Tom Ford A-, B- and C-cut

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Rokkenbole, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Rokkenbole

Rokkenbole Active Member

Hello everybody,

I´m rather new here on this forum and this is one of my first posts (so bear with me if I do it all wrong...) Fantastic forum btw!

The thing I wanted to ask you people out there was if any of you knew of the different Tom Ford suit cuttings? I´ve been to TF in Zürich and in the shop-in-shop at Harrod´s and both places the salesmen told me that Tom Ford has three different silhouettes on his suits. They each had their name which I´ve forgotten, but they were also referred to as the A cut, the B cut and the C cut. Does anybody know what I´m talking about here and if so; what differenciates the different cuts? I remember trying on them all, but preferred one of them. Can´t remember if it was A, B or C. And no, I wasn´t drunk, just a little intoxicated by the whole atmosphere in the TF store. I been addicted to TF since 1997.

Regards-

2. Tom Ford Love

Tom Ford Love Well-Known Member

I have not heard of this but I am intrigued.

3. DPD

DPD Member

I've been told that there are two Tom Ford blocks / cuts; and can say that I've purchased from both in the past.

I have a TF sportscoat that is labelled 40R, but is (I'm told) marked as being a larger block. It fits like a 42 across the chest, though the shoulders fall like a 40. The sleeves are cut like a 40R, while the hem / skirt sits more like a 40L.

At the same time I have a TF sportscoat which is labelled 40R and fits precisely like that; this was from the smaller block the boutique told me.

4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I been addicted to TF since 1997.

You must be having a field day in B&S this week then, huh?

5. KenRose

KenRose Senior member

They actually have 4 cuts; Base A, Base B, Base C and Base D. The only jackets I've seen in the Base D was those smoking jackets and dressing gowns. Most suits are in Base A (fullest cut) and Base B (more fitted). I've seen a few suits in a Base C, but I'm a fat guy so I didn't even bother trying them on. I think his more flamboyant blazers might be Base C as well.

6. Rokkenbole

Rokkenbole Active Member

You must be having a field day in B&S this week then, huh?

Hehe, yes I am [​IMG]

7. Rokkenbole

Rokkenbole Active Member

They actually have 4 cuts; Base A, Base B, Base C and Base D. The only jackets I've seen in the Base D was those smoking jackets and dressing gowns. Most suits are in Base A (fullest cut) and Base B (more fitted). I've seen a few suits in a Base C, but I'm a fat guy so I didn't even bother trying them on. I think his more flamboyant blazers might be Base C as well.

Thank you!

8. Rokkenbole

Rokkenbole Active Member

I've been told that there are two Tom Ford blocks / cuts; and can say that I've purchased from both in the past.

I have a TF sportscoat that is labelled 40R, but is (I'm told) marked as being a larger block. It fits like a 42 across the chest, though the shoulders fall like a 40. The sleeves are cut like a 40R, while the hem / skirt sits more like a 40L.

At the same time I have a TF sportscoat which is labelled 40R and fits precisely like that; this was from the smaller block the boutique told me.

Thank you!