• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tom Ford $990 Denim

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
i agree that it would offer value to someone out there. i dont need gold lined buttons or silk pockets.

I'm once again mystified by your apparent need to repeatedly tell everyone you won't buy certain things.

The details (gold buttons, silk lining, TF name) seem bizarre and unnecessary to me as well, but those could be very desirable aspects to some consumers that would lead the value to eclipse the cost. It seems unlikely to me that there will be anything explicitly "wrong" with the jeans (e.g., fugliness), so I wouldn't deem it to be an objectionable purchase by any means.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by notwithit
I'm once again mystified by your apparent need to repeatedly tell everyone you won't buy certain things. Both the details (gold buttons, silk lining, TF name) seem bizarre and unnecessary to me as well, but those could be very desirable aspects to some consumers that would lead the value to eclipse the cost. It seems unlikely to me that there will be anything explicitly "wrong" with the jeans (e.g., fugliness), so I wouldn't deem it to be an objectionable purchase by any means.
stop reading my posts then.

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm once again mystified by your apparent need to repeatedly tell everyone you won't buy certain things. Both the details (gold buttons, silk lining, TF name) seem bizarre and unnecessary to me as well, but those could be very desirable aspects to some consumers that would lead the value to eclipse the cost. It seems unlikely to me that there will be anything explicitly "wrong" with the jeans (e.g., fugliness), so I wouldn't deem it to be an objectionable purchase by any means.
idk, dudh. Gold plated buttons are pretty fugly.

andrewgreg

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
This is a very well made and decent Jeans. and just like Uncoltrol. I would not consider to buy it.
For jeans I need a pair of what fits me and my style. I would consider acne, A.P.C, J Brand , the stuff you can find at Barney's Co-OP. Dior make very good raw denim also.

What I want to say it, this is not a suit, just a pair of jeans. I don't need the best fancy high-end name on that.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meh. I kinda like the idea of gold plated buttons and silk lined pockets. Maybe someone should steal the idea and do it for 1/3 the cost.

Really though these types of items get there value simply by virtue of allowing the purchaser to be able to spend his money. I don't know how many times I've heard people describe an item only by its price, as in "this was the most expensive couch they had in the store." Saying "these jeans cost 300 but I got them on sale for 150 and they're as good as any 1,000 jeans out there" does not have the same ring as
"these jeans cost a grand, I just bought five."

haiguise

Reaction score
I don't see what the big deal is. It's Tom Ford. He can charge whatever he wants for clothing because he's Tom Ford. His clothing exudes sex, arguably more than any other designer. What's worse are those Kiton jeans that are around the same price, but look like dad jeans.
Originally Posted by shibbel
3230430066_58db751984.jpg

That looks photoshopped or at least 10 years old. TF wouldn't wear a jacket like that now.

Made in California

Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
Oh come on, there are people that pay $3000 for non-leather jackets and trench coats, as well as $600+ for shirts, yes shirts. Anybody who buys such pieces and wants to play the quality card is kidding themselves.

$990 for a pair of jeans is steep, but if they're the most amazing looking pairs of jeans and made you want to wear them more than any of your other $300 jeans, surely it is worth the price of admission. Plus this is retail, I bet the price would be in the range of $500-$600 (not far from 45rpm) through discounts and even cheaper used.

Here's a pair of jeans selling USED for almost the same price. (owner mentions paying $1600 retail) Granted, they are by CCP, which have quite a name behind them, but it illustrates the point.
http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk...d.php?t=140539

Dior Homme waxed jeans cost around $500 also and they get the thumbs up from many.

I'm not saying these jeans are guaranteed to be great or good, but lets not be hypocritical or delusional about this.

Also I bet SoCal already has a pair. :p

Completely agree. This is a new luxury item and it's under the Tom Ford label. A new luxury item comes out every day. These have unique aspects to them that no other jeans, or almost no other jeans, have. $1000 is good price point for an item you know people can't get down the street at the Versace store.

I'm once again mystified by your apparent need to repeatedly tell everyone you won't buy certain things.

The details (gold buttons, silk lining, TF name) seem bizarre and unnecessary to me as well, but those could be very desirable aspects to some consumers that would lead the value to eclipse the cost. It seems unlikely to me that there will be anything explicitly "wrong" with the jeans (e.g., fugliness), so I wouldn't deem it to be an objectionable purchase by any means.

+10, whatever - you seem indignant at the idea that someone would even make the jeans in the first place. I personally think it's awesome if you can sell jeans for $1000. And you can't tell me there aren't people out there that are walking around thinking, "Man, it'd be cool if I could line my jean pockets in silk. It'd be cool if this button was gold-plated." I guarantee there are a slew of people like that, and some of them don't notice the difference in price between $300 and $1000.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
i did in fact say i thought there are some people who would indeed buy these, just not me. as i mentioned before i dont see the value in these for the reason i stated above.

i have been wearing japanese denim for the past five years and i am very picky when it comes to jeans. the fact that it says tf on it doesnt do anything for me. but if it works for you i think thats great.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauro
who ever buys these jeans is
A. marsupialed
B. has way to much money on their hands ( I will gladly help them spend it at my store)
C. is so insecure and such a label whore they should seek help.

Best,
mauro

Originally Posted by stylist
LOL I got these jeans today for $175. They are amazing! Very plain though. Also got some blazers for $300 Sweaters for $150. Marked down very very very STEEP!

the fact that you bumped a thread this old with your post certainly points, at the very least, to C being correct.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the reason why you buy $300 Japanese jeans instead of $30 Levis?

What's the reason why you buy $990 Tom Ford jeans instead of $300 Japanese jeans?

C-Note

Reaction score
That's not really a reasonable, valid comparison. There's virtually always a certain point where it just gets ridiculous and everyone should know that.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
stop reading my posts then.

Ha, ha, fair enough. If I block you, though, it's going to be confusing reading the "I have a jean" thread; I won't be able to tell who's recommending every noob who asks a question to buy from BiG.

j/k, you have some good posts (outside of the ROY thread, at least).
smile.gif

Originally Posted by shibbel
idk, dudh. Gold plated buttons are pretty fugly.

Didn't somebody else use gold-plated buttons? I wanna say Nudie had a limited-edition model or something.

Originally Posted by haiguise
TF wouldn't wear a jacket like that now.

Yeah, don't the MC traditionalists usually rag on TF jackets for being so short? Not that he necessarily goes around wearing his own stuff all the time, but it seems kind of incongruous.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Ha, ha, fair enough. If I block you, though, it's going to be confusing reading the "I have a jean" thread; I won't be able to tell who's recommending every noob who asks a question to buy from BiG. j/k, you have some good posts (outside of the ROY thread, at least).
smile.gif
Didn't somebody else use gold-plated buttons? I wanna say Nudie had a limited-edition model or something. Yeah, don't the MC traditionalists usually rag on TF jackets for being so short? Not that he necessarily goes around wearing his own stuff all the time, but it seems kind of incongruous.

you poor guy. if you dont agree with my recs then make another one. make sense?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads