Tokyo - where to shop?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Montesquieu, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Montesquieu

Montesquieu Senior member

I'll visit Tokyo on business for the first time next week. Since business relates to (online) retail, I can justify a half day shopping on Saturday. Any advice? I'm not necessarily looking to buy anything. I'd rather see Tokyo's best of the following:

- High-end department store
    - Men's boutique
    - Denim shop (will ask Kiya of Self Edge)

Any suggestions as to the best of each of those in Tokyo? Ideally they would be located near one another.

2. djrajio

djrajio Well-Known Member

If you don't have much time I would suggest you visit Shinjuku's Isetan Men's.

It pretty much has a little of everything that Tokyo men's retail shopping can provide in 8 floors.

Another good boutique is Estnation (Japan's answer to Barney's New York) in Roppongi Hills/Ginza.

3. mth

mth Well-Known Member

My two favorite men's boutiques in Tokyo are Strasburgo near the crossing of Omotesando and Aoyama Dori and The Sovereign House on Naka-dori in Marunouchi. However, if you want to get a good sampling of the boutiques within walking distance, I might suggest staying in the Harajuku/Omotesando area. You could start with Strasburgo, then head down Omotesando toward Meiji Dori, turn right and walk along Meiji Dori until you see the various Beams stores (where you can visit Beams F), and then turn right at the next street and visit the United Arrows flagship men's store.

Isetan Men's in Shinjuku would be the best department store to visit, although if you're in Ginza you can also look at Mitsukoshi, Matsuya, Matsuzakaya, etc. Takashimaya in Shinjuku may also be worth a look. There are also Barneys stores in Ginza and Shinjuku.

Denim stores tend to be a bit more spread out and harder to find, although you'll find a few in Harajuku/Omotesando, including 45RPM (which has several branches), Studio d'Artisan and others.

Feel free to PM me if you want any more specific information.

4. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I've been to the Barneys in Shinjuku and it's pretty small. With that said, they still have some very nice pieces and it's worth a look. They had some interesting labels there that I have not seen at the Barneys here in the states like Emilio Pucci shirts. There were a few more, but the names escape me at the moment It's been a good 5 years since I've been to Tokyo).

5. UpperWestie

UpperWestie Senior member

MTH is spot on. Hard to do better than that recommendation.

6. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I'll be in Tokyo for two weeks over Easter, so thanks for the recommendations. My question/concern is that I'm a 6'3" white dude who's 205 pounds. Will there be anything even remotely in my size in such previously-mentioned stores?

7. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

I'll be in Tokyo for two weeks over Easter, so thanks for the recommendations. My question/concern is that I'm a 6'3" white dude who's 205 pounds. Will there be anything even remotely in my size in such previously-mentioned stores?

you are shit out of luck.

There's not even a Japanese equivalent of the Big and Tall either.

8. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

I'll visit Tokyo on business for the first time next week. Since business relates to (online) retail, I can justify a half day shopping on Saturday. Any advice? I'm not necessarily looking to buy anything. I'd rather see Tokyo's best of the following:

- High-end department store
    - Men's boutique
    - Denim shop (will ask Kiya of Self Edge)

Any suggestions as to the best of each of those in Tokyo? Ideally they would be located near one another.

Isetan will take you half a day. Best bang for the buck.

9. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

This.

I'm 6'2" and there's nothing I can buy there. I look but there are no sizes for me. I think I got a pocket square at Tomorrowland once but that's pretty much it.

10. Kuro

Kuro Senior member

Hankyu Men's has a big and tall section (although that's not Tokyo and 6'3" may be pushing it).

11. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

This.

I'm 6'2" and there's nothing I can buy there. I look but there are no sizes for me. I think I got a pocket square at Tomorrowland once but that's pretty much it.

Hankyu Men's has a big and tall section (although that's not Tokyo and 6'3" may be pushing it).

[​IMG] X 1,000,000

What the hell do you guys shop for, then? I guess I'll be going for knives, kitchenware, and . . . fuck, I don't know . . .

12. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG] X 1,000,000

What the hell do you guys shop for, then? I guess I'll be going for knives, kitchenware, and . . . fuck, I don't know . . .

Magazines, books, I guess. They have great bookstore and tons of specialized press - always bring back some watch and shoe magazines. Sometimes books - I have this awesome book on Napolitan tailors - don't understand a word but nice photos.

13. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I'm sure I WONT have a bad time.

14. dbc

dbc Senior member

Magazines, books, I guess. They have great bookstore and tons of specialized press - always bring back some watch and shoe magazines. Sometimes books - I have this awesome book on Napolitan tailors - don't understand a word but nice photos.

Tsutuya is an amazing collection of bookstores, I particularly like the one at Roppongi Hills.

15. Bic Pentameter

Bic Pentameter Senior member

[​IMG] X 1,000,000

I am not very tall, but am heavy. You can go bespoke or made to measure in Tokyo very very easily. (The made to measure place added 20% to the base price for people who are over 190((?) cm, or who are so wide that they use 3(?) meters or more of cloth).

Tokyo is great for men's accessories. The selection of neckties, wallets and man bags, hats, pocket squares and socks is wonderful. Also, depending on your waist size, you should be able to find belts. For example, the Regal shoe shop in Ginza had shell cordovan belts in colors such as #8, whiskey, and ravello.

Bic