• We would like to welcome Arterton as an official Affiliate Vendor. Arterton, based in the UK, specializes in fine accessories such as garment bags, umbrellas, and shoe care, as well as fine shoes and boots from Yearn Footwear Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

TOKYO is WAY too overwhelming

flashback

Reaction score
so I'm in Tokyo. I'll admit I could be better prepared, but unfortunately I am not. I know what types of jeans I would like to buy, but I don't really know my way around. I went to Harajuku today thinking that I could find some denim there - they didn't have what I wanted. I thought at the very least I could make friends with some English speaking people and they could point me in the right direction... that didn't happen either.

Anyone in Tokyo feel like helping me? I feel like a lost little child. I wish I had more time to devote to figuring this out on my own but I'm here on business and I just don't have tons of time to explore or even research stuff on the internet.

PLEASE HELP ME.

and if anyone wants free tix to the deftones show at Shibuya Duo on Wednesday, I can hook you up.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If its your first time there and you didnt research at all it can be overwhelming to wander around Tokyo. http://www.hellodamage.com/tdr/travelguide.htm this guy has some good advice for random stores and how to navigate your way around town. You want to find some Gaijin or people who speak english head to Roppongi.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
What are you looking for?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Go to Shinjuku station. Get outside. Go to the gigantic intersection (you'll know the one). Look for the EPSON building (it's tall). Go there and as you look at the EPSON sign, go to the right side of the building. Along that side is "American Blvd." where a bunch of shops are with tons of jeans. That's a good place to start that's easy to describe. Also, inside is Uniqlo, (one of?) the biggest one(s).

Then go to Ueno station and basically just wander around the area (I think it's west of the JR station, but I really can't remember now). There are tons of these shack-like stores all around the station, many of which have really cool streetwear type stuff.

I'd try to describe Harajuku and some of the other places we found, but it's been too long and it's so hard to give directions for Japan. I think trying to be on a serious quest to find a specific thing there could be nightmarish - it's a much better mindset to just explore around and see what you find.

Also, be sure not to miss Marui City - there are a bunch of these around in tall buildings. One in Shinjuku, one by the temple in Asakusa... go to the basement and wander around in the food area, then go to the top levels where the men's boutiques are.

I want to go back.

west coast wonderboy

Reaction score
I can remember my first day in Tokyo a couple years ago, having just discovered this forum and the madness of premium/raw denim...

I had a lot of luck by just going to harajuku station, wandering for a few hours, keeping to mostly the back alleys (those small streets that spiderweb throughout all of tokyo off the main streets). found a ton of cool vintage shops and ended up stocking up on some killer vintage levis.

can't offer much insight other than that, srry

flashback

Reaction score
yeah I spent quite a lot of time wandering those back alley streets in Harajuku yesterday. It was very cool, and I did buy some cool vintage sweatshirts. Had I not been looking for specific jeans I definitely would have enjoyed it immensely, but I was somewhat frustrated that every denim place I found was like True Religion on crack.

Anyway, I think I may check out Ueno by myself today. Wish me luck.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by flashback
eternals, SDA, PBJ...

take the train to UENO and look for the open markets. every jean is out there.

flashback

Reaction score
just got back from Ueno

found sugarcanes @ Hinoya

found eternals @ junk market

all in all I didn't do too bad, considering I was only there two hours. I may go back tomorrow, or try another location - possibly shibuya.

thx for the help all

Featured Sponsor

Friday Challenge "Suited and Booted" VOTE NOW

• An Acute Style

Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Bernoulli

Votes: 17 27.4%
  • Brennenman

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • cr2596

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Crafty Cumbrian