Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Tom Ford A-, B- and C-cut

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Rokkenbole, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Rokkenbole

Rokkenbole Active Member

Hello everybody,

I´m rather new here on this forum and this is one of my first posts (so bear with me if I do it all wrong...) Fantastic forum btw!

The thing I wanted to ask you people out there was if any of you knew of the different Tom Ford suit cuttings? I´ve been to TF in Zürich and in the shop-in-shop at Harrod´s and both places the salesmen told me that Tom Ford has three different silhouettes on his suits. They each had their name which I´ve forgotten, but they were also referred to as the A cut, the B cut and the C cut. Does anybody know what I´m talking about here and if so; what differenciates the different cuts? I remember trying on them all, but preferred one of them. Can´t remember if it was A, B or C. And no, I wasn´t drunk, just a little intoxicated by the whole atmosphere in the TF store. I been addicted to TF since 1997.

Regards-

2. Tom Ford Love

Tom Ford Love Well-Known Member

I have not heard of this but I am intrigued.

3. DPD

DPD Member

I've been told that there are two Tom Ford blocks / cuts; and can say that I've purchased from both in the past.

I have a TF sportscoat that is labelled 40R, but is (I'm told) marked as being a larger block. It fits like a 42 across the chest, though the shoulders fall like a 40. The sleeves are cut like a 40R, while the hem / skirt sits more like a 40L.

At the same time I have a TF sportscoat which is labelled 40R and fits precisely like that; this was from the smaller block the boutique told me.

4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I been addicted to TF since 1997.

You must be having a field day in B&S this week then, huh?

5. KenRose

KenRose Senior member

They actually have 4 cuts; Base A, Base B, Base C and Base D. The only jackets I've seen in the Base D was those smoking jackets and dressing gowns. Most suits are in Base A (fullest cut) and Base B (more fitted). I've seen a few suits in a Base C, but I'm a fat guy so I didn't even bother trying them on. I think his more flamboyant blazers might be Base C as well.

6. Rokkenbole

Rokkenbole Active Member

You must be having a field day in B&S this week then, huh?

Hehe, yes I am [​IMG]

7. Rokkenbole

Rokkenbole Active Member

They actually have 4 cuts; Base A, Base B, Base C and Base D. The only jackets I've seen in the Base D was those smoking jackets and dressing gowns. Most suits are in Base A (fullest cut) and Base B (more fitted). I've seen a few suits in a Base C, but I'm a fat guy so I didn't even bother trying them on. I think his more flamboyant blazers might be Base C as well.

Thank you!

8. Rokkenbole

Rokkenbole Active Member

I've been told that there are two Tom Ford blocks / cuts; and can say that I've purchased from both in the past.

I have a TF sportscoat that is labelled 40R, but is (I'm told) marked as being a larger block. It fits like a 42 across the chest, though the shoulders fall like a 40. The sleeves are cut like a 40R, while the hem / skirt sits more like a 40L.

At the same time I have a TF sportscoat which is labelled 40R and fits precisely like that; this was from the smaller block the boutique told me.

Thank you!