• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tom Cruise's scientology indoctrination video

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
I think the Book of Mormon is pretty silly as well, but most mainstream mormons are great people and they don't have to pay to join.

Much as I love to make fun of various religions and all, this is (in my experience) true. Mormonism is full of completely ridiculous teachings, but when it comes down to it, most Mormons I've known have been genuinely pretty good people.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
LOL caught red-handed.
smile.gif

Well, don't grip so hard. If your first doesn't turn out to a virgin, you'll be disappointed.
devil.gif

Bogie

Reaction score
You're talking about Christianity in it's Biblical form. I'm speaking realistically. I agree with you Biblically, trust me, I went to Bible College, and think that if this were the reality, the world would be a better place.

But the fact of the matter is that most Christians aren't like Christ whatsoever, so when you are arguing the Christianity that should be taught and I'm arguing the Christianity that is seen in everyday life, that's where we are butting heads.

Aye, I'd agree on that. It sure isn't easy trying to be like Jesus. I mean come on....he's Jesus.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quirk
Well, don't grip so hard. If your first doesn't turn out to a virgin, you'll be disappointed.
devil.gif

crackup[1].gif

That's just freakin hilarious lol.. I had to read it twice and THEN think about it for a second on top of it before it hit me.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
Much as I love to make fun of various religions and all, this is (in my experience) true. Mormonism is full of completely ridiculous teachings, but when it comes down to it, most Mormons I've known have been genuinely pretty good people.
Yet another example of why Southpark will stand the test of time for their social commentary. Their Mormonism episode, and specifically the final dialogue from the token Mormon kid spoke to just this point, while ending his speech with a "******* balls". Genius.

jessetk313

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
It's pretty impressive that he manages to say absolutely nothing and it takes him 9 minutes to do so

Thats exactly what I was thinking after watching it
bounce2.gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
maybe he has a future in politics.

rxcats

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
While evangelicals are pretty startling, mainstream Christianity has had an overall positive impact upon society - religious people donate far more than secular people to charity, are more involved in the community, etc. Also, you don't have to pay to attend church/temple/mosque.

You can hate on big bad Christianity all you want, but I seriously doubt that Scientology will ever produce a Martin Luther King, Mother Theresa, Norm Borlaug, etc...

First of all, I don't "hate on big bad Christianity"; some of my best friends are Christian
smile.gif
. I am also not so sure that religious people donate more than secular people, unless you mean donate to their own organized religion/church. Bill Gates considers himself secular (agnostic) and certainly donates a tremendous amount to the truly needy. I don't think that morals or generosity necessarily go hand in hand with belief in God(s) or atheism; some people are good and generous and some people are not.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rxcats
I am also not so sure that religious people donate more than secular people, unless you mean donate to their own organized religion/church.

This is statistically certain (for charity, not churches).

Karo

Reaction score
That is some fucked up ****.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
True. Comparing any religion/cult in more recent times to Christianity/Islam/Far Eastern religions is futile.

Christianity was in its onset thought to just be another cult by most Romans, was it not?

I'm not saying that in 2,000 years Scientology will be what Christianity is today.... I'm just purely saying you can't compare the two with any kind of accuraccy.

That's true and that's why the comparison should not be made. Certainly every major religion has had good and bad people and things happen over the course of 1000+ years so let's call it wash. The thing that creeps me out about scientology is the reports about really violent and subversive cult like behavior where people are bilked out of their money in a fashion that sounds like a ponzi scheme.

rxcats

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
This is statistically certain (for charity, not churches).
Statistically certain? Whose statistics? I am not trying to argue it; I am really interested. I don't see how one could come up with any accurate or unbiased statistics on something like that. One thing IS for sure, a lot of free thinkers (atheists, agonistics, non-believers), have been among the biggest (no actually THE BIGGEST) philanthropists. http://humaniststudies.org/enews/ind...=252&article=0 It has been my experience that religion (or lack thereof) has little to do with a person's basic moral compass.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is funny!

This guy's videos rips into everybody!

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rxcats
Statistically certain? Whose statistics? I am not trying to argue it; I am really interested. I don't see how one could come up with any accurate or unbiased statistics on something like that.

One thing IS for sure, a lot of free thinkers (atheists, agonistics, non-believers), have been among the biggest (no actually THE BIGGEST) philanthropists.

http://humaniststudies.org/enews/ind...=252&article=0

It has been my experience that religion (or lack thereof) has little to do with a person's basic moral compass.

Your first sentence states that you are not trying to argue, yet you don't see how anyone could produce unbiased statistics.

Then you assert that atheists are the biggest philanthropists and back it up with a website called "humaniststudies.org"

crackup[1].gif

Pretty funny.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CTGuy
That's true and that's why the comparison should not be made. Certainly every major religion has had good and bad people and things happen over the course of 1000+ years so let's call it wash. The thing that creeps me out about scientology is the reports about really violent and subversive cult like behavior where people are bilked out of their money in a fashion that sounds like a ponzi scheme.

Aren't muslims supposed to contribute something like 2% of their income to their mosque? How much do scientologists give?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads