seen a few suits in a Base C, but I'm a fat guy so I didn't even bother trying them on. I think his more flamboyant blazers might be Base C as well.

Thank you!

Rokkenbole

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DPD
I've been told that there are two Tom Ford blocks / cuts; and can say that I've purchased from both in the past.

I have a TF sportscoat that is labelled 40R, but is (I'm told) marked as being a larger block. It fits like a 42 across the chest, though the shoulders fall like a 40. The sleeves are cut like a 40R, while the hem / skirt sits more like a 40L.

At the same time I have a TF sportscoat which is labelled 40R and fits precisely like that; this was from the smaller block the boutique told me.

Thank you!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads