• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tom Cruise's scientology indoctrination video

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The major religions are not as creepy because they have a historical context and don't flagrantly revolve around science fiction and pyramid schemes, a few zany factions notwithstanding.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dedalus
The major religions are not as creepy because they have a historical context and don't flagrantly revolve around science fiction and pyramid schemes, a few zany factions notwithstanding.

+1

Christianity, Islam, etc. are based in faith, which while hard to understand for some isn't nearly as strange as coming out with the stuff Scientologists do and claiming to base it in concrete reality.

Bogie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
And Scientology most likely will never produce Crusades or an Inquisition, either.

Neither did proper Christian teaching. Manipulated teaching by a corrupt hierarchy? Yes. What's actually in the bible? No.

While we're on the subject, I seem to recall it being a Christian who ended the slave trade in Great Britain. William Wilberforce.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And Scientology most likely will never produce Crusades or an Inquisition, either.

No, just Battlefield Earth.

battlefield-earth.jpg

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
No, just Battlefield Earth.

battlefield-earth.jpg

I missed that one. Was it any good?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
battlefield-earth.jpg

"Have you ever met an SP? mmwwaahahahaha ... mwaaahahaha"

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bogie
Neither did proper Christian teaching. Manipulated teaching by a corrupt hierarchy? Yes. What's actually in the bible? No.

While we're on the subject, I seem to recall it being a Christian who ended the slave trade in Great Britain. William Wilberforce.

We could debate and keep naming things that Christianity has had it's hand in that have been good and that have been bad for days... the point is, you can't say that Christianity's affect on society has been only good, while I can't say it has been only negative. Christianity, IMO, has affected society more than any one thing in the history of the world, so that comes along with all the good and all the bad.

Bogie

Reaction score
We could debate and keep naming things that Christianity has had it's hand in that have been good and that have been bad for days... the point is, you can't say that Christianity's affect on society has been only good, while I can't say it has been only negative. Christianity, IMO, has affected society more than any one thing in the history of the world, so that comes along with all the good and all the bad.

Well I would argue that proper Christian teaching rightly applied has been only good, but corrupted teaching and teaching wrongly applied has been almost always bad.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Well I would argue that proper Christian teaching rightly applied has been only good, but corrupted teaching and teaching wrongly applied has been almost always bad.

Hey, don't let us stop you. Go for it!
lurker[1].gif

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score

You're talking about Christianity in it's Biblical form. I'm speaking realistically. I agree with you Biblically, trust me, I went to Bible College, and think that if this were the reality, the world would be a better place.

But the fact of the matter is that most Christians aren't like Christ whatsoever, so when you are arguing the Christianity that should be taught and I'm arguing the Christianity that is seen in everyday life, that's where we are butting heads.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not just that this is lazy reasoning; it's that you know damned well that it is.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score

Well, since scientology doesn't go back to 750 years ago (in the case of the crusades) or 500 years ago (the inquisition), we'll never know.

And I said OVERALL effect.

That being said, the Scientologists are now beginning to branch out into charitable works. Good for them.

I think the Book of Mormon is pretty silly as well, but most mainstream mormons are great people and they don't have to pay to join.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Well, since scientology doesn't go back to 750 years ago (in the case of the crusades) or 500 years ago (the inquisition), we'll never know.

True. Comparing any religion/cult in more recent times to Christianity/Islam/Far Eastern religions is futile.

Christianity was in its onset thought to just be another cult by most Romans, was it not?

I'm not saying that in 2,000 years Scientology will be what Christianity is today.... I'm just purely saying you can't compare the two with any kind of accuraccy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads